Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What top talent transfer is going to take a chance on coming to UConn and risk sitting on the bench for much of the season? Evelyn and Z did not play as much as the players you mentioned who transferred to other teams. Some players should not have to go through some of the things they go through to play at UConn when they would not have to do so on another top team. UConn's system is too tough for many to learn in a single season.
On this point, UConn really needs a great season from Evina next year. Not only for the obvious reasons, but in this changing WCBB landscape Geno needs to show that a transfer can have success on his team.

The times they are a'changin'

Reaction Score
I was told by a men’s player (not UConn) that we helped when he lived here who is now at a mid major that she was 100% going pro BEFORE the season. I was like she’s a solid player that’s hard to figure and he was like it’s def going to happen, her mind is made up. He grew up with Alterique and her in Va. I didn’t know Alterique was from Va. until the kid told me. Met Alterique after a game and we talked about all 3 of them.

this is 100% credible info. They talk all the time. I don’t post ever on women’s board but been on men’s board for 20 years.

she was very good, but this is not a death knell. Westbrook is better than people know.

g: bueckers muhl
2g: williams
3 westbrook

I’d take that over anyone. doesn’t even touch on point forward Ania!

Not to question 100% credible info, but isn’t Alterique from Georgia?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Needs to, maybe not. But the previous three champions all won with huge help from transfers. ND doesn't win without Shepard, Baylor doesn't without Jackson, and South Carolina--fortunate draw and all--doesn't without Gray.

There appears to be a larger learning curve to adjust to Geno's system than at most other programs. Players rarely hit the ground running playing in their first year for the Huskies, whether they're new recruits or transfers. The only transfer who has had success is Stevens and she didn't fully assimilate at Connecticut like most anticipated.

Reaction Score
Wow! Very disappointed in her decision. I hope the women's game doesn't start turning into "one and done" turnstile of the men's game. Next year just got a little more challenging.

Reaction Score
One thing I know about Meg is she is a hard worker. She will work on her deficiencies so that she will become an all-round productive WNBA player. This will happen if she gets the right team/coach to draft her.
IMO she will be a 6-10 draft pick, first round. Ahead of her are the three women from OR, Cox from Baylor, Ty Harris at SC.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think what we got was at times pretty good, complementary and underappreciated. What she wasn't was the occasionally fire starter & vocal leader that was capable of dragging the team across that mythical finish line especially when times got tough. BTW that latter job description/player remain vacant and is mandatory for the team to return to prominence.

some think that the freshman point guard from Minnesota will be very much that kind of player...........

Reaction Score
Born in Va moved in grade 7 think he played say in N C not sure if he knew walker in Va

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
True, just was thinking things might've changed given Geno's comments yesterday...

If that’s true, then it would appear that Geno was blindsided by this news. To quote Shirley Temple when she was a cute little moppet: “Oh my goodness.” :eek: This adds more speculation to the debate of who starts next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno is very supportive to Megan]s decision. That is important,

UConn coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement. "When you have an opportunity to reach a certain goal that you set for yourself, I think it's important that you have an opportunity to take it.

"Meg's decided this is the right time for her to take advantage of this opportunity. Obviously, she had an incredible season this year and is incredibly talented. We support her 100 percent, and we're going to support her going forward. We wish her the best of luck as she begins her pro career."

whether he really means that or not in this case I'm not so sure he had a choice but to be supportive publicly.............that's what the vast number of coaches do in that situation otherwise they risk alienating other potential recruits who might consider the same action..........

Reaction Score
I agree. I think what we got was at times pretty good, complementary and underappreciated. What she wasn't was the occasionally fire starter & vocal leader that was capable of dragging the team across that mythical finish line especially when times got tough. BTW that latter job description/player remain vacant and is mandatory for the team to return to prominence.
Nailed it Coco! I so agree with you.

Reaction Score
question for our recruiting addicts.............would Geno have recruited any differently had he known Walker was leaving after this season? Who would he have concentrated on?

Reaction Score
whether he really means that or not in this case I'm not so sure he had a choice but to be supportive publicly.............that's what the vast number of coaches do in that situation otherwise they risk alienating other potential recruits who might consider the same action..........
Did Muffet say same words to Jackie Young last year?

Reaction Score
question for our recruiting addicts.............would Geno have recruited any differently had he known Walker was leaving after this season? Who would he have concentrated on?
No a recruiting expert, but I think he roughly added a player at every position. I don’t think there is a better player in 2020 than Edwards to fill in an opening at the 3/4.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What top talent transfer is going to take a chance on coming to UConn and risk sitting on the bench for much of the season? Evelyn and Z did not play as much as the players you mentioned who transferred to other teams. Some players should not have to go through some of the things they go through to play at UConn when they would not have to do so on another top team. UConn's system is too tough for many to learn in a single season.

Well, Evina transferred there.

Evelyn didn't play after it became apparent that, for whatever reason, she wasn't capable of playing at a UConn level.

Stevens was stuck in a numbers situation with an incredible team and still got 20+ minutes. That number was sure to go up had she returned.

Geno probably isn't looking for transfers simply for depth but, if he is, that wouldn't be the worst thing. Maybe that's all he does considering the issues you mention. But if a legit starter type player wants to come, he has to look at it, I'd think.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There appears to be a larger learning curve to adjust to Geno's system than at most other programs. Players rarely hit the ground running playing in their first year for the Huskies, whether they're new recruits or transfers. The only transfer who has had success is Stevens and she didn't fully assimilate at Connecticut like most anticipated.

Stevens was awfully darn good all things considered. The question is what could she have been with another year.

I'm not sure there will be any transfer additions unless someone really good comes knocking.

Reaction Score
Exactly that was what I thought too as i figured he was Georgia kid from seeing hat one game in HS Espn aired. But he grew up playing AAU with this kid in Virginia. They all ran in same circles. Was plan all along. We will be fine. Best of luck to Megan!

Reaction Score
unlikely Westbrook would go pro after missing the entire season...............I would assume she would like to reestablish her career but stranger things have happened
I just would not be surprised

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Yes.

Reaction Score
We will still win the National Championship in 2021! No other team in the country will be better than us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Needs to, maybe not. But the previous three champions all won with huge help from transfers. ND doesn't win without Shepard, Baylor doesn't without Jackson, and South Carolina--fortunate draw and all--doesn't without Gray.
I absolutely agree. So what was the last team to win without the assistance of a key transfer....let me see now......who could it have been..,,,,I think they actually won 4 in a row if I recall..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom