Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Appropriately ...

To:
Subject: A Message To UConn Fans
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 08:45:33 -0800

"Dear UConn Fans,

The only downside to hiring fine leaders for key positions at UConn is that their experience and skills are sought after by other institutions across the nation, who also want to hire strong leaders.

When Warde Manuel, our Athletic Director since 2012, told me he was interested in the AD position at the University of Michigan, I was not at all surprised; Michigan is his alma mater where he spent years of his life as a student-athlete, playing football for Bo Schembechler, participating in track and field, and earning his degrees, later becoming assistant and associate AD there.

I was also not surprised when he was recently named to the position; Warde is a terrific AD and any university would be lucky to have him.

While we are sorry to lose him at UConn, we also understand how much the position at Michigan means to him and we wish him all the best.

Warde is expected to begin at Michigan in March. Rachel Rubin, who began her career at UConn as an Associate Athletic Director and is currently Chief of Staff in my office, will serve as interim AD.

We will begin a national search for a permanent successor immediately. I have appointed a committee to lead this search. They will serve in a critically important advisory capacity as we move through the process and I ultimately appoint our next AD. The members of the committee are:
  • Andrew Bessette (’75), UConn Board of Trustees
  • Scott Brown, UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor of Educational Psychology, NCAA Faculty Athletics Representative
  • Andrea Dennis-LaVigne (’03), UConn Board of Trustees (Committee Chair)
  • Doug Elliot (’82), President of The Hartford
  • Thomas Ritter (Law ’77), UConn Board of Trustees
  • Rachel Rubin (’77), Chief of Staff to the President & Executive Secretary to the Board of Trustees
  • Nancy Stevens, Head Coach, UConn Field Hockey
I look forward to a thorough and efficient search process.

Please join me in thanking Warde for his outstanding service to UConn and in wishing him all the best.

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst "

Reaction Score
Is it just me or is Nancy Stevens an odd name to see on this list? Not trying to disrespect her credentials as a field hockey coach but it's not like that's a sport that matters in CR. Maybe there just needs to be a head coach of some sport on the committee?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it just me or is Nancy Stevens an odd name to see on this list? Not trying to disrespect her credentials as a field hockey coach but it's not like that's a sport that matters in CR. Maybe there just needs to be a head coach of some sport of the committee?
Likely that it's offseason for her and she's been at UConn for decades. Also has a hell of a coaching record. More or less the Geno of field hockey, with a fewer titles.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
"...and we have Warde's internet search history and will use to that to leverage future conversations."
You can only google "Krispy Kreme" so many time.
Is it just me or is Nancy Stevens an odd name to see on this list? Not trying to disrespect her credentials as a field hockey coach but it's not like that's a sport that matters in CR. Maybe there just needs to be a head coach of some sport on the committee?
She's a great selection. A nationally respected coach, one of the top in her profession. She knows what support is needed from the AD for sports such as FH.

Don't worry about a voice for conference realignment, facilities, FB or BB. You can be sure that those questions will be at the top of the list for the committee.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

...think about how many AD's she's worked for at UConn. Perspective is a good thing.

Reaction Score

Jim Penders was the coach on committee for the Warde hire.

Reaction Score
Jim Penders was the coach on committee for the Warde hire.
Imagine that, a couple long term coaches who are very familiar with the community, state, alumni, faculty, supporters, etc. as well as the athletic department's abundant strengths, successes, and P5 qualifications. It's challenging to comprehend why Nancy Stevens' involvement and representation on behalf of all coaches would not make sense.

Reaction Score
Imagine that, a couple long term coaches who are very familiar with the community, state, alumni, faculty, supporters, etc. as well as the athletic department's abundant strengths, successes, and P5 qualifications. It's challenging to comprehend why Nancy Stevens' involvement and representation on behalf of all coaches would not make sense.

Completely agree. I wasn't the one questioning it.

Reaction Score
"...and we have Warde's internet search history and will use to that to leverage future conversations."

I think you'll find he was on the "Boneyard" site more than any other. Hanging on all of our brilliant observations...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Stevens is a smart cookie - not surprised to see her there.

Jim Penders was on the search committee that hired Warde - Stevens is filling that "UConn lifer" role this time around.

Reaction Score
Classy move by Susan and keeping a strong bridge between Storrs and Ann Arbor can only lead to good things.

Anyone have a copy of the press release when Hathaway left? I hope that it consisted of two words - one rhyming with the word 'duck' and the other being you.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/081911aab.html

JEFF HATHAWAY RETIRES AS UCONN DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS
Has served as UConn Director of Athletics for eight years
spacer.gif

Separation Agreement And General Release
icon-acrosmall.gif

Aug. 19, 2011

STORRS, Conn. - Jeffrey Hathaway announced on Friday that he will retire as Director of Athletics at the University of Connecticut, effective immediately, and signed a separation agreement with the university. He will remain employed by UConn through September 15 to assist in the transition process.

"I have been proud to serve the University of Connecticut for nearly two decades, including the last eight years as Director of Athletics," said Hathaway. "It is an honor and privilege to have led this outstanding Division of Athletics and to have worked with so many remarkable student-athletes, coaches, staff members and colleagues at the University, the Big East Conference and NCAA. It has been incredibly rewarding to have collaborated with so many exceptional individuals during this proud period of academic and athletic excellence. After 20 years of being associated with UConn, I felt the time was right for me to pursue new challenges. I wish the very best to all those associated with UConn Athletics, and to this great University, now and long into the future."

"I want to thank Jeff for his long service to UConn and our Division of Athletics," said UConn President Susan Herbst. "The university has had unprecedented success on the field, on the court and in the classroom for more than a decade and he has a great deal to be proud of during his tenure. I join so many others at the university in thanking him for his service and in wishing him well."

Herbst also announced that Senior Associate Director of Athletics Paul McCarthy will assume the responsibilities of the director until an interim director is named.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
upload_2016-1-30_0-30-7.png

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/081911aab.html

JEFF HATHAWAY RETIRES AS UCONN DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS

"I want to thank Jeff for his long service to UConn and our Division of Athletics," said UConn President Susan Herbst. ...
You know when the first thing a guy retiring gets thanked for is "his long service" he didn't do much at best or, more likely, was a screw-up like Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom