Meg Walker: How Do You Read This? | The Boneyard

Meg Walker: How Do You Read This?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Walker said she knew she was coming to UConn after making an official visit and meeting the players. Everyone played well and hard and could play multiple positions, she said.

"UConn recruits a different type of player. Everyone's mindset is focused toward the same thing," she said. "It definitely felt like I was looking in the mirror and it made me feel even more like I belong there."

UConn star recruit watching March run, waiting for her turn

I held off for a day on this convinced someone else would say: Say what? It reads like she knew when she made her official visit with the rest of her class hanging out. Remember that? But it was what 5 months later when she busted those balloons.

Let's say it is true, She knew in the Spring. What was the next 5 months about?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"Walker said she knew she was coming to UConn after making an official visit and meeting the players. Everyone played well and hard and could play multiple positions, she said.

"UConn recruits a different type of player. Everyone's mindset is focused toward the same thing," she said. "It definitely felt like I was looking in the mirror and it made me feel even more like I belong there."

I held off for a day on this convinced someone else would say: Say what? It reads like she knew when she made her official visit with the rest of her class hanging out. Remember that? But it was what 5 months later when she busted those balloons.

She already knew she had a few of the NPOY trophies pretty well locked up for her senior season, but she was going for a much more important record - longest pre-commitment boneyard thread!!! :cool:

I did notice that when I read it, and then I thought, she is saying that with 20/20 hindsight. While see was still deciding, I am sure she was in effect testing that impression and making sure it held up.

Reaction Score

It's about not making a decision until you have to ---just to make sure you made the right one--possibly a great mom and dad said--take your time--no hurry!! She's our kid now! All the negatives that went with the waiting period are gone--and we all love Megan Walker-A UCONN RECRUIT.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meg's USA Basketball profile says she wants to be an Olympian. Going to UConn will facilitate that.

The rumors about Meg were that she was a UConn lean for a long time, but she wanted to do her homework and sleep on it for an extended period. Geno likes kids to commit early, but he also like them to be certain.

What Meg saw was versatile players, which is what she is. I'm not sure how many positions she can play, but it's at least 2 and maybe more. Once she gets into the UConn system, she will be amazingly good. She may be the new Tamika Catchings.

Reaction Score

Free option. Under no obligation to buy UConn and could change her mind any time penalty free. If anything one should be assured she considered all angles, so good for her.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
That little blue Husky bear she's holding in the photo is the exact same one we have. It was a gift for my son when he was a youngster, but we still have it. UCONN stuff is never discarded in our house. The bear is wearing a No. 34 UCONN BB jersey, which was Ray Allen's number. That's how long they've been making those.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ah, that spring trip was on her own dime then.
Yes that spring visit was on her dime. However she took official visits to ND and TX? after her official visit to UCONN.

Reaction Score

Rocky, Like so many others I twisted and turned with anticipation during the whole "Is she coming or not?" period (checking in several times a day on the record thread that she inspired), but for as anxious a time for us UCONN fans as that was I'm happy now that she took her time and vetted her options.

When she announced I immediately felt that she was a Husky. She had been lured and promised to but still chose us. An early commit saves the coaching staff months of concern (not to mention what Boneyarders go through) but a commitment that results after many months (if not years) of careful consideration is a strong one.

However it happened, and whatever family, academic, social, emotional, professional and loyalty factors were considered before her Letter of Intent was signed we will be the beneficiaries of four years of another great talent donning the UCONN Blue and creating her own legacy.

She won't be another Maya, or a combination of other great talents we have had. Like Stewie, and D and this year's big three she will be uniquely herself and like Geno I can't wait to see her in our uniform.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Texas was a scare... they spent a lot of time and money on her!
And they have Tina Thompson as an assistant. Plus Niele Ivey is a great recruiter for ND.

Meg may have wavered and been close to choosing Texas or ND, but she chose UConn. Now that Ringling Brothers is shutting down, she'll be part of the only circus in town.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rocky, Like so many others I twisted and turned with anticipation during the whole "Is she coming or not?" period (checking in several times a day on the record thread that she inspired), but for as anxious a time for us UCONN fans as that was I'm happy now that she took her time and vetted her options.

When she announced I immediately felt that she was a Husky. She had been lured and promised to but still chose us. An early commit saves the coaching staff months of concern (not to mention what Boneyarders go through) but a commitment that results after many months (if not years) of careful consideration is a strong one.

However it happened, and whatever family, academic, social, emotional, professional and loyalty factors were considered before her Letter of Intent was signed we will be the beneficiaries of four years of another great talent donning the UCONN Blue and creating her own legacy.

She won't be another Maya, or a combination of other great talents we have had. Like Stewie, and D and this year's big three she will be uniquely herself and like Geno I can't wait to see her in our uniform.
I agree that Meg will be unique and no one will ever be Maya, but in terms of size and breadth of skills, Meg is pretty similar to the great Miss Maya.

Reaction Score
And they have Tina Thompson as an assistant. Plus Niele Ivey is a great recruiter for ND.

Meg may have wavered and been close to choosing Texas or ND, but she chose UConn. Now that Ringling Brothers is shutting down, she'll be part of the only circus in town.
I think this is what sold UConn for her. The whole Geno quote about playing on the biggest stage. Basically our media coverage is what sold her at the end of the day. Not practice facilities or coaches or touchdown jesuses, but the brightness of the lights under which she will play.

Reaction Score
Every student athlete goes through the gauntlet and their own pace. Plus, they need to see all their options.........Not many kids get to do what she did and still walk away with the best prize........Geno has big plans for her this year and now she will be on the trip to Italy and an extra month of pre-season practice and games........Welcome Megan Walker........

Reaction Score
"

The only thing I could think of is that she/her parents just wanted to make sure that's where she wanted to go and maybe not have any second thoughts.

I always would want a recruit that is absolutely sure about their decision rather than committing because of the "high" of their most recent visit.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think this is what sold UConn for her. The whole Geno quote about playing on the biggest stage. Basically our media coverage is what sold her at the end of the day. Not practice facilities or coaches or touchdown jesuses, but the brightness of the lights under which she will play.
She loves basketball, but she's also marketing the MKW brand.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score

IMHO you're overthinking this one. I take from the quote that she knew in her heart (retrospectively) where she belonged. I would assume that she and her parents had a process in place regarding her ultimate decision and they allowed it to play out. That would be prudent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom