2025 Recruiting: - Meleek Thomas wants to visit UConn | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas wants to visit UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He pretty much said this back in October also but I figured I'd post the new article. The other thread from October is locked.

However, the 6-foot-3, 175-pound junior out of Lincoln Park (PA) is no where close being done with college trips. He tells On3 he’s looking to schedule possibly seven more official visits before coming to a decision. Those schools that the Five-Star Plus+ recruit would like to see are as follows — Pittsburgh, Tennessee, UConn, Michigan, Kansas, Kansas State, and Duke.

Reaction Score
you wouldnt know we just won the natty based on our '24 commits but we can more than make up for it in '25 and beyond

Reaction Score
I think the strength and quantity of our '23 recruits was possibly seen as a obstacle by some '24 recruits. It was nothing lacking from the staff that I can think of.
I think Hurley has a bigger plan for 2024. And that probably includes some experienced transfers. We're going to lose a lot and having 2 large freshmen classes back to back isn't a great idea if you want to win next year. At least that's my theory.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley has a bigger plan for 2024. And that probably includes some experienced transfers. We're going to lose a lot and having 2 large freshmen classes back to back isn't a great idea if you want to win next year. At least that's my theory.
This is what I’ve been thinking for a while as well. Going to be hitting the portal hard

Reaction Score
Good point.

Reaction Score
Good theory. In a post-Cooper Flagg article, Hurley talked about using the portal instead of taking a non-impact freshman.

“There may be incredible value in the 52nd-ranked player in the country. To you, he may be a guy who's a two-year player and you love his ability, and maybe in another class, the players in that range, you may not like and say I'm going to shoot higher, and if I don't win there, I'm going in the portal, because I don't think that these high school players can help us."

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Go get him!
Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

Reaction Score
He definitely would have taken Flagg, Betsey and Ngongba if they wanted to come here. The thing with relying on the portal is you have no idea who’s gonna be there and what your chances are on them.

Reaction Score
He definitely would have taken Flagg, Betsey and Ngongba if they wanted to come here. The thing with relying on the portal is you have no idea who’s gonna be there and what your chances are on them.
The last sentence is completely false. Most portal entries have predetermined destinations when they enter the portal

Reaction Score
They had lost interest in Betsey. He was a recruit that peaked early but the coaching staff's attention had shifted elsewhere. If they had wanted Betsey, he'd have been a Husky, as evidenced by him ending up at Cincinnati (FYI, Cinci is 16-10 and 5 and 8 in the Big 12). He waited too long to sign and the window closed.

Reaction Score
The last sentence is completely false. Most portal entries have predetermined destinations when they enter the portal
So you think Hurley knows who’s he’s getting next year already? Or during last years high school cycle?

Reaction Score
This coaching staff knows what they are doing.. they have proven it over and over.. if they didn’t go hard after a recruit it’s probably for a good reason

Reaction Score
So you think Hurley knows who’s he’s getting next year already? Or during last years high school cycle?

How many high school players outside this years' top 30 have the ability to be key contributors in 2024-2025?

How many players (out of the 1800) in the portal have the ability to be role players for UConn next year? It is a much larger pool and UConn is high enough on the prestige/money/opportunity list to not worry that someone will be there (i.e., when you miss on Timberlake, there is a Spencer still available).

Hurley didn't see guys that could be important enough down the road to pass on making next year's team better (hence his quote above).

Reaction Score
They had lost interest in Betsey. He was a recruit that peaked early but the coaching staff's attention had shifted elsewhere. If they had wanted Betsey, he'd have been a Husky, as evidenced by him ending up at Cincinnati (FYI, Cinci is 16-10 and 5 and 8 in the Big 12). He waited too long to sign and the window closed.

I think you have this backwards but it’s a cool story I guess.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

It’s not rocket science. How many freshmen in the country can give you what Cam is giving us and what Tristen’s been giving us? You can count them on two hands max, probably one.

People were wringing their hands when Gaffney and Floyd left. We survived.

Can’t deny it was a bummer losing 2 targets to Duke but our staff knows what it’s doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom