McCallie steps in it; no "lessons learned;" UConn mention [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

McCallie steps in it; no "lessons learned;" UConn mention [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The returning players and fans don't deserve this. Maybe after this coming season's record she'll shut up (well maybe not). Maybe 4-12 or worse in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Now... I love me some Kiah and am THRILLED we have her on the Lib. BUT - Just keeping you honest:
Kiah - Stats her senior year at UConn:http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html

Kiah - 2 years in the WNBA

WNBA CAREER STATS
PPG RPG APG BPG MPG SPG
6.5 7.0 0.8 1.9 26.0 0.7

UCONN Sr Year
4.5 6.8 3.7 18.3

So, in 8 more minutes, she's averaging two more points..
You are going to compare someones senior year stats in college to the WNBA?

Reaction Score
This would be a great opportunity for the Duke drama department to do the Duke Mutiny. Here's how I envision it. The climatic scene has the coach pacing back and forth on an unnamed metaphorical ship painted blue. It is in danger of sinking. Coach is unable to rally the troops as they see tournament landfall way beyond their reach...again. The coach begs the troops to stay the course; we'll right the ship soon... or maybe someday. Horror strikes the shipmates as they see coach pull out three of Danny K's miniature basketballs with the UConn logo out of the duffle bag. As coach begins to juggle them in the air and stares at the troops, she screams "I don't care about the damn strawberries...I want to know who has been stealing my loyal players from me. It's a plot, I tell you. It's either the Illuminati or that guy in Connecticut with the nice hair. Nobody can transfer, err, I mean leave, until I get to the bottom of this mess"! Lights dim and the curtain begins to close and a dozen young athletes check their eligibility as jumping ship may not seem like a bad option after all.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that Coach McCallie did herself no favors with this outburst. After being cleared by the AD and the university, she basically engages in a truly mean-spirited and low-class outburst, certainly highly unbecoming of any top-tier coach. The AD cannot have appreciated this. I'm guessing that Duke officials might just be meeting quietly to plan the program's future. This is the sort of thing that sets wheels of change in motion, however slowly they turn at first.
When a coach starts criticizing former players, its time for the school to get rid of the coach.

Reaction Score
When a coach starts criticizing former players, its time for the school to get rid of the coach.
Well Duke can retain her and put up with stuff like this, or dump her and pay off the remainder of her contract. For the present, Duke has decided to keep her.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Well Duke can retain her and put up with stuff like this, or dump her and pay off the remainder of her contract. For the present, Duke has decided to keep her.

Proving not all minds at Duke are great............at assessing the plus/minus of buying Joannie P out or keeping their reputation as a great bball school intact. Methinks the financial considerations outweighed the potential damages of keeping her. Wrong again!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Proving not all minds at Duke are great..at assessing the plus/minus of buying Joannie P out or keeping their reputation as a great bball school intact. Methinks the financial considerations outweighed the potential damages of keeping her. Wrong again!
This latest episode didn't help her. I'd counsel her to be silent. A few more of these may cause them to rethink their decision.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 11.16.22 AM.png

Reaction Score
Proving not all minds at Duke are great..at assessing the plus/minus of buying Joannie P out or keeping their reputation as a great bball school intact. Methinks the financial considerations outweighed the potential damages of keeping her. Wrong again!

I think you nailed it here. I'm guessing the other thought they had was that this would serve as a huge warning shot across the bow of the "Caine" for JPM. ;) Unfortunately for Duke, she isn't viewing it as it was intended. Rather she views it as redemption of her coaching and even an endorsement of her as a "top" program coach, so much so that she feels she can go after the best coach in the business through the press. So instead of JPM feeling grateful for the "second chance", afforded her by Duke, this review process has only served to empower her radical thinking further. What an idiot!

Reaction Score
Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie, never known from shying away from speaking her mind (with or without actually thinking and occasionally doing so in a delusional manner), demonstrates that she not only did not have any "lessons learned" from Duke's HR investigation of her, she will attack anyone who dares to criticize her, including her former All-Americans.

On criticism and the HR investigation
Crisis has a way of clarifying, but I was really disenchanted with former players trying to interrupt what the current players are doing. I think that’s a really bad thing. I don’t think anybody should try to play AD and play a role of that nature.
I wasn’t comfortable with it in the sense that I liked it, but I was very proud of the team. I never shared that sort of pathetic—the attack mode of people thinking they know better and things of that nature. I never understood or appreciated that at all.

NOTE: One of the primary triggers for the investigation was a letter authored by Duke alum and All-American Elizabeth Williams, the most decorated and highest ranked recruit of the McCallie era, expressing serious concerns about McCallie and the state of the program.

On Azurá Stevens
She went to USA, did really well. We were really proud of her. I think she came back from USA a different player and a different person a little bit with her thoughts about things. I knew all season that she was struggling. This was no surprise. Very devastating, but no surprise.

She played well at times, then she had the injury with the plantar fascia That was extremely distressing for her to have that. I just think that Azurá made that decision to go to Connecticut. She told us, she told her teammates that 'I want a guaranteed national championship.' That became something more important than a Duke education. It was really sad.

NOTE: The comment about USA Basketball is an indirect attack on Dawn Staley.

On transfers and UConn
If you’re looking at us, we’re one of the lowest transfer rates of any program out there. I wrote them all down. We’ve got two players in nine years that have transferred and played at Duke. I’m not talking about somebody who sat on the bench. Alexis Jones, who is very good, got injured and went home. We miss her greatly, always will, always have, just like Azurá. That’s a pretty astounding thing.
When have you known Connecticut to take transfers? They took two this year. They took Azurá and [Batouly Camara] from Kentucky. Make sure you look at this stuff from a deep point of view, because why is [Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma] doing that? You know why he’s doing that? Because talent is down. And he wants to continue to win. Obviously, they’re great.

But really? Is that what we’re about now, I’m going to take transfers? That was the neat thing they used to have. Connecticut wasn’t a transfer school. Now, even if they win it, who cares? I can’t even understand it because he’s such a good coach and it’s such a great program.

NOTE: McCallie does not believe bench players count as transfers; only starters count. Her transfer count is in double digits.

That being said, even going with starters, she forgot about former MCDAA Sierra Calhoun who started every game of her first season, before transferring after the first semester ended.

And the best part is that McCallie had to answer a question about the two transfers she took in the past two years, immediately after attacking transfers and the players' mentalities about transferring.

#Delusion
#ConvinceYourself

Q&A: Duke women's basketball head coach Joanne McCallie discusses HR evaluation, recent high-profile departures
I agree with her on the transfer comments to a point. U Conn was hurting at the 4 and 5 position with Butler being the only true 5. KLS is tall but more of a 3 to me. If Tuck stayed they would of been ok. But at the same time i don't blame them for doing it. The object is to win games right ? U Conn did what they had to do.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Irrational garbage from coach JPM! Lexie called you and the first words out of your mouth is "I don't take transfers"-BS! She would have been better off keeping Geno's and UCONN's name out of her mouth. It's on and popping right now! Your not going to slam two people from Philly (Dawn & Geno) and get away with it. South Carolina play Duke this year?

Nah, we got Louisville out of the ACC this year. Not really surprised she called out Dawn/USA Basketball.. she's been kinda salty with SC every since we beat them the last few times... just from listening to her post games pressers and what she would say to the press right after our game. She only took the SC series because she thought for sure Duke could beat SC. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't play Duke for quite awhile.

I'm VERY surprised she called out UCONN and Geno. She even went as far as to bring up Duke's academic "superiority"...

Reaction Score
I agree with her on the part about U Conn being down on talent at the 4 and 5 spot. Butler is the only true 5 and she has had her struggles. If Tuck stayed they would of been fine. They did what they had to do to fix their weakness. I see nothing wrong with that. Object of the game is to win right? Any transfer would be a fool not to go to U Conn if given the chance. I have to admit i am a little curious as to how Staley is getting all these quality transfers? It does look a little fishy when girls she is coaching in summer ball end up leaving to play for her the next year. They could just like playing for her. But if she is using it as a tool to recruit and get in players ears to sway them her direction then that is kind of shady.

Reaction Score
But if she is using it as a tool to recruit and get in players ears to sway them her direction then that is kind of shady.
Agreed, but that's a big and unproven (maybe unprovable) IF.....

Reaction Score
I agree with her on the transfer comments to a point. U Conn was hurting at the 4 and 5 position with Butler being the only true 5. KLS is tall but more of a 3 to me. If Tuck stayed they would of been ok. But at the same time i don't blame them for doing it. The object is to win games right ? U Conn did what they had to do.
You do realize we didn't steal them away? They chose to leave.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with her on the part about U Conn being down on talent at the 4 and 5 spot. Butler is the only true 5 and she has had her struggles. If Tuck stayed they would of been fine. They did what they had to do to fix their weakness. I see nothing wrong with that. Object of the game is to win right? Any transfer would be a fool not to go to U Conn if given the chance. I have to admit i am a little curious as to how Staley is getting all these quality transfers? It does look a little fishy when girls she is coaching in summer ball end up leaving to play for her the next year. They could just like playing for her. But if she is using it as a tool to recruit and get in players ears to sway them her direction then that is kind of shady.
Has Dawn actually gotten a transfer from someone she coached for USA basketball? People thought Stevens might be headed in that direction when she first announced she was transferring but that didn't happen. I haven't quite decided how good a coach Dawn is - she is good and she has built SC into a national power and a model program in terms of fan support quicker than most expected and had done the same sort of development at Temple, but where she ranks compared to Muffet and Tara and Jeff and Kim in the actual coaching vs. the recruiting/teaching/game coaching is still a question to me.
On the transfers issue - love how JPM counts transfers out - by that counting method Uconn hasn't ever had a transfer. As for transfers in, if team needs, player talent and demeanor align, you would be a very bad coach to not consider accepting a transfer - seems like JPM followed that route with Brown who fills a desperate need at Duke for a good guard, and who seems to be a good person as well. And she has another one coming in this year in Roma from Wagner at 6'2" to help replace Stevens no doubt.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Probably the same way any other school is getting high quality transfers.

Dawn Staley has never coached Kaela Davis, Alisha Gray, Alexis Jennings or Sarah Imovbioh for "summer ball" or USA Basketball. You would've had a point had Azura decided to transfer to SC... but she didn't, so there's really no basis for your point. Azura was dead set on UCONN a long time before her transfer was announced apparently.

Last edited:

JS

Reaction Score
With apologies to my esteemed colleague JS....[Duke Mutiny Poster]
Speaking of McCallie paranoia, I looked for a good Caine Mutiny still of Bogie rolling the steel balls around in his fingers while he testified about how the officers and crew were all out to undermine him.

No bus to throw them under on the high seas. And you can't see what he took out of his pocket when under pressure too well, but here's a couple of comparison shots.

Humphrey-Bogart-Captain-Queeg-The-Caine-Mutiny.jpg

"They let me down."

Show your other hand, P . . .

dwhoops_130310_2013_acc_championship_duke_92_unc_73_161.jpg

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In a way I feel sorry for her, as I did for fictional Captain Queeg - deserving sympathy as well as scorn. Both manifested the application of the Peter Principle ("Everyone rises to their level of incompetence") and have demonstrated a tragic inability to be objectively introspective.

Queeg's assignment (promotion) as commander of the USS Caine was presumably based satisfactory performance in previous USN positions - combined with the wartime needs of the Navy. Thus he rose to his level of incompetence.

McCallie had been successful as coach at Maine and Michigan State, both public universities with modest expectations for their wcbb programs. She was a logical and initially popular choice for the Duke position. It has become increasingly apparent (except to the Duke Board of Regents) that JPM has indeed been promoted to her level of incompetence within the hierarchy of wcbb coaches.

It is now easy to sense that her recent diatribe about transfers manifests the same frustration as Captain Queeg when he rolled the steel balls and blamed his crew for letting him down.

P.S. Queeg's successor as the Caine Skipper had all the characteristics of another Peter Principle example. Dookies should be careful what the wish for.;)

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Dawn Staley has never coached Kaela Davis, Alisha Gray, Alexis Jennings or Sarah Imovbioh for "summer ball" or USA Basketball. You would've had a point had Azura decided to transfer to SC... but she didn't, so there's really no basis for your point. Azura was dead set on UCONN a long time before her transfer was announced apparently.[/QUOTE

Perhaps that's the reason they transferred there.

Reaction Score
You do realize we didn't steal them away? They chose to leave.
I don't recall saying U Conn stole anyone. I actually supported what they did. Times are changing. Transfers use to be rare and now they happen all the time. You have to keep up with the rest of the pack.

Reaction Score
Speaking of McCallie paranoia, I looked for a good Caine Mutiny still of Bogie rolling the steel balls around in his fingers while he testified about how the officers and crew were all out to undermine him.

Humphrey-Bogart-Captain-Queeg-The-Caine-Mutiny.jpg

dwhoops_130310_2013_acc_championship_duke_92_unc_73_161.jpg

Let's remember how the story ends: with moral ambiguity. "I thought the wrong man was on trial, so I torpedoed Queeg for you."

Not trying to make that connection here, but just trying to keep the cultural reference precise. (Pedant? moi?)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Dawn Staley has never coached Kaela Davis, Alisha Gray, Alexis Jennings or Sarah Imovbioh for "summer ball" or USA Basketball. You would've had a point had Azura decided to transfer to SC... but she didn't, so there's really no basis for your point. Azura was dead set on UCONN a long time before her transfer was announced apparently.
Forgive me if im wrong. But i thought i heard She coached a couple of the girls before at some level. Weather it being one of the U.S.A. teams or something else. I know she tried to recruit a couple of them for sure. When you have i think like 4 quality girls transfer to the same school in just a few years it catches your attention. Like i said maybe they just like her style of coaching. I never said she was doing anything wrong. Just said it has to make you wonder a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom