Maybe Ratings Don't Matter | The Boneyard

Maybe Ratings Don't Matter

Reaction Score
I've heard from many media pundits that it's Colin Kaerpernack (sp?)... I've kind of thought they were grasping at straws for that.

Sounds like the ever increasing appetite for live sports is being countered by the ever decreasing attention span. In reality, you had to expect that at some point the bubble would burst. The actual game itself can't live up to the hype, drama, and sensationalism the media sells for every contest.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've heard from many media pundits that it's Colin Kaerpernack (sp?)... I've kind of thought they were grasping at straws for that.

Sounds like the ever increasing appetite for live sports is being countered by the ever decreasing attention span. In reality, you had to expect that at some point the bubble would burst. The actual game itself can't live up to the hype, drama, and sensationalism the media sells for every contest.

My gut tells me it is a lot of things coming together.
  • HDTV replacing the need to go live
  • The cost of going to live games is several hundred percent higher than it was 20 years ago.
  • Athlete salaries are no so high that the average person may resent them
  • Non-stop media means people are distracted when out to dinner, at the movies, and yes, watching sports
  • High profile athletes being jerks. Kapernick, Josh Brown, Ray Rice...lots of others
  • Oversaturation of sports on TV. The number of channels is staggering. I can watch like 12 college games at the same time on Saturday

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I would also add that family requirements are in there as well. As a kid growing up there was 1 sport per season. So unless your kid played every sport, you got occasional breaks from it. Now kids are playing year round, even if they only play 1 sport. Travels teams as well as town teams have added increased demands for time.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Truth is the NFL is just a weaker and weaker product each year.

Yes. A lot of my problem with the national games is I haven't been particularly interested in the product this year. Especially the Monday Night game.. they basically throw whatever clunker in there they want. In the past people have watched, but I think those days are gone.

Reaction Score
Parity and over saturation are hurting the NFL. There are too many games on tv, and there aren't nearly enough dominant teams. Rules changes also hurt the ability to have dominant players. It wasn't long ago 3,000 yards for a QB was a damn good season. We also cared about who won the rushing title. Now, horrible QBs routinely throw for 300 yards a game and 3200 yards per season.

Approach 5 NFL fans then ask them to name the winners of the last two rushing titles. Many may be able to make solid educated guesses, but I doubt few will really "know". Monday Night Football was an event on its own. Now, there is Sunday Night Football, and very crappy Thursday Night Football. Not special any more. I also think Fantasy Football is hurting younger fan bases.

I have often said sports are built on a combination of 3 pillars:
1) Transcendent Players (Ruth, Ali, Jordan, Brown, etc)
2) Dynasties (Yankees, Niners, Cowboys, Steelers, Celtics, etc.)
3) Rivalries.

Parity and rules/policy changes have pretty much eliminated or stunted all three. Over saturation has hurt our ability to care.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen the prime time game lineup for the NFL this year? It's like the matchups were selected by a blind man, atrocious team #1 matches up with garbage team #2.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I really enjoy the NFL and I watch the Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night games as well as RedZone on Sundays. However, if it wasn't for Fantasy Football I can tell you the Thursday night game would be a pass and many of the Monday night games this year would be as well.

I do feel like the Sunday Night games have been good this year for the most part. Plus, it's a good way to end a full day of watching football. I also like the NBC product and announcers while I can easily pass on the MNF crew.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I really enjoy the NFL and I watch the Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night games as well as RedZone on Sundays. However, if it wasn't for Fantasy Football I can tell you the Thursday night game would be a pass and many of the Monday night games this year would be as well.

I do feel like the Sunday Night games have been good this year for the most part. Plus, it's a good way to end a full day of watching football. I also like the NBC product and announcers while I can easily pass on the MNF crew.

I like McDonough on Monday night. I skip the Sunday night game a lot of times just because I've watched so much on Saturday and Sunday I need something else.

I didn't see a rating on Thursday for NFL net, but it must have been terrible. That game was putrid. I had bet Baltimore and still could barely watch parts of it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I like McDonough on Monday night. I skip the Sunday night game a lot of times just because I've watched so much on Saturday and Sunday I need something else.

I didn't see a rating on Thursday for NFL net, but it must have been terrible. That game was putrid. I had bet Baltimore and still could barely watch parts of it.
Try having three players on your fantasy team involved in that game....needless to say my team is putrid this year!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Younger folks would rather be out doing things than watching things. I do training for a living and work primarily with 20-30 year olds. The NBA has it right. They sell personalities and cultural icons that younger folks relate to.

I'm not a younger person, but I tuned out of the NFL back in 2009 after having been all in for decades - fantasy, going out to sports bars to watch, hosting SB parties, etc. It was actually more interesting when there was less coverage of it.

I'll watch once in a blue moon if I think the game will be worth it, like Pats-Steelers. I agree with the premise that it's now oversold with all the breathless douchenozzles doing pregame where 3/4ths of the players are superstars and every coach is a genius of some sort. Well, they're not.

There's an awful lot of great stuff one can do on a Sunday once you're untethered from the TV.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I had bet Baltimore and still could barely watch parts of it.

Meanie. Picking on the Browns, are ya? Yeah, I have too. The Niners are also a good contrarian play...even if they're spotting 2 TDs like this afternoon.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Football games have blasted through the 3-hour window and are now, for the most part (thanks to all of the scoring and subsequent commercial breaks), approaching 4 hours. That is WAY too long to dedicate towards entertainment when you have (ship) to do. MLB has gotten absolutely crushed in recent years over "pace of play" and they come in around the 3 hour mark, on average. NL games are usually less than 3 hours.

Football needs to figure out how to cut out the commercial breaks and replay review delays...there are just way too many of them. Example: after a team scores, we go to commercial for 3-5 mins. Come back, watch a kick off sail through the end zone for a touchback, then back to another 3-5 minute commercial break. That is just flat-out boring. And in college, where it seems like every catch and ball spots are reviewed these days, it's even longer (and more boring).

Hey, maybe this will drive people to watch more basketball! College games are 2 hours tops. If hoops became more of a TV ratings draw, we're in outstanding shape there. No way the NCAA can justify leaving a top 10 MBB program out of its "power" structure if basketball all of a sudden got a ratings boost.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom