Mayonnaise on French Fries?? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mayonnaise on French Fries??

Is Mayonnaise an acceptable dippy sauce for fries?

• Yes

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 84 51.9%
  • This is actually a thing???

Votes: 21 13.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I believe in letting people choose their own condiments without judgement. Except for the guy who said tartar sauce. That guy is a freak.
Its just mayo and relish.... mostly mayo. Also it apparently fits the definition of aioli based on other posts.

So why single out tarter sauce? Its the condiment of choice for fish sticks. Does anyone disagree with the usage of tarter sauce on fish sticks? Probably very few. Furthermore a fish stick is basically a french fry where the potato is substituted with fish.

So in summary everyone agrees with the usage of tarter sauce on french fries assuming the potato is in fact fishy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
C'mon man, it's a Belgium / French thing. We're Americans, even if off the boat
Just remember, those salt of the earth, fully assimilated Americans also created this:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Its just mayo and relish.... mostly mayo. Also it apparently fits the definition of aioli based on other posts.

So why single out tarter sauce? Its the condiment of choice for fish sticks. Does anyone disagree with the usage of tarter sauce on fish sticks? Probably very few. Furthermore a fish stick is basically a french fry where the potato is substituted with fish.

So in summary everyone agrees with the usage of tarter sauce on french fries assuming the potato is in fact fish.
One has to like sweet pickles to agree with you. I love all sorts of pickles, but sweet and bread & b, utter pickles do not pass these lips. This is why, while I love the concept of a Chicago dog and even bought sport peppers to make them at home, I cannot have an authentic one as the flourescent green relish has got to go.

Reaction Score
One has to like sweet pickles to agree with you. I love all sorts of pickles, but sweet and bread & b, utter pickles do not pass these lips. This is why, while I love the concept of a Chicago dog and even bought sport peppers to make them at home, I cannot have an authentic one as the flourescent green relish has got to go.
What do you put on fish sticks? I dont think there's a rule that prevents you from making tarter sauce with another type of pickle relish

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Nope. Agreed. I kill dill, full sour, half sour etc…. Bread and butter? Worst thing on earth. It’s like someone actually said “ how can I really screw up a cucumber”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Fries are versatile as the Belgians have REPEATEDLY shown. They do well in gyros or even pair as a side to pizza. Lots of countries have their own sauces that go well with fries, I even tried chimichuri with fries.
You forgot to mention the Pittsburgh Salad
Screenshot 2024-04-20 15.27.07.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What do you put on fish sticks? I dont think there's a rule that prevents you from making tarter sauce with another type of pickle relish
I haven't eaten fish sticks since junior high. One of the many never-mentioned benefits of not having had kids.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I haven't eaten fish sticks since junior high. One of the many never-mentioned benefits of not having had kids.
I’ve avoided it with daughters 20 years apart in age. It ain’t hard.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's a distinction without a difference. Almost everything labeled aoli at restaurants and bars has egg and I'd wager quite a few of them use a cheaper oil than any type of olive oil.
I mean they taste totally different. I'll die on this hill. Other people basta**izing it doesn't change what it is. If everyone started calling tater tots French fries I wouldn't suddenly agree with them.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Just remember, those salt of the earth, fully assimilated Americans also created this:

I don't know what you're talking about with those salt of the earth or hotel pizza strawmen, totally irrelevant to my argument, which is "we put ketchup on french fries"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Somebody just watched Pulp Fiction.

Nah. Never watched that movie. Figure at this point, what's the point?

I'm overseas for work and at every restaurant, mayo is the default condiment for fries. Odd thing is they do their fries so good over here, all you really need is a light spinkling of sea salt and they're perfect.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I mean they taste totally different. I'll die on this hill. Other people basta**izing it doesn't change what it is. If everyone started calling tater tots French fries I wouldn't suddenly agree with them.

I get your point, and yes, an emulsified mixture of olive oil, garlic and some lemon will taste different than seasoned mayo. But, when you go out to a restaurant or a bar, you're almost assuredly not getting "real" aoli.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Try Tzatziki instead of tartar sauce with any lightly breaded fish and thank me later

Or some light sour cream with lemon and dill

I absolutely crush homemade tzatziki and it is great on crab cakes.

Reaction Score
I can’t dip my fries into anything, once I start eating them I don’t stop. I have to eat my fries before I eat anything else. Nothing tops Cajun fries btw.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom