Matthews | The Boneyard

Matthews

Reaction Score
Akinjo decomitted but is there any word on Matthews still coming? Does Wilson leave as well?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Don’t think Wilson would want to sit out again. Hope the kid stays I love him!! He’s got GAME

That's what I'm thinking, same for Gilbert

But if they change the rules, who knows

Reaction Score
Matthews was more of a Chills guy than an Ollie guy. He also really wanted to leave the state of WA. I'd imagine he's in a wait and see situation, whereas Akinjo committed for Ollie so that ship has sailed.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Matthews was more of a Chills guy than an Ollie guy. He also really wanted to leave the state of WA. I'd imagine he's in a wait and see situation, whereas Akinjo committed for Ollie so that ship has sailed.

New coach could retain assistant coaches so Kisunas and Mathews are in wait and see mode til the dust clears

Reaction Score
A few weeks ago there was a story about how Akinjo and Matthews talk regularly. They said they were excited and committed to UConn and gave the impression they would go to UConn regardless of the coach. Now that Akinjo has decommited that leaves me a little concerned, but it is what it is.

It’s In My Mind to Go to UConn’

Of course, Matthews and Akinjo also see and hear a lot of things. They see that UConn is about to miss out on the NCAA tournament for the third time in four years and could be heading for a second straight sub-.500 season. They hear all the other rumors associated with the program lately.

None of it seems to faze their dedication to UConn. Look no further than how both players refer to the program as “we.”

“We have a lot of transfers, it’s kind of hard to work with a lot of transfers,” Matthews said. “Next year, we’ll have a clean start, almost a reset of the culture, and get back to being a powerhouse.”

Added Akinjo: “We’ve got some really good players. Sid (Wilson) is coming back, Alterique (Gilbert), we’ve got good freshmen coming in. I think I can come in and help them right away. Not try to come in and be anyone else, just do what I do.”

Adversity is nothing new for Akinjo, who hails from the hardscrabble streets of Oakland.

“A lot of people are counting UConn out already,” he said. “My whole life I’ve been counted out.”

Akinjo noted that no one gave him and his Oakland Soldiers AAU team much of a shot at the Peach Jam this summer. Akinjo wound up leading the Soldiers to the tournament title while earning MVP honors.

“It’s kind of the same situation with UConn.”

Make no mistake, Matthews and Akinjo are aware of the NCAA’s inquiry into the program.

“We talked about the investigation,” said Alwert. “We’ve been told that nothing’s gonna happen on that. (Matthews) is a kid that’s faithful and loyal to the decision he makes.”

And the players also hear the rumors that Ollie’s job could be in jeopardy.

“I try not to think about that,” said Matthews. “It’s in my mind to go to UConn. If it does happen, it does happen, and that’s something my family would have to look at. But I love UConn, no matter who the coach is. Kevin Ollie is a legendary coach. I don’t even think about that. I don’t think I need to think about that at this time.”

Akinjo largely echoed those sentiments.

“I don’t think he will (get fired). I think the A.D. (David Benedict) and Coach Ollie have a really good relationship. When you have a tough year, everyone wants to count you out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the hurdles with a coaching change... Regarding the NCAA vote on permitting transfers to play immediately, it is highly doubtful that would go into affect for the 2018/2019 academic year if passed; more likely would be effective for 2019/2020 academic year. I am of the mindset that when removing the head coach , unless youn plan on hiring someone from the current staff as the replacement, no one on the currennt staff should be retained unless the incoming guy is 200% committed to someone they want to retain. Especially if the program needs a culture change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom