Maya has season high 40 in loss to Sun | The Boneyard

Maya has season high 40 in loss to Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only 2 points in the first half, but 38 in the second for Maya Moore. Lindsay Whalen misses a bunny at the end of regulation that allows the game to go to OT. Courtney Williams has a coming out party with 15 for the sun, looking really quick and her shots having that dead on look. Chiney looking like she is coming back to form, getting 21 points and 7 rebounds and doing a lot more than just scoring and bounding, leading by example. All Sun players who took the floor, but one, Banham, scored. J.J. (Jonquel Jones) hit a key shot late and got 3 blocks. Morgan and Kelly looked respectable. Kelly hit a three. A very exciting game and maybe an important turning point for the Sun. Real team ball. A lot of fun.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
SMH......Maya is still getting it done. She continues to be an ambassador and a role model or UConn women's basketball and the WNBA. One of the best ever to play in the WNBA. Just simply a scoring machine.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was at the game -- definitely the best game of the season for the Sun. The trade last week (Kelsey Bone for Courtney Williams is looking like a winner so far.

Cheney Ogwumike had a big game and played many minutes, although she fouled out in overtime. She is a big-time rebounder that can replace that dimension, which was Bone's biggest asset.

For Minnesota, Maya was amazing in the second half, and Renee Montgomery played quite well also. Kelly Faris had the opportunity to guard Maya when she was in the game, and did as well as could be expected. Both she and Morgan got minutes that counted, whereas Anneika Henry and Shekinna Stricklen did not play at all (not sure if they were injured), and Rachel Banham played only in the first quarter (apart from a few seconds at the end of the game when she was in to make free throws if the Lynx chose to foul her).

The trade last week made the Sun even younger and less experienced -- they now have four rookie first-round draft choices on their 12-person roster. But they seem now to be playing with enthusiasm, commitment, and teamwork.

I think they could have a surprisingly good second half.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was there as well, and it was a very entertaining game. Someone was impersonating Maya in the first half, but she was absolutely unstoppable after the halftime break.

She made a steal with about fifteen seconds left in OT, Lynx down 2, and had it on the right side just past half court with about ten seconds to go, open court. Should have played it out, but coach called timeout and resulting play was a bust.

Great win for the Sun, Morgan Tuck did some good things but her shot was off. Seemed to be line driving them a bit, could use a little more air under them IMHO.

Reaction Score
I attended the game also. ...Thought the Sun played with a lot of energy and heart. Was impressed with Courtney Williams' performance and it was wonderful to see Chiney go 8-8 and Alex have a great game too! ...Go Sun!!!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Is it too soon to stick a fork in the Lynx? Losing to the lowly Sun? Yikes!

Reaction Score
A really fun game. It appears that the Sun are developing a positive chemistry and I think that will carry them through some tough spots, like last night. The rest of the season is something to look forward to.
And maybe we won't be the lowly Sun anymore.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
A few other random thoughts about the great game last night, which was my first in-person WNBA game:

Mohegan Sun Arena is a nice venue, intimate and close to the action. Seems like a good shooter's court as well, soft rims.

Kelly Faris looks like she could run for about a day and a half before getting tired.

Two words to describe the difference from WCBB - length and strength.

They must have a lot of Sun tshirts because they were tossing them into the stands at virtually every opportunity. Unfortunately their best throws reached row F and I was in row P.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya started 1-10, then caught fire. I like to see her get squared up on her shot.

Minny has lost some scoring punch and some defensive prowess. They gave up 42 points in the paint, and they have Sylvia and Rebekkah in the lineup. Ouch! The Lynx are good, but their margin for error is small. Other than Maya, the Lynx Olympians are not playing as well as they have in the past.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya started 1-10, then caught fire. I like to see her get squared up on her shot.

Minny has lost some scoring punch and some defensive prowess. They gave up 42 points in the paint, and they have Sylvia and Rebekkah in the lineup. Ouch! The Lynx are good, but their margin for error is small. Other than Maya, the Lynx Olympians are not playing as well as they have in the past.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Enjoyed the game last night. Very good and noisey crowd.

What impressed me was the young Sun talent taking it to the Lynx. Cheney, Courtney, Morgan, Kelly and others showed energy and a competitive fire was was absent last year. They had no fear and were very agressive. The Sun have a very good core of young talent to build around. I expect a couple more Sun players will not be on next years roster.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I always seem to be away for the "game of the yesr". Congrsts to the Sun. Every game recently you can see the improvement. Better movement, spacing and teamwork. Love it.

Thank heavens for League Pass.

Reaction Score
Maya & Team in response to recent shootings:

Cm9Okd3VYAAiqWy.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I see Milford is trying to build up his post count :cool:
I was having problems with my phone. I hit "Post" several times, but nothing appeared to happen after each one. Sorry to all! :(

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was having problems with my phone. I hit "Post" several times, but nothing appeared to happen after each one. Sorry to all! :(

Iphone or Samsung ? Surely it wasnt an HTC :cool:

Reaction Score
Maya & Team in response to recent shootings:

Cm9Okd3VYAAiqWy.jpg
Security guards - off-duty MN policemen - working the Lynx game left the game because of these shirts and will decline to work more Lynx games. MN police chief supports them and predicts no officers will work Lynx games if the team continues supporting this cause...

Minneapolis police leave Lynx game over shirts

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Security guards - off-duty MN policemen - working the Lynx game left the game because of these shirts and will decline to work more Lynx games. MN police chief supports them and predicts no officers will work Lynx games if the team continues supporting this cause...

I guess the security guards didnt see the Dallas Police Badge on the back...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

the divide continues

Reaction Score
A few other random thoughts about my first in-person WNBA game:

Two words to describe the difference from WCBB - length and strength.
[Note: The bolded quote was slightly altered.]

Yes, length and strength. A noticeable difference. Pretty much exactly what came to our(a group of three Boneyarders who have pretty much attended every one of Maya's games played at the Verizon Center since her rookie season) respective minds when seeing the Mystics-Lynx game back in August 2011. Maya's physical dominance was considerably neutralized.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes, so it gives the head of the police union a lot of options when choosing which one to jump in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom