McHugh weighs in on Diaco hire (OMG) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McHugh weighs in on Diaco hire (OMG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The weakness in McHugh's argument when mentioning Yale's fans in the 20s, 30s and 40s is that the NFL was perceived as the WWE of football back then. But at the same time, Roy Kramer did say we have SEC potential as a fanbase.

UConn football is not demolished. Calm down man.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Let me get this right. The same guy who pushed Hathaway to bring Pasqualoni here (pissing off a major donor in the process) is now acting as if he had nothing to do with it?

That is not true as I have talked to Larry a couple of times and he wanted Randy to stay and his choice for head coach would not have been FHCPP just for an FYI

Reaction Score
That is not true as I have talked to Larry a couple of times and he wanted Randy to stay and his choice for head coach would not have been FHCPP just for an FYI

Bill, your input is appreciated (good to know BY connections run deep). But with all due respect have a hard time believing Larry was that opposed to P, especially since he had to know about Burton's objections and the support of CT coaches. I'd be very interested to know if CT coaches personally lobbied Larry on this one.

Also understand that BOT head wants to stay above the fray and not micromanage, but with an important position like FB coach he should have had a handle on the Edsall-JH relationship and should have been getting updates on how negotiations were going. At least ask Randy the week of the Fiesta Bowl if he was happy, at a minimum.

Oh well. It's Diaco and upward now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
McHugh was far from being opposed to P but from what I have heard (which others on this forum have heard from different sources) P was Hathaway's idea, mainly to get in McHugh's good graces.

McHugh viewed Hathaway as being worthless (which he was), JH thought that if he gave the football job to someone McHugh knew very well and liked very much it would improve his standing in McHugh's eyes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every time I see him there are always a lot of people around so I never get to really ask him. At this stage it hardly matters.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The weakness in McHugh's argument when mentioning Yale's fans in the 20s, 30s and 40s is that the NFL was perceived as the WWE of football back then.
Ya know, I kinda doubt that was the weakness of McHugh's argument.

Reaction Score
Ya know, I kinda doubt that was the weakness of McHugh's argument.
When the NFL dominates the market....

Did you know the NFL (or AFL) couldn't even successfully penetrate Boston until 1960 because of Harvard?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
When the NFL dominates the market....

Did you know the NFL (or AFL) couldn't even successfully penetrate Boston until 1960 because of Harvard?
That's nice. Good thing UConn doesn't have to compete the NFL as the most financially successful sports league in the world in our time OH WAIT THEY TOTALLY ARE BECAUSE IT'S NOT 1960 ANYMORE.

Reaction Score
That's nice. Good thing UConn doesn't have to compete the NFL as the most financially successful sports league in the world in our time OH WAIT THEY TOTALLY ARE BECAUSE IT'S NOT 1960 ANYMORE.
They still compete for fan $, dumb@ss.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Bill, your input is appreciated (good to know BY connections run deep). But with all due respect have a hard time believing Larry was that opposed to P, especially since he had to know about Burton's objections and the support of CT coaches. I'd be very interested to know if CT coaches personally lobbied Larry on this one.

You've created your own fan fiction here.

You have McHugh asking high school coaches to write recommendation letters - that didn't happen. For the record, that was not the only high school association that wrote to recommend P - they came from the entire tri-state. Take a minute and think, who would ask three or four states' worth of HS associations to write glowing recommendations about Paul Pasqualoni?

It should take you all of one second to come up with a name.

Unfortunately, Hathaway was operating under an interim president and I don't think Austin gave a crap what he did. JH ran his own search, kept his own counsel and leaned largely on a few people in particular who recommended Pasqualoni - Jake Crouthamel had his ear in a big, big way.

In the end, P got hired because JH put together a s--- list of candidates and P looked good by association. We just had a bad AD - that search helped get him canned.

And McHugh was the guy who went to Burton after the fact and brought him back into the fold.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Also understand that BOT head wants to stay above the fray and not micromanage, but with an important position like FB coach he should have had a handle on the Edsall-JH relationship and should have been getting updates on how negotiations were going. At least ask Randy the week of the Fiesta Bowl if he was happy, at a minimum.

Oh well. It's Diaco and upward now.

He wanted Randy to stay and was trying to make that happen alone with others with seeing the removal of Hathaway as AD.

My guess local coaches had more say than they should have, but I didn't hear that from Larry

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In the end, P got hired because JH put together a s--- list of candidates and P looked good by association.

This can't be overstated, by the way. When choosing between Garrick McGee, Mark Whipple, Norries Wilson, Ken O'Keefe, and Hank Hughes, it made choosing Pasqualoni look like a "no-brainer" (insert joke here ___ ). Contrast that list with what we were tossing around this time. This is a much different hiring process than the previous one, and Warde deserves a lot of credit for that...

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2011/01/post-pp-presser-items.html

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

The NFL had successfully penetrated the market during that time. They were all Giants fans.

Reaction Score
No way everyone was Giants fans. Everyone was a Hofstra fan!

Reaction Score
In the end, this is more of an indictment of McHugh then, isn't it? Did he take a laissez faire attitude to the hire, knowing as head of the pres search, the proclivities of those his job was to review, and the flux of the school and the department? Did McHugh not know what everyone knew, that JH was a lame duck walking? I venture that the truth, as always, lies somewhere in between. It's enough for me that McHugh failed to provide resistance to the amateur hour candidate pool and hire, not that he actively enabled it. The safe choice, the decision to stay provincial and insulate the program from further change by hiring a lifer was the theme of the day, a theme carried forth with no opposition from anyone in influence at the school- BoT on down- except for the one guy that they kept hanging up on, whose influence was far less, unfortunately, than the short timers above him.

Again, hindsight is 20/20. Mistakes in process, review, judgment and hire were made. Those doing it this time around learned from it. A lot of good has been done by McHugh, so whether his lack of oversight or his invisible hand contributed to Pasqualoni's hire, it's ameliorated by his success in other, deeper areas, and by the hire under his review of Herbst, Manuel, and now, finally Diaco.

Unfortunately, Hathaway was operating under an interim president and I don't think Austin gave a crap what he did. JH ran his own search, kept his own counsel and leaned largely on a few people in particular who recommended Pasqualoni

Reaction Score
In the end, this is more of an indictment of McHugh then, isn't it? Did he take a laissez faire attitude to the hire, knowing as head of the pres search, the proclivities of those his job was to review, and the flux of the school and the department? Did McHugh not know what everyone knew, that JH was a lame duck walking? I venture that the truth, as always, lies somewhere in between. It's enough for me that McHugh failed to provide resistance to the amateur hour candidate pool and hire, not that he actively enabled it. The safe choice, the decision to stay provincial and insulate the program from further change by hiring a lifer was the theme of the day, a theme carried forth with no opposition from anyone in influence at the school- BoT on down- except for the one guy that they kept hanging up on, whose influence was far less, unfortunately, than the short timers above him.

Again, hindsight is 20/20. Mistakes in process, review, judgment and hire were made. Those doing it this time around learned from it. A lot of good has been done by McHugh, so whether his lack of oversight or his invisible hand contributed to Pasqualoni's hire, it's ameliorated by his success in other, deeper areas, and by the hire under his review of Herbst, Manuel, and now, finally Diaco.

Nobody is defending anyone's role in the clusterduck of the hiring process 3 years ago. But what you just posted here is a long way from ruskin's opinion that McHugh pushed for the P hire by coercing HS coaches to write letters of recommendation. That did not happen. No matter how often he repeats it.

Reaction Score

You have McHugh asking high school coaches to write recommendation letters - that didn't happen. For the record, that was not the only high school association that wrote to recommend P - they came from the entire tri-state. Take a minute and think, who would ask three or four states' worth of HS associations to write glowing recommendations about Paul Pasqualoni?

Let me ask you this, Fish. Forget about the other states. Just focus on the CT guys. The Fillippone-Marinelli crowd have such a high enough opinion of themselves that they thought their letter would carry some weight. Looks like it did. If they have high enough opinion of themselves to write that letter, it seems extremely plausible they would "reach out" and personally lobby for P to McHugh , who is a member emeritus of their esteemed organization.

Whatever. The point of the OP was the guy who thinks Diaco is such a great hire is trying to disassociate himself from his role in the P hire, which he enabled to some degree (I happen to believe it was a lot). He also enabled the retention of P after last season, a decision which also set back the program. For McHugh or other folks to pretend he was an innocent bystander in both decisions is a little too cute by half.

Reaction Score
There is a huge difference between being an innocent bystander and being guilty of a conspiracy to enrich one's friends while bringing a university to its knees on purpose (even though it would reflect poorly on him also). Which seems to be the case you are trying to make. If you have ever had a conversation with the man...I'm certain you wouldn't find him the center of the axis of evil.

Reaction Score
There is a huge difference between being an innocent bystander and being guilty of a conspiracy to enrich one's friends while bringing a university to its knees on purpose (even though it would reflect poorly on him also). Which seems to be the case you are trying to make. If you have ever had a conversation with the man...I'm certain you wouldn't find him the center of the axis of evil.

No, no, no, don't think in any way "evil" or he was "conspiring" to enrich P. Just think a lot of old-timer football people in this state, including McHugh, had a blind spot when it came to P, which combined with a weak and football-ignorant AD and an interim president who could not have cared less abut the hire created a perfect storm of failure, which in this case is most definitely an orphan. And a lot of what this program has gone through could have been prevented if he had stepped in last December.

Reaction Score
No, no, no, don't think in any way "evil" or he was "conspiring" to enrich P. Just think a lot of old-timer football people in this state, including McHugh, had a blind spot when it came to P, which combined with a weak and football-ignorant AD and an interim president who could not have cared less abut the hire created a perfect storm of failure, which in this case is most definitely an orphan. And a lot of what this program has gone through could have been prevented if he had stepped in last December.

I think that you are right that the circumstances led to coach P being hired. And yes, in retrospect, P should have been fired in December. And YES, I know that a lot of you called for it here.

BUT - in both 2011 and 2012, we were 1 win away from a bowl (including games that were choked away in Vandy in 2011 and Temple in 2012), AND we were not out of bowl contention until our final game of the season. And SH and WM were fully on board at that point, WM had just gone through the Ollie situation, and while I know we were all unhappy about how the season ended, and were concerned (rightly so) about P's ability to do anything this year, I don't think the evidence was there for the BOT chair to come in over the top and force a decision on his people. If you go out and hire SH and WM, you have to let them do their jobs. If JH were still here with an interim president, then by all means he should have taken the ball. But not firing P last year is on WM/SH - not on McHugh.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think that you are right that the circumstances led to coach P being hired. And yes, in retrospect, P should have been fired in December. And YES, I know that a lot of you called for it here.

BUT - in both 2011 and 2012, we were 1 win away from a bowl (including games that were choked away in Vandy in 2011 and Temple in 2012), AND we were not out of bowl contention until our final game of the season. And SH and WM were fully on board at that point, WM had just gone through the Ollie situation, and while I know we were all unhappy about how the season ended, and were concerned (rightly so) about P's ability to do anything this year, I don't think the evidence was there for the BOT chair to come in over the top and force a decision on his people. If you go out and hire SH and WM, you have to let them do their jobs. If JH were still here with an interim president, then by all means he should have taken the ball. But not firing P last year is on WM/SH - not on McHugh.

One thought that occurred to me over this past weekend is that one unintended consequence of our loss to Temple last year was that it could have been what put Daz over the top (ahead of Diaco) as a candidate for BC.

Reaction Score
But not firing P last year is on WM/SH - not on McHugh.

I'll respectfully disagree with that. He bears some responsibility. I'll assume he was at the Rent for the Cincy game last year and like the rest of us saw how dead the crowd and team was -- with a bowl berth on the line a week after beating a ranked team on the road! I get the fact he doesn't want to micro-manage but P was not a micro issue. At a minimum there should have been a meeting of the three minds (indeed, there may have been one). Somebody decided it was worth not paying the P $1 million buyout last year and crossed their fingers and hoped things got better. Sure there's a good story in there as exactly how that went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom