McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return | Page 9 | The Boneyard

McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If we had Ditka, nobody would leave any danged trophy lying on our field.

Reaction Score
BTW this would likely be Randy's last stop which could help recruiting, other teams wouldn't be able to tell recruits that Randy has one foot out the door like they did last decade.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If Edsall is the guy that means Burton wrote the check and signed the memo line "Fire Diaco hire Edsall"

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Why he left for Maryland the way he did was explained many times over . . . he had no choice if he wanted to coach UConn in the Fiesta Bowl.

As for " just want to be smash-mouth again" . . . . the 60's called, they want that philosophy back. PLEASE NO. College football is about high scoring explosive offenses.
All you have to do is cut down turnovers & finish drives with scores. And an active defense that actually forces turnovers. Call it smash mouth, call it whatever you want, if you can do that you win a lot of games, period. Diaco never achieved this but you'd rather go back to him? Good grief.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
south-park-s20e01-member-berries_16x9.jpg

Member when... we used to go .500 in conference?
Member when... we used to win 7-8 games every year?
Member when... we had a competent O-line?

I would love to set the bar higher than Edsall, but after this 6-year nightmare I would kill for 8 wins and a mediocre/decent bowl game.
You are falling right in to the member berry trap!!

Reaction Score
Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Connecticut Huskies (Atlantic 10 Conference) (1999)
1999 Connecticut 4–7 3–5 T–6th
Connecticut Huskies (NCAA Division I-A Independent) (2000–2003)
2000 Connecticut 3–8
2001 Connecticut 2–9
2002 Connecticut 6–6
2003 Connecticut 9–3
Connecticut Huskies (Big East Conference) (2004–2011)
2004 Connecticut 8–4 3–3 T–5th W Motor City
2005 Connecticut 5–6 2–5 T–6th
2006 Connecticut 4–8 1–6 T–7th
2007 Connecticut 9–4 5–2 T–1st L Meineke Car Care
2008 Connecticut 8–5 3–4 5th W International
2009 Connecticut 8–5 3–4 T–4th W PapaJohns.com
2010 Connecticut 8–5 5–2 T–1st L Fiesta
Connecticut: 74–70 22–26

Maryland Terrapins (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2011–2013)
2011 Maryland 2–10 1–7 6th (Atlantic)
2012 Maryland 4–8 2–6 5th (Atlantic)
2013 Maryland 7–6 3–5 5th (Atlantic) L Military
Maryland Terrapins (Big Ten Conference) (2014–2015)
2014 Maryland 7–6 4–4 3rd (East) L Foster Farms
2015 Maryland 2–4 0–2 7th (East)
Maryland: 22–34 10–24​

Not my first choice but we could do worse, and, in fact, we have done worse for the last six years.

Yes, but I happen to believe we can do much better. Randy blows a hole in previous threads re the need to bring excitement back to UCONN football.I agree with the earlier post. If Randy, the retread, is the coach please cancel my four season tickets.

Reaction Score
Then who?

Who knows.. If I had to guess I would stay the good money is still on Moorhead and he's just be playing coy/saying the right things until he actually accepts the job.

This is just my personal intuition but I think RE is very far down the DB shortlist. A fallback option in case he strikes out on everyone else.

Reaction Score
Yes, but I happen to believe we can do much better. Randy blows a hole in previous threads re the need to bring excitement back to UCONN football.I agree with the earlier post. If Randy, the retread, is the coach please cancel my four season tickets.

We had some very good offensive years under Edsall. Orlovsky, Lorensen and Endres were each able to light up the scoreboard under Edsall and we had some dominant running attacks. It was not boring at all, the boredom started after he left....but lets not let facts enter the sillyness that is the Boneyard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All of you "bring back Randy" posters blow my mind. For the last two months everyone has been clammoring for UCONN to be more offensive minded. Randy doesn't fit that description.
We also talked about either bringing in a big name or an up and coming cuperstar. Randy fits neither description. He is a retread like PP.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Why he left for Maryland the way he did was explained many times over . . . he had no choice if he wanted to coach UConn in the Fiesta Bowl.

As for " just want to be smash-mouth again" . . . . the 60's called, they want that philosophy back. PLEASE NO. College football is about high scoring explosive offenses.
Smash-mouth is still alive in 2016. Of the 4 playoff teams, only Clemson passes more than 50% of the time. Even Penn State, OC Joe Moorhead, is less than 50%. You still need to be balanced with an effective passing game, which they are. But they are smash-mouth. Like we were with Brown, Dixon, Todman.

Reaction Score
So we can spend years, once again, bickering apologistas and haters about if he should be fired for being mediocre and having a vanila football approach or not. I, for one, would sign up for that. Remember the end of 09? Snow game against usf and the usc(e) bowl game.

I wouldnt be disappointed, hell ill be damn happy. I just really would love to have someone else.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The issue isn't smash mouth vs. air raid. It's about not being philosophically committed to not scoring and to shortening the game. If your only reason for putting an offense on the field is to give the defense a blow, you're going to have trouble winning games. Any time we came anywhere near close to a rhythm on offense we deliberately backed away from it - it was mind boggling at (frequent) times.

Reaction Score
He has a chance to fix his damaged legacy, from leaving here, to his experience at MD

And that would be my first question if he was named Coach. "Do you feel you have something to prove to the fans after the way you left in the dead of night after a huge high-point for the program, and what also proved to be a crucial juncture in the history of the program?"If he feels like he has nothing to prove it's a bad sign because he does.

It all has to do with a QB. You can't tell me we don't win the Fiesta Bowl with Dan O.

I would say that Oklahoma was possibly the hottest team in CFB at the time. We drew a terrible matchup but had a chance to keep it respectable.

If Moorhead becomes HC I bet Edsall joins on as DC. Would explain the recent twitter activity on his and DB's part.

This sounds great to me but the issue of flipping roles might be a tough pill to swallow for Edsall and awkward for Joe as well. I don't see it.

One thing I would add to the obvious fact that the landscape has changed since Randy was here and trying to replicate previous success using the same recipe isn't a slam dunk. Building a solid offensive line and employing a pressure D that can make some big plays and force the occasional turnover cures a lot of ills. Add in decent special teams and you win some of the games we lost this year. As many as 3 of those games winnable with this exact personnel even with the holes on o-line. We would probably be at least 6-6 with this group under Randy. That said I'd rather aim a little higher on the offensive side unless he has a can't miss OC lined up and allows him to run the show. Have heard a few good ideas from former players recently and DB should be considering them.

Reaction Score
I have a gut feeling that the next coach , whoever it is, was already determined before the Diaco firing. Benedict stating that he initially intended on keeping Diaco and that something made him change his mind. Couple that with the next coach is expected to be announced within 48 hours tells me that an opportunity to hire a coach fell into his lap pretty quick. I have no idea who that coach is but it is possible that it is someone that has not been mentioned here. AKA an opportunity he couldn't pass up.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I have a gut feeling that the next coach , whoever it is, was already determined before the Diaco firing. Benedict stating that he initially intended on keeping Diaco and that something made him change his mind. Couple that with the next coach is expected to be announced within 48 hours tells me that an opportunity to hire a coach fell into his lap pretty quick. I have no idea who that coach is but it is possible that it is someone that has not been mentioned here. AKA an opportunity he couldn't pass up.
He had to line up the money as well but I'm with you, I think he knew who he was getting before pulling the trigger on BD.

Reaction Score
At Maryland he blamed the players all the time. I did not keep a list.

Also he was hysterical on the sideline and got in players face after a bad play.... not saying he should coddle them, but Randy always went overboard
Of course Calhoun would never do something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom