Mayonnaise on French Fries?? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mayonnaise on French Fries??

Is Mayonnaise an acceptable dippy sauce for fries?

• Yes

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 84 51.9%
  • This is actually a thing???

Votes: 21 13.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Someone needs to settle this
instrument cartoon conspiracy GIF

Reaction Score
Someone needs to settle this
There's nothing to settle. Aioli isn't made with mayo. People might call it aioli if it's made with mayo, but that doesn't make it true. There's not supposed to be any egg in aioli.

Reaction Score
Doesn't mayo already have vinegar in it?
Yeah. Most commercial ones do. But that malt vinegar is special. People talk junk on the food in the u.k. but that's not the case anymore. I just came back from a 10 day trip and the food scene is Incredible.

Reaction Score
There's nothing to settle. Aioli isn't made with mayo. People might call it aioli if it's made with mayo, but that doesn't make it true. There's not supposed to be any egg in aioli.
You’re an aioli purist. From wiki- “Purists believe aioli should not include egg, but nowadays, egg or egg yolk is the usual emulsifier. Since about 1990, it has become common in the United States to call all flavored mayonnaises aioli.”

I’ve never had an aioli without egg yolk/mayo. I’d like to try it one day.

Reaction Score
My economics professor in college who was French introduced me to fries with mayo. Been addicted since.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You’re an aioli purist. From wiki- “Purists believe aioli should not include egg, but nowadays, egg or egg yolk is the usual emulsifier. Since about 1990, it has become common in the United States to call all flavored mayonnaises aioli.”

I’ve never had an aioli without egg yolk/mayo. I’d like to try it one day.

Yeah, it's a distinction without a difference. Almost everything labeled aoli at restaurants and bars has egg and I'd wager quite a few of them use a cheaper oil than any type of olive oil.

Reaction Score
I've never even accidentally mixed the two, and there have been hundreds of opportunities. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . now I'll have to.

Tell Me More Sheldon Cooper GIF by CBS

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I was at Max Downtown yesterday for happy hour and a guy next to me asked for a full tub of mayonnaise to dollop on his oysters.

I figured it was one of you sickos on here, but I didn’t say anything because I’m afraid of conversation with grown men who wear sandals in April.

Reaction Score

This is one of many issues about which I am a pedantic a s s but every time my wife says she made an aioli I remind her that technically she just mixed some crap with mayo. I’m sure she loves hearing it.

Reaction Score
Some Frank's red hot or Tabasco sauce sprinkled on fries is nice, then dunk them in ketchup. I like the ketchup/Mayo mix too, starred doing that in Colombia. I also put chili and/or melted cheese on fries. BBQ sauce works well too. Fries are versatile as the Belgians have REPEATEDLY shown. They do well in gyros or even pair as a side to pizza. Lots of countries have their own sauces that go well with fries, I even tried chimichuri with fries.

A great fry requires no sauce
Sprinkle it with some ground paprika and hell ya. I mean, tons of different spices and herbs can be sprinkled on prior to cooking, I've done curried fries even. Let's not forget sweet potato fries too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If it lands us the French kid I'm all for it.

Otherwise, mayo sucks.
I’d only eat it if landing the French kid was riding on it. And then I’d expect free season tickets for life hahaha.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm a vinegar guy. Picked it up from my upstate NY folks.
I will occasionally do this using malt vinegar, particularly with fish and chips. Picked it up in the UK.

Mayonnaise is just wrong. Not ranch dressing on pizza wrong, but still wrong.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was going to say that honey mustard is the worst condiment on Earth, but then someone mentioned tartar sauce on fries and I just vomited in my mouth.
Which is pretty much the same as eating tartar sauce on fries so…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom