McCall to be on campus for 1st Night | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McCall to be on campus for 1st Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only one official visit is allowed to each school, and a player can go on a maximum of five official visits. A player also can't go on an official visit until the fall of their senior year. Any visit before that must be unofficial.
When Saniya Chong visited in the spring, was that an unofficial or an official? Are players allowed to take more than one official visit at one school or are they limited to only one official visit per school?

Reaction Score
Only one official visit is allowed to each school, and a player can go on a maximum of five official visits. A player also can't go on an official visit until the fall of their senior year. Any visit before that must be unofficial.

Thanks for the information, so all visits prior to senior year are unofficial, good to know!

JS

Reaction Score
  • Choice seats at the SuperShow, surrounded by the UConn version of the Secret Service.
Makes it hard to slip 'em those secret, coded notes, eh Kib?

Limericks on cardboard placards solved that problem for a time. The erudite form of English was appreciated by the recruits yet proved impenetrable to the orange-garbed internet sentinels.

Eventually, though, they caught on from clues posted on this board. "Loose lips sink ships," as they used to say.

"Hey, nice poem for DelleDonne." "Thanks. Here's one I wrote for Doty." Enough posts like that, and even those whose lips would move while parsing them began to think something was up.

That's when we went to messages written in lemon juice on the back of campus maps. Oops. Just kidding. Ha ha. Forget I said it, watchers.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Would be nice if UConn could get a commitment or two for 2013 before the early signing period.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That's when we went to messages written in lemon juice on the back of campus maps. Oops. Just kidding. Ha ha. Forget I said it, watchers.

Just remember to say "Mischief managed" before Voldemort gets a look at the note and you'll be copasetic.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit a follow-up comment about official visits, especially for the SuperShow.

Some recruits rate compatibility with their future teammates highly as a factor when deciding where to enroll and play. So the assignment of personal hosts is done carefully, not randomly.

Let me guess in advance that Kaleena would host Erica (two Cali gals) and that Bria would host Saniya (and let Chong try on her shoes -- after all, wouldn't we like SC to think that those Nikes are the ones she is destined to fill?). Maybe Caroline Doty for Courtney Ekmark? Morgan Tuck for Linnae Harper? Breanna Stewart or Moriah Jefferson for Brianna Turner?

I have memories of Mel Thomas (herself a recruit, wearing a UConn sweatshirt) energetically recruiting Charde Houston. And we never had a more enthusiastic recruit at the SuperShow than Chelsey Lee (remember those balloon headpieces?); she leaned heavily toward UConn then went to Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Agree - I think if she gets in at Stanford then it is hard to believe she will come to Uconn unless Geno and the girls absolutely wow her and her parents are fully behind it. Stanford is just a different league in terms of education*, and a very fine basketball school.
* I know education is what you put into it and Uconn is a good school ... but, there is a real world difference in a job interview between the two diplomas.

I think it boils down to this:
Does she want to possibly be a great BB player and get a good education or does she want to be a very good BB player and get a great education. It's an interesting choice, isn't it?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Could be any number of things. Maybe she'll click with a head coach or an assistant. Maybe she'd rather be closer to home or in warm weather. Maybe she likes one group of kids more than another. Maybe one school will just "feel" like home. Kids are unpredictable.

Reaction Score
Of course Sierra Calhoun would be there.. her brother is on the men's team remember? LOL no way she would or the family would miss that event
Chong and McCall will both be there. If Linnae shows up Geno may have a trifecta up his sleeve.

Any word about Ekmark, Turner or Calhoun?

Reaction Score
Of course Sierra Calhoun would be there.. her brother is on the men's team remember? LOL no way she would or the family would miss that event
Chong and McCall will both be there. If Linnae shows up Geno may have a trifecta up his sleeve.

Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is not necessarily true, at least not in the sense of her being there as a guest or visitor for the WCBB team. It's possible she might be there as part of her family to support her brother, but her recruitment has been kind of quiet. I hope UCONN is serious and pursuing her as I have heard a ton of great things about her game. I really would love for her to be a Husky...

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... Stanford is just a different league in terms of education*, and a very fine basketball school.
* I know education is what you put into it and Uconn is a good school ... but, there is a real world difference in a job interview between the two diplomas.

- Enjoy your posts, UcMiami. I guess we disagree on this one, but may simply have different experience. This contradicts my experience on hiring boards, or being presented with their recommendations for decision. My familiarity is limited to twelve years managing government R&D programs and eight years in industry.
-- My background may also differ from others in that the areas we hired were normally just for positions in engineering (chiefly either R&D or the production side of: chemical, electrical, mechanical, or software development), logistics, fiscal, contracts, administration, IT, QA, marketing, and entry level project management.
-- While a resume, networking, and perseverance each help get that interview, my experience is the candidate’s performance in the interview was overwhelmingly important (whether it should be or not). Throughout all the detailed discussion or advocacy, I don’t recall decision makers seriously considering where mere undergrad work was done as a difference maker between capable candidates. With some duds graduating from every school, nobody knows, or cares, if it’s because they attended merely due to parent's donations, squandered that diversity opportunity for Lower Slobbovia, or had academic potential but merely lost their way.
-- As a student, and a parent, I’m familiar with Universities pitching they “Open Doors.” Having worked eight years in business marketing, I’m very familiar with the hopeful mantra such ‘images can become reality.’ But I’m also familiar with that proving to be bunk - at least in recruiting within the organizations I have been in, and (as far as I can tell) the industry contractors and subcontractors we managed.

--While still talking merely about BA’s and BS’, I must say what impresses me as a parent (I believe Diggerfoot’s point as an experienced educator in the thread: OT: Epp! Rutgers!) is not school names/images but their potential for true faculty mentoring. I appreciate that can be very tough for a parent to assess, but fortunately, not regarding UConn WCBB. And that brings me, to my main point…

- So what edge does UConn WCBB clearly provide its student athletes - a nearly tangible asset – that may be hit or miss elsewhere? It’s a pleasure to watch (as a fan) UConn WCBB players being interviewed by the media as freshmen… and then listen to them as seniors; their dress, deportment, aplomb, and communication. By the time they leave (1) not only the extraordinary media gauntlet, but much more importantly, (2) the Chris Dailey Finishing School mentoring within the very heart of Coach Auriemma’s UConn program... I too would indeed argue UConn WBB’s program provides “…a real world difference in a job interview,” regardless of their major.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
- Enjoy your posts, UcMiami. I guess we disagree on this one, but may simply have different experience.
I cut down the quote just to save space - very complete assessment. My experience is 20 years of interviewing/hiring for a niche market research company, looking for both entry level folks for clarical work and also everything up to VP - also doing the same in Montego Bay, JA where we had a facility. One problem we had was that almost none of the applicants had any experience we considered comparable to our particular business. I absolutely agree that interview and previous job experience were much more important than undergrad school, but when sorting through resumes and deciding who would get brought in I admit college did have an affect between otherwise similar resumes. (The strangest applicant ever was one whose military records were classified - interesting but a little scary as well!)
The other side of college beyond actual job interviews is the networking that occurs. In my particular experience, I ended up (10 years later) working on a start up with someone I met at college, and making a very successful career. And my mother had a very interesting take on one of my sisters' choice of school - mom recognized that my sister would end up getting married to someone she met at college and that the social environment would be more important that the specific academics. A very old fashioned attitute I know, but one that proved to be correct. While there are lots of success stories (and disasters) related to any university's graduates, I think the higher up the scale of academic excellence you go generally, the high % of success. Success is not an indicator of happiness, but it can smooth over some of life's bumps.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Bingo, a lot of it is what opens doors and who you know.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
- Enjoy your posts, UcMiami. I guess we disagree on this one, but may simply have different experience. This contradicts my experience on hiring boards, or being presented with their recommendations for decision. My familiarity is limited to twelve years managing government R&D programs and eight years in industry.
-- My background may also differ from others in that the areas we hired were normally just for positions in engineering (chiefly either R&D or the production side of: chemical, electrical, mechanical, or software development), logistics, fiscal, contracts, administration, IT, QA, marketing, and entry level project management.
-- While a resume, networking, and perseverance each help get that interview, my experience is the candidate’s performance in the interview was overwhelmingly important (whether it should be or not). Throughout all the detailed discussion or advocacy, I don’t recall decision makers seriously considering where mere undergrad work was done as a difference maker between capable candidates. With some duds graduating from every school, nobody knows, or cares, if it’s because they attended merely due to parent's donations, squandered that diversity opportunity for Lower Slobbovia, or had academic potential but merely lost their way.
-- As a student, and a parent, I’m familiar with Universities pitching they “Open Doors.” Having worked eight years in business marketing, I’m very familiar with the hopeful mantra such ‘images can become reality.’ But I’m also familiar with that proving to be bunk - at least in recruiting within the organizations I have been in, and (as far as I can tell) the industry contractors and subcontractors we managed.

--While still talking merely about BA’s and BS’, I must say what impresses me as a parent (I believe Diggerfoot’s point as an experienced educator in the thread: OT: Epp! Rutgers!) is not school names/images but their potential for true faculty mentoring. I appreciate that can be very tough for a parent to assess, but fortunately, not regarding UConn WCBB. And that brings me, to my main point…

- So what edge does UConn WCBB clearly provide its student athletes - a nearly tangible asset – that may be hit or miss elsewhere? It’s a pleasure to watch (as a fan) UConn WCBB players being interviewed by the media as freshmen… and then listen to them as seniors; their dress, deportment, aplomb, and communication. By the time they leave (1) not only the extraordinary media gauntlet, but much more importantly, (2) the Chris Dailey Finishing School mentoring within the very heart of Coach Auriemma’s UConn program... I too would indeed argue UConn WBB’s program provides “…a real world difference in a job interview,” regardless of their major.

In a follow-up to this and UcMiami, there's an aspect of truth to both. I suspect from my own experiences that there is a correlation between the academic reputation of a school and success of students, but the relationship is spurious. Schools with a higher academic reputation draw students on average who know how to succeed better and thus it should be no surprise that they do.

But I would like to reemphasize, as arty does, that the causality for success generally starts with the student, not with the school. I'd also like to reemphasize my observations as both student and instructor at multiple schools that intelligence is not a primary causal factor, rather it's networking and perseverance. Students who persevere and network well will generally succeed both as a student and in a career regardless of differences in intelligence.

To approach this differently, have all the impressive people you met come from the schools with the best reputations, or did they have some other commonalities besides what kind of school they attended? Those who can succeed in the UConn basketball program likely have these commonalities and will demonstrate success at whatever they want; a fact that should not be lost on either prospective recruits to the program or the prospective employers they will encounter.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In a follow-up to this and UcMiami, there's an aspect of truth to both. I suspect from my own experiences that there is a correlation between the academic reputation of a school and success of students, but the relationship is spurious. Schools with a higher academic reputation draw students on average who know how to succeed better and thus it should be no surprise that they do.
Absoluely agree with this - it is more the students that you are surrounded with and their expectations/drive than the school itself that makes the difference. I grew up in Storrs as a faculty brat at EOSmith HS and most of the students were connected in some way with Uconn. My high school experience was one where failing academically was a social liability, which was very different from the experience of most of my friends when I got to college. I absolutely agree that a highly rated athlete has (generally) already exhibited the drive and determination required to succeed in just about anything. The difference is that at a great school like Stanford the rest of the student body will be closer to exhibiting that same drive and determination than at a very good state university like Uconn. I am talking percentages of students, not a blanket statement here. And therefore a higher percentage of the networking that happens at Stanford will be with other students that will succeed later in life.
I think Uconn is a really good school
I think anyone can get a really good education at any decent university - education depends more on the student than anything else.
I think being surrounded by other highly motivated people makes it easier to be highly motivated yourself
I think being surround by hard core partiers makes it easier to have a really good time! :)

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
-Thanks a lot for all the insight, guys. Although... kinda disturbing to realize now, even my pathetic HS social life could have been in deep, deep, deeper trouble had I attended EOSmith! :eek:

- Really liked this pithy takeaway:
I think being surrounded by other highly motivated people makes it easier to be highly motivated yourself
I think being surround by hard core partiers makes it easier to have a really good time! :)

-I’ve been really impressed, along that line, not only hearing the way UConn coaches organize team group study but particularly enjoyed hearing the students describe how this tight sisterhoods’ competitiveness is leveraged –competing within itself as 3-man teams for best grade point averages... great academic atmosphere.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Anybody notice the impressive resumes posted by accomplished 'Yarders during the course of this thread? Jeez, I would hire any or all of them and not ask for a Duke/Stamford diploma or even a formal interview.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Anybody notice the impressive resumes posted by accomplished 'Yarders during the course of this thread? Jeez, I would hire any or all of them and not ask for a Duke/Stamford diploma or even a formal interview.
Hey - come on, this is the internet and somewhat anonomous - do you really think we are honest in what we post about ourselves!!!?!!?
My tag has Miami in it, and it is true that I once almost made it the the US, and the rest of my background was written for me by my employer so when I talk to people from here in India they get the idea I am speaking from CT. :eek:
(But thanks for the job offer!)
By the way, am sure I should know, but your avitar - what does it represent? Assume military, but ... sorry for my ignorance.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Hey - come on, this is the internet and somewhat anonomous - do you really think we are honest in what we post about ourselves!!!?!!?
My tag has Miami in it, and it is true that I once almost made it the the US, and the rest of my background was written for me by my employer so when I talk to people from here in India they get the idea I am speaking from CT. :eek:
(But thanks for the job offer!)
By the way, am sure I should know, but your avitar - what does it represent? Assume military, but ... sorry for my ignorance.

My "resume":
Always a Soldier.jpg

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
My "resume"...

Considering a Master Parachutist’s selection doesn’t even begin until after those first 65 jumps, as the alpha dog leading all those sticks through low-level night mass tactical jumps, entirely loaded in weapons & full combat gear, - abruptly landing in the windy dark on whatever , seizing whoever, wherever somebody made the mistake of pissing you off… Your resume, Sir, will remain permanently where it has always been: in the top drawer, under “Leaders,” in the “Total Wildman” section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom