MD Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

MD Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Maryland game:
  • I was thinking of an old movie that I love: THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN!!!!!
  • With a badly depleted lineup, this was going to be a nearly impossible task for the Huskies today against the 20th ranked Terps. Without Paige, Ice, Dorka, Azzi & Nika, UConn had no justifiable right hanging with MD.
  • But somehow, incredibly, this UConn team did hang around for the entire game despite too many turnovers, Lou getting into foul trouble and MD heating up from the arc.
  • UConn outplayed MD in the paint, dominating the boards 46-23 and getting much of their scoring inside. The killer A’s; Aaliyah, Aubrey and Ayanna all showed up today and they kept the Huskies in the game.
  • Ines looked great in the first qtr, making several nice plays and showing remarkable poise. In the 2nd qtr, the going got a little rougher as she committed some turnovers. I would like to see Ines shoot the ball when the defense backs off. I think that confidence will come in time.
  • After a shaky start, Caroline picked up her play and made an impact. She needs to cut down on turnovers. But otherwise we're starting to see glimpses of the player that carried this team for much of last season.
  • I am incredibly proud of how hard UConn competed today! I know it’s so very difficult when so many Huskies are out with injuries. Be patient everyone. The time will come when the walking wounded will be back and no one will look forward to playing this UConn team.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Let’s set aside the injuries for a second. They actually fought really hard and had chances to win.

Ines could not make the initial pass to get into the offense. Maryland overplayed the wings ands the other four didn’t move much. Plus, they didn’t respect her ability to shoot.

The rules committee has to do something about the flop. It is impossible to call and makes it really hard for post players to move.

40 minutes from Caroline was certainly a positive note on her health.

Aaliyah of course was a monster.

Geno’s teams never quit. Even with the turnovers and fouls, they were in the game until the very end.

May Geno’s mom rest in peace.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m not one to complain about the refs but there were some…interesting calls. I especially liked the one where Ayanna was called for fouling Amari. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
IMHO, it would have to be a perfect game for a W, and lots of missed shots and TOs from MD, however I'll take the results. The team worked hard, mostly stayed out of foul trouble, and showed a lot of grit. The big big big lineup was fun to watch.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I’m not one to complain about the refs but there were some…interesting calls. I especially liked the one where Ayanna was called for fouling Aaliyah. :rolleyes:
+10000000000000000

Surprised they didn't review the foul on Ines when her arms were locked with MD player and she ended up getting an elbow to the face.

Reaction Score
AE may have just put herself in AA consideration. To win, we would have needed more offense from more than just AE. Hard to offset the 3 point barrage in Q2 (give MD credit) with our offensively-challenged lineup.

Reaction Score
Tough loss but I cannot give the players enough credit for playing their hearts' out and keeping the game within reach the whole time. A loss is a loss but this is an experience that will pay dividends for everyone. Strength of character.

I wanted to believe UConn could win and it still sucks they didn't, but it is what it is. AE was played great. CD is looking better, which has me tentatively optimistic.

Still need to cut down on TOs.

Time now to get a bit of rest and recuperation and move forward.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Maryland game:
  • I was thinking of an old movie that I love: THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN!!!!!
  • With a badly depleted lineup, this was going to be a nearly impossible task for the Huskies today against the 20th ranked Terps. Without Paige, Ice, Dorka, Azzi & Nika, UConn had no justifiable right hanging with MD.
  • But somehow, incredibly, this UConn team did hang around for the entire game despite too many turnovers, Lou getting into foul trouble and MD heating up from the arc.
  • UConn outplayed MD in the paint, dominating the boards 46-23 and getting much of their scoring inside. The killer A’s; Aaliyah, Aubrey and Ayanna all showed up today and they kept the Huskies in the game.
  • Ines looked great in the first qtr, making several nice plays and showing remarkable poise. In the 2nd qtr, the going got a little rougher as she committed some turnovers. I would like to see Ines shoot the ball when the defense backs off. I think that confidence will come in time.
  • After a shaky start, Caroline picked up her play and made an impact. She needs to cut down on turnovers. But otherwise we're starting to see glimpses of the player that carried this team for much of last season.
  • I am incredibly proud of how hard UConn competed today! I know it’s so very difficult when so many Huskies are out with injuries. Be patient everyone. The time will come when the walking wounded will be back and no one will look forward to playing this UConn team.
Took too long to get DeBerry in. They played better w her and Lou on the court. The unforced turnovers hurt a lot!

Reaction Score
Great team effort. Maryland played very well, Uconn had an All American team out with injuries and yet were someone a few plays going their way down the stretch away from pulling away with a win.

AE looked like an All American

This will be a scary team to play in March if healthy by then.

Reaction Score
Great team effort. A loss that should have a big asterisk when the committee evaluates it in March. They had opportunities to win, which I wouldn’t have guessed going in.

Signs of life for Ducharme, not perfect, but improvement. And Ayanna has a great baseline jump shot. Wish Lou had been able to hunt more shots early in the game, foul trouble has been one of the few issues for her this year.

Proud of the team and the effort. We have a week to get a little bit healthier, and show our improvements mainly in the TO department. Maybe we’ll get lucky and have an 8th player available by then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom