Mayonnaise on French Fries?? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Mayonnaise on French Fries??

Is Mayonnaise an acceptable dippy sauce for fries?

• Yes

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 84 51.9%
  • This is actually a thing???

Votes: 21 13.0%

• Total voters

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Good fries will stand alone with just a little salt, but its become harder and harder to find good fries, so you generally need to put something on them.

You bring to mind fond memories of the summer of 1974.

I bought $1.25 bleacher tickets at Fenway Park, and spent 90¢ for plain fries, to which I added pepper and a small hint of salt.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If this thread proves anything, it's that you can dip fries in anything

Usual suspects:
Ketchup
Mayo (not for me, Mayo is a rarity on anything)
Aioli (if you're a eurotrash wannabe, you probably watch soccer too)
Vinegar (though not really a dip. but still awesome)
Gravy / cheese (Poutine is a gift from the gods)
Disco (gift from the devil in comparison)

Weird:
Tartar Sauce (I'll allow this - you guys really haven't tried this with a seafood platter?)
Horsey Sauce (the only edible thing at Arby's - shout out to @August_West)
My favorite: Chili Sauce / Cocktail Sauce - it's basically spicy ketchup, and another "tried this when on plate for something else"
@temery nailed it with steak frites - if you dip those fries in anything, you're a monster

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Aioli (if you're a eurotrash wannabe, you probably watch soccer too)
Many of us graduated from UConn in the late 70s, when soccer was the only sport where we could win championships.

I doubt that fact alone led to all of us wanting aioli on fries or buying Kraftwerk cassettes, but by your tone, it would seem to me that at least one of us seduced your favorite girl and effortlessly stole her away simply by dressing stylishly and being erudite. Could've been Hans, could've been 8893, but regardless, you should learn to deal with that pain.

Reaction Score
Its just mayo and relish.... mostly mayo. Also it apparently fits the definition of aioli based on other posts.

So why single out tarter sauce? Its the condiment of choice for fish sticks. Does anyone disagree with the usage of tarter sauce on fish sticks? Probably very few. Furthermore a fish stick is basically a french fry where the potato is substituted with fish.

So in summary everyone agrees with the usage of tarter sauce on french fries assuming the potato is in fact fishy.

At least he didn't say you should be throat punched or hung.

Reaction Score
Before The Oyster Club in Mystic, the building held a take-out only? place called Pomme Frites. Fresh cut, double fried potatoes, I suppose in the Belgian style. They featured many dipping sauces and the best I thought was the chipotle aioli. It didn't last very long, and they were relatively expensive, but they were the best fries I had in the states.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Mayo has been my default even before going to Belgium, albeit it was a Belgian restaurant here in Pgh famous for it's moules and frites. Not just any mayo though. TJs non-organic mayo was best for fries, but they stopped selling that it appears. Hellmans just doesn't cut it. Obviously not Miracle Whip (puke). Current jam is Duke's, sometimes with a couple dollops of Peri-Peri sauce. Fwiw, a garlic aioli is even better.

Ketchup is for kids.
Glad you enjoy it, but if I was forced to eat French Fries dipped in mayonnaise, I would choke. You do realize that you are in a tiny minority? The reason a bottle of Ketchup is on every Diner or Cafe, Eatery, golf clubhouse, or small restaurant table is because of French fries. It’s also the reason McDonald’s, Burger King, Shake Shack, or any other fast food place always has ketchup packets for free.”

That being said, I lived in Europe back in the 1970’s and I must say mayo on fries over there is popular back then, but ketchup was also popular and was mixed with curry.

Reaction Score
Best fries I ever ate were the Pre-Hershey Friendly's crinkle cut shoestring sized fries. They were always served in a dessert bowl. Once Hershey got their mitts on Friendly's, they were abandoned in lieu of regular shoestrings.

Reaction Score
Best fries I ever ate were the Pre-Hershey Friendly's crinkle cut shoestring sized fries. They were always served in a dessert bowl. Once Hershey got their mitts on Friendly's, they were abandoned in lieu of regular shoestrings.

The Friendly's spicy spuds user to be very good, but I don't do Friendly's anymore

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Many of us graduated from UConn in the late 70s, when soccer was the only sport where we could win championships.

I doubt that fact alone led to all of us wanting aioli on fries or buying Kraftwerk cassettes, but by your tone, it would seem to me that at least one of us seduced your favorite girl and effortlessly stole her away simply by dressing stylishly and being erudite. Could've been Hans, could've been 8893, but regardless, you should learn to deal with that pain.
Never underestimate the wisdom soccer fans think they have when challenged. Sigh.

Guess I could have been more specific: “you pretend to be a fan of a team on another continent, with a 50% chance you’ve ever been there”

Cuts too close?

Reaction Score
No man, no. Ketchup. Maybe BBQ if there is no ketchup

I'm surprised this is the first mention of bbq sauce I've seen. Not all bbq sauce is good on fries but some is really good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you get the choice, choose the baked potato option.

Never order a baked potato. Just going to fill you up and it's a side dish. You're wasting your appetite on a side.

Roasted potatoes?? Sure. A full on baked tater? No thanks.

Reaction Score
The most important thing on fries is not what you put on them but the fry itself. Ultra crisp double fried fries. Salt. Heinz.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Never underestimate the wisdom soccer fans think they have when challenged. Sigh.

Guess I could have been more specific: “you pretend to be a fan of a team on another continent, with a 50% chance you’ve ever been there”

Cuts too close?
Nah. I watch the World Cup, but not much else soccer-wise. Don't follow any teams Actually, when I lived over there, I enjoyed the rugby matches on TV over soccer. Soccer is kinda like hockey for me. When it's good it's a great watch, when it's bad, it's torture.

But I was fully into Britpop in the mid-90s ;)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

dance party snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm a vinegar guy. Picked it up from my upstate NY folks.
I like Malt vinegar too. You know what else gets a lot of its flavor from vinegar, Ketchup and Mayonnaise. French fries need the acid. I think BBQ sauce and Buffalo sauce also work well on fries.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just ordered fries at the hotel bar. This is how they were served.

20240422_172742.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom