Mephis-ole miss | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mephis-ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree but outside USF, none of those teams were in a BCS conference before they joined the American. In reality they took a small step up when they joined. However, the larger point you made is spot on. Our fan base needs to make the same commitment as well, as hard as that may be.
The Southwestern Conference and the Metro Conference were not exactly garbage conferences. Tulane should have never left the SEC.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Right, Memphis has all of it's bets on the Big 12. UConn has two plays IMO, the Big 10 and the ACC. I don't see any overlap.

I wouldn't rule the Big12 out for UConn, hell as a Husky I'd take whatever we can get.

One factor to keep in mind is that an expanding P5 conference is likely going to pull in 2 schools at a time to keep an even number of teams.

ACC- Historically the best fit for UConn, but going forward can they do better? To me, this is the new Big East; great hoops, mediocre football. UConn has history with most of these schools and it makes the most sense geographically. But who else would come with?
  • Cincy is the best pick but they may fit better in the B1G or Big12.
  • ECU doesn't bring enough to the table, in terms of other sports and acedemics. Temple probably wouldn't make the ACC's cut. I don't think Memphis fits the ACC either. If UCF or USF was better they might be attractive, but they're not.
If the B1G (my dream scenario), I see them taking UConn and Cincy. I could see the Big12 doing the same thing, but Memphis might fit their conference better than UConn. If Cincy&Memphis make it to P5 before UConn, I would be very disappointed.

Any other G5 schools that could possibly leapfrog UConn into B1G/Big12/ACC consideration? I can't really think of any.

Reaction Score
Houston coach Herman is also rumored to be a P5 candidate for any vacancy

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You don't think we're trying?

I think Diaco is a good coach, but you guys need to be patient with him. If I'm not mistaken, New England isn't a hotbed of high school football talent, so a turnaround won't come fast. I've been impressed with him, other than the corny trophy with UCF.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The Southwestern Conference and the Metro Conference were not exactly garbage conferences. Tulane should have never left the SEC.

If the Metro had added football they'd probably still be around today - FSU, USC, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, etc. would have made for a pretty good football conference.

Reaction Score
ACC- Historically the best fit for UConn, but going forward can they do better? To me, this is the new Big East; great hoops, mediocre football. UConn has history with most of these schools and it makes the most sense geographically. But who else would come with?
  • Cincy is the best pick but they may fit better in the B1G or Big12.
  • ECU doesn't bring enough to the table, in terms of other sports and acedemics.
  • Temple probably wouldn't make the ACC's cut.
  • I don't think Memphis fits the ACC either.
  • If UCF or USF was better they might be attractive, but they're not.
If the B1G (my dream scenario), I see them taking UConn and Cincy. I could see the Big12 doing the same thing, but Memphis might fit their conference better than UConn. If Cincy&Memphis make it to P5 before UConn, I would be very disappointed.

Any other G5 schools that could possibly leapfrog UConn into B1G/Big12/ACC consideration? I can't really think of any.

The B1G is not taking Cincinnati as they offer nothing that the B1G already has in Ohio St and the Buckeyes would block them at all costs.

The one thing that Temple does offer the ACC is geography. The ACC has a big hole in its map with Philadelphia, the country's 4th largest TV market, sitting right in the middle of it. Pitt's influence does not extend to Eastern PA and Syracuse's support is just in metro NYC (and in Bristol CT). By passing on Rutgers, which has some support in Philly, Villanova's decision to upgrade football in the late '90's and the lack of financial support that Delaware would need to make the jump, Temple is it if the ACC wants to fill in this gap. Of course, losing Maryalnd has not helped either.

Reaction Score
There's some thread here saying Diaco would bolt if he could. Hard to imagine since he's completely rebuilding the program, as Edsall did. I think he actually values the state and the school and eventually will be paid if he produces. UConn wants to be a football school. Not a stepping stone.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
There's some thread here saying Diaco would bolt if he could. Hard to imagine since he's completely rebuilding the program, as Edsall did. I think he actually values the state and the school and eventually will be paid if he produces. UConn wants to be a football school. Not a stepping stone.
It depends who comes calling. If it's a Big Ten school especially Iowa or one of the big names (Penn St, Michigan State if they have an opening in a yew years) nobody would turn that down. Illinois / Indiana / Rutgers not so much. I don't think Diaco will be looking to bolt - if Diaco is successful he'll be a candidate just because of his success, like Fuente is now. A problem you want to have.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could be wrong here but I think both Fuente and Herman are looking towards Austin as their destination job and each will be willing to wait another year or two for the longhorns to can Strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom