Media Bashing | The Boneyard

Media Bashing

Reaction Score
It's totally out of control today, social media trolls, sports writers, network announcers with the whining and complaining of the "no foul" call. Didn't see or hear the same peanut gallery when TAMU won their first two tournament games by questionable officiating. Just because everyone wants to take down the Huskies, the bandwagon is overflowing. LaBron James, of all people, who gets more calls or no calls going his way, has the audacity to pipe in his two worthless cents. Debbie Antonelli was another one spewing nonsense during the Indiana/Arizona game! Baylor, their coach, and most of their team, displayed a level of poor sportsmanship which hurts the game! It's part of the game folks, get over it!

Reaction Score
And besides, I personally dread the arrival of the day when most folks are indifferent to a UConn win or loss...a day, alas, that will, eventually, inevitably come. I don’t get all the hand-wringing on our forum about which folks “hate” UConn, especially when it comes to the announcers. C’mon, my friends, isn’t that just as we wish it to be? That’s why the ending of the game in some measure of overblown controversy is so terrific! More fodder for the haters to hate, hatred in which they are more than welcome to wallow while our favorite team head off to another Final Four. Enjoy this!

Reaction Score
Lebron's tweet was borderline classless, imo. I mean, the guy has a reputation for getting bailed out by refs his whole career. But, it verged on disrespectful to Geno & the way UConn played. If you tweet the bad call, at least give some props to UConn for playing well.

Reaction Score
It's pathetic that most of the "experts" who are screaming about the non- call never watched one second of the game. They were busy watching the Men's game. If they didn't see the physicality & the "let them play" style of officiating, then they can't express an educated opinion about one play. The "UCONN gets all the calls" argument was dispelled throughout this game. But that didn't stop ref bashing & UCONN hatred.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This happens at all levels of basketball at least once every few years - some team benefits or loses because of a ref's call/non-call in the waning seconds of a game and everybody talks about it for a week as the worst travesty in recorded time. And then they go back to their regularly scheduled programming. And of all those screaming, maybe one in a hundred actually watched the game, the rest see a five second clip and have no idea what happened during the rest of the game.

BigP has the right of it. No one really cared that TA&M was gifted a first round win, that if they lost would have been the FIRST 15 seed beating a 2 seed in the history of the tournament. History stopped because of three very controversial calls all going against Troy in the last minute. And ...... silence. Because no one really cared about Troy, or TA&M.

Because it is Uconn it is a big deal. (And that probably annoys Kim even more because it could have been any opponent, not specifically Baylor, they are just a random 'not Uconn' team.)

So revel in Uconn being bad for WCBB.
This century:
NC 11-0
Semi 11-7
E8 18-2
S16 20-1

Reaction Score
Lebron's tweet was borderline classless, imo. I mean, the guy has a reputation for getting bailed out by refs his whole career. But, it verged on disrespectful to Geno & the way UConn played. If you tweet the bad call, at least give some props to UConn for playing well.
I call LeBron, LeOpportunist. He does EVERYTHING for attention. He knew exactly what that tweet would do.....and did it on purpose. He's by far the pro athlete I like the least.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
And besides, I personally dread the arrival of the day when most folks are indifferent to a UConn win or loss...a day, alas, that will, eventually, inevitably come. I don’t get all the hand-wringing on our forum about which folks “hate” UConn, especially when it comes to the announcers. C’mon, my friends, isn’t that just as we wish it to be? That’s why the ending of the game in some measure of overblown controversy is so terrific! More fodder for the haters to hate, hatred in which they are more than welcome to wallow while our favorite team head off to another Final Four. Enjoy this!
It is frustrating, people just want Uconn to lose, and it appears NCAA, and ESPN want anybody but Uconn. But, I like your thoughts, and lets enjoy Uconn and to hell with the Haters.

Reaction Score
I thought Geno's presser last night was brilliant and courageous on all fronts, especially the part about did people also go back and review all the no-calls on UConn earlier in the game when Baylor had taken something like eleven free throws to UConn's two. But did ESPN include that quote for much needed context on SportsCenter after playing what Kim had said on the matter? Of course not, instead they went with an irrelevant clip from Geno about how hard it was to win this game. Ugh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On First Take Steven A and Max K talked about how Baylor was robbed with the no call but eventually said its part of the game. It was awesome to see Molly Qerim wearing her UConn tee-shirt and she argued with both guys and would not give in about admitting to the no call. She stood proud! She made me a fan!

Reaction Score
I love it I absolutely love it. Believe me people do care about the outcome of UConns games. You never put the game in the hands of the officiating. I didn’t see anyone complain about the Saniya Chong charge against Mississippi St and this was a play on. Lebron please MJ>Lebron, don’t argue with me.

Reaction Score
In 2 weeks no one will remember the game or the call.

Just like the calls and no calls Virginia got in 2019 on their way to the National Championship. Just a distant memory.

Reaction Score
I thought Geno's presser last night was brilliant and courageous on all fronts, especially the part about did people also go back and review all the no-calls on UConn earlier in the game when Baylor had taken something like eleven free throws to UConn's two. But did ESPN include that quote for much needed context on SportsCenter after playing what Kim had said on the matter? Of course not, instead they went with an irrelevant clip from Geno about how hard it was to win this game. Ugh.
THIS!!! I admittedly have not watched many of the lady's games, but watched this one. I have never seen a basketball game without at least 15 to 20 missed or non calls. You want to pick just one? Setting the bar pretty low-Ms. Mulkey, the 19 to 0 run cost your team the game, not one call.

Reaction Score
This will follow UConn until Paige graduates unfortunately. Especially if they win the championship this year. It will be replayed at every Sweet 16, Elite 8, and Final Four for the next three years, with “they were lucky” sentiments

Reaction Score
The narrative in the media is all controlled - including sports. A situation that creates ‘ the angst of unfairness’ is pushed forth at every opportunity. This stuff IS purposeful. Never waste a good crisis - or opportunity to divide, anger or upset the human condition - in any way shape or form. UCONN women will be a big target over the next few years as we reassert ourselves over wcbb. The reloading job Geno and staff have done is amazing. This talent along with the three huge talents coming in... should scare any other wannabe school. I fully expect other situations (similar) to this to occur before this is all over. SC,TAMU, etc... Ut us truly sad that the human condition is this way. There was a lot of ‘physical’ play in that game that went overlooked. Why? Now... what appears to be ‘vertical defense’ is screamed about. Had it occurred to us - I would not have liked the loss - but it was legit D. Lebrun James needs to stay in his own lane - it doesn’t concern him. Nobody cares what he or others think. As someone said - he is trying to be relevant in the sport - with his mouth.

Reaction Score
UConn got mauled all game .....

I don't know how many times it has been said ..... Refs are not going to call a close foul that will decide a game.

Mulkey should be asking her players what they were doing during UConn's 19 - 0 run. That is where they lost the game.

Carrington forced a shot into overwhelming odds and now she wants the officials to bail her out. Carrington took a bad/low percentage shot with the game on the line. You lose.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Yeah, there's a lot of hubbub about this today – from across media and social outlets.
Seasoned women's basketball fans and casual observers alike are enjoying their attempts to take the wind out of UConn's sails.
If I weren't a UConn fan, I'd be all over it too.
UConn's dominance is frustrating for others and easy to hate.
But it stings the seasoned fans who love to hate UConn the most.
Because they know this is the best chance they have of taking the Huskies down for the next four years.
I love feeling good about being bad for basketball.

Reaction Score
Well, just to follow up on my previous comments, I just did something I’ve never done previously. Anticipating what I’d find, I searched for, and found, a fan forum for Notre Dame WBB. I don’t visit, or generally don’t visit, other team’s forums, but I just knew that the non-call at the end of last night’s game would make ND fans crazy, even more than is customary, which is a lot! I was not disappointed. They are in meltdown mode, which makes the ending of our game even more satisfying. Revel in this for what it is, my friends! Let’s hope our players continue to fan the flames of UConn hatred!

Reaction Score
For 1-2 hours last night 4 of the 7 top trending topics in the US on Twitter had to do with an Elite Eight women's college basketball game.
20210330_115133.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom