Memphis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not to mention the fact that with two scrimmages, you do need a certain number of teams you expect to beat while also working through whatever early growing pains that exist.

Given that, and how many players we have who own walking boots, I'm pretty happy to see Yale this Friday.

The OOC schedule is already ambitious.

And for what it's worth… Our OOC schedule isn't that good. Stanford got beat by 20 to Depaul…They aren't a tournament team. Florida just sucks so far.. 3-3 and went to OT to beat UL Monroe…. and FYI.. they play in a legit conference.. and have already played Georgetown, UNC, Miami, and playing at Kansas next. Look like a bubble team at this point. Duke looks like the only legit chance we have left of a top 25 win.

Reaction Score
relax; doesnt matter if current 1 rail sledteam version loses 15 games or schedules little college of ozarks, billys apprenticeship training school or mollys pole dancing college

fact is huskies have 1 chance only for advancement: win aac tourney in insurance capital of world or go home or use NIT for player development tool

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn can not play any sub-200 teams non-conference anymore. We get those kind of games within our league. At the very least, we need to be scheduling A10 teams non-conference instead of Bryant, Coppin State, Columbia and Central Connecticut.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yeah, this type of team is a team that JC would have loaded up on the early season cupcakes to get them playing together and with confidence before hitting the grueling big east schedule.
When we had veteran teams that's when we saw the early season OOC marquee matchups. We used to complain about lacking the tough matchups in December sometimes, but you couldn't argue with the formula. It usually had peaking for March.

This team could have sorely used a diet of 6 cupcakes in a row to open season, but we simply can't do it with our hell hole of a conference now.

Also I hate to say it , I agree with Chap, even when we get in conference the way this team is, it is not automatic blowout wins. We will see some close games against inferior competition and I'm sure at least one WTF loss to a conference bottom feeder.

Doomed!

But who knows, KO is the man, we will see.

Reaction Score
The men's basketball schedule has to balance two very important things - strength of schedule and home ticket revenue. It's almost impossible to fill out a home schedule every year without including a few teams that won't require a return game.

The notion that this year's OOC schedule was poorly planned is absurd. We scheduled 3 of the top 10 teams in the preseason polls, plus a road game at a borderline top-25 team, plus the Puerto Rico tournament. When you factor in that road and neutral court games get you bonus points in the RPI, I'd be surprised if our OOC schedule doesn't end up in the top-10 in the country.

If the conference really is going to be this bad going forward, then I agree we need to kick it up even another notch. But even the biggest AAC skeptic in the world couldn't have predicted what's gone on so far this year. When they put this schedule together and agreed to play CCSU and Coppin State, they were thinking that SMU would be a top-15 team and at least 2 other AAC programs would be tournament worthy. Hindsight is 20/20.

And can we please stop acting as if winning on the road in Florida wouldn't be a feather in our cap on Selection Sunday?

Reaction Score
We have a top 10 if not top 5 OOC this year. Some of you need to relax

Reaction Score
You mean Lawson family. Mom took a job as the graduate assistant too!:oops:

Escalators!!!!

It is a commonly believed opinion that Pastner sucks as a coach. His team is in a crappy conference. He has won NOTHING! He doesn't do a great job putting players in the league. The school sucks academically. The location isn't southern CA or South Beach. He doesn't have cool friends in the NBA. He isn't young and exciting anymore. Yet, he still seems to outrecruit Ollie.

Reaction Score
Escalators!!!!

It is a commonly believed opinion that Pastner sucks as a coach. His team is in a crappy conference. He has won NOTHING! He doesn't do a great job putting players in the league. The school sucks academically. The location isn't southern CA or South Beach. He doesn't have cool friends in the NBA. He isn't young and exciting anymore. Yet, he still seems to outrecruit Ollie.

I guess it depends on what "out recruits" Ollie means huh? I mean hiring kids dad's to coach isn't exactly out recruiting anyone and taking kids in with questionable academic skills is also far from out recruiting. Never mind the fact that if you win National Championships with the kids you recruit no matter where their ranking is, who is recruiting better for their requirements to be successful?

If you feel out recruiting is a victory congrats to you but in this part of the world championships chase our team up the escalator thank you!;).......and we're good with that result

Reaction Score
Conference sucks, nothing new.

I think it can be 4 bid league, but most likely 3. Us, Cincy, SMU (Kennedy will be back) and Tulsa have shots at dancing.

Reaction Score
Conference sucks, nothing new.

I think it can be 4 bid league, but most likely 3. Us, Cincy, SMU (Kennedy will be back) and Tulsa have shots at dancing.

Here's the problem. Given that Tulsa is 4-3 with a loss to Oral Roberts, the only way they're sniffing the tournament is if they win multiple games against the likes of Uconn, SMU, and Cincy in conference play. And what do you think that does to Uconn, SMU, and Cincy?

The other problem is that even though Memphis and Temple are way down and almost certainly not making the tournament, those teams aren't just going to lay down and go 0-8 against Uconn/SMU/Cincy/Tulsa. Those are the worst possible conference mates to have - not good enough to be considered quality wins, but just good enough to beat you if you happen to shoot 30% on the road.

Reaction Score
Here's the problem. Given that Tulsa is 4-3 with a loss to Oral Roberts, the only way they're sniffing the tournament is if they win multiple games against the likes of Uconn, SMU, and Cincy in conference play. And what do you think that does to Uconn, SMU, and Cincy?

The other problem is that even though Memphis and Temple are way down and almost certainly not making the tournament, those teams aren't just going to lay down and go 0-8 against Uconn/SMU/Cincy/Tulsa. Those are the worst possible conference mates to have - not good enough to be considered quality wins, but just good enough to beat you if you happen to shoot 30% on the road.
Tulsa has beat Creighton and Auburn, and has Oklahoma on deck. They can certainly develop a tournament worthy resume.

Reaction Score
The men's basketball schedule has to balance two very important things - strength of schedule and home ticket revenue. It's almost impossible to fill out a home schedule every year without including a few teams that won't require a return game.

The notion that this year's OOC schedule was poorly planned is absurd. We scheduled 3 of the top 10 teams in the preseason polls, plus a road game at a borderline top-25 team, plus the Puerto Rico tournament. When you factor in that road and neutral court games get you bonus points in the RPI, I'd be surprised if our OOC schedule doesn't end up in the top-10 in the country.

If the conference really is going to be this bad going forward, then I agree we need to kick it up even another notch. But even the biggest AAC skeptic in the world couldn't have predicted what's gone on so far this year. When they put this schedule together and agreed to play CCSU and Coppin State, they were thinking that SMU would be a top-15 team and at least 2 other AAC programs would be tournament worthy. Hindsight is 20/20.

And can we please stop acting as if winning on the road in Florida wouldn't be a feather in our cap on Selection Sunday?

Well it is that bad and possible worse. That's why i was saying we need to schedule MUCH better than we did this year going forward. We simply cannot count on this joke of a conference. Games against CCSU and Columbia need to be replaced with the Kansas and Michigan St's of the world going forward.. This truly is going to be a 1-2 bid league.

Reaction Score
Well it is that bad and possible worse. That's why i was saying we need to schedule MUCH better than we did this year going forward. We simply cannot count on this joke of a conference. Games against CCSU and Columbia need to be replaced with the Kansas and Michigan St's of the world going forward.. This truly is going to be a 1-2 bid league.

That's ridiculous to ask for. Florida, Duke, Texas and Stanford as well as a tourney who would have WVU/New Mexico/Dayton on your schedule depending on how it works out is all you can ask for. You start replacing all of your lower Div 1 teams and in state teams and it's a mistake. Asking more than what they have this year is whacked I don't care what league you're in.

Reaction Score
That's ridiculous to ask for. Florida, Duke, Texas and Stanford as well as a tourney who would have WVU/New Mexico/Dayton on your schedule depending on how it works out is all you can ask for. You start replacing all of your lower Div 1 teams and in state teams and it's a mistake. Asking more than what they have this year is whacked I don't care what league you're in.

Dude last year we played 11 games against tournament teams during the regular season.. were lucky if we play 6-8 this year. Just don't know where you get your logic from. The schedule this year is a joke compared to even last years joke of a schedule…. Meanwhile… just to put into perspective… we played 21 games against tournament teams in 2010-2011…. So yeah… to say we need to upgrade the schedule is an UNDERSTATEMENT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dude last year we played 11 games against tournament teams during the regular season.. were lucky if we play 6-8 this year. Just don't know where you get your logic from. The schedule this year is a joke compared to even last years joke of a schedule…. Meanwhile… just to put into perspective… we played 17 games against tournament teams in 2010-2011.

Dude, I obviously get my logic from someone other than you dude. Yeah let's play Florida, Texas, Stanford, Duke, Michigan State, Villanova, North Carolina, UCLA, Arkansas and 2 or 3 teams in the PR Classic or the Maui every year and then play in the league. You can't go by the league completely and you can't ask the kids to play that schedule it's ridiculous. Imagine your thought process coming into this little swing with guys 80% healthy? Brilliant........but hey you're on top of it dude!

Reaction Score
It's pointless to even argue. 21 games in 2011 against tournament teams… 6-8 this year if were lucky. End of discussion.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Husky999 said:
It's pointless to even argue. 21 games in 2011 against tournament teams… 6-8 this year if were lucky. End of discussion.

It's going to be a top ten OOC schedule when the season is done. Shut up.

Reaction Score
It's going to be a top ten OOC schedule when the season is done. Shut up.

Where and how? I see 2 guaranteed OOC tournament teams at this point. You shut up moron.

Reaction Score
Where and how? I see 2 guaranteed OOC tournament teams at this point. You shut up moron.
There are at least 5. If you think you are so smart,which you are not, lets put some money on this?

We can put some $$ in a neutral Paypal account. I say there are 4 or more OOC NCAA tournament teams on the schedule?

Or can you only call people morons and not put your money where your mouth is?

Reaction Score
There are at least 5. If you think you are so smart,which you are not, lets put some money on this?

We can put some $$ in a neutral Paypal account. I say there are 4 or more OOC NCAA tournament teams on the schedule?

Which is it "at least 5" or "4" I think you should decided what it is your actually betting on before you go spouting your mouth off.

Reaction Score

And yes.. I'll bet you whatever you want that we don't play 5 OOC tournament teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom