Matchup Means More to Women's Basketball. | The Boneyard

Matchup Means More to Women's Basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie said the matchup means more to women's basketball as a whole than it does to her team. Link: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/no-2-duke-ready-for-visit-from-no-1-uconn/13221764/

Is the attitude expressed by Coach McCallie the reason why Duke is unable to play a competitive game against UConn?

Sure Geno has said a game in December doesn't mean anything, but when he says it, I don't believe him. He wants to win every game his team plays, but is Okay if the team loses while still playing the game to his expectation. To Geno every game is Important. For the UConn players this game was important and in a way it was a Statement that said "We are UConn, Come Beat Us if you Can".

While Coach McCallie's attitude seems to be, lets see how we stack up against UConn and if we lose we then know what we have to work on. For the Duke coaching staff and the seniors this game should have been handled as if it was a Final Four game. They had the opportunity to make a statement to the rest of Women's Basketball that this year Duke is where its supposed to be "On Top of the Mountain, Now Come After Us" Instead they are perceived like the rest of the Duke teams in recent history, "Perennials Underachievers". There has to be some self doubt in the Duke players this morning that says, we can't beat UConn, we're not good enough. I'm not sure Coach McCallie can turn that self doubt around unless they run away with the ACC title.

Reaction Score
You may be right about Duke's approach to the game. When the players are talking about 'focusing on us' before a big game it points to what you are saying I think. Geno also downplayed the game a little but difference being it was post game :) I believe he said it was only December and it was a chance for both teams to see where they were and it will give both teams the opportunity to see what they have to work on. They will get better and so will we.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the point she was making pre-game is that 1 v 2 match-ups and other high seed v high seed games during the regular season are good for WCBB in creating buzz and attention. As all coaches say, a win or loss in a December OOC is not that important in terms of what happens in Feb and March.
I think we read a little too much into these statements, and the 'focus on what we do' is a coaching mantra and one Geno uses frequently.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There has to be some self doubt in the Duke players this morning that says, we can't beat UConn, we're not good enough. I'm not sure Coach McCallie can turn that self doubt around unless they run away with the ACC title.
I imagine it will only be tougher for Duke to beat UCONN if they meet again later this year. Especially knowing UCONN was integrating 2 players who haven't played in a while. And knowing UCONN usually peaks in March/April. That's gotta lay really heavy on their minds.

Reaction Score
Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie said the matchup means more to women's basketball as a whole than it does to her team. Link: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/no-2-duke-ready-for-visit-from-no-1-uconn/13221764/

Is the attitude expressed by Coach McCallie the reason why Duke is unable to play a competitive game against UConn?

Sure Geno has said a game in December doesn't mean anything, but when he says it, I don't believe him. He wants to win every game his team plays, but is Okay if the team loses while still playing the game to his expectation. To Geno every game is Important. For the UConn players this game was important and in a way it was a Statement that said "We are UConn, Come Beat Us if you Can".

While Coach McCallie's attitude seems to be, lets see how we stack up against UConn and if we lose we then know what we have to work on. For the Duke coaching staff and the seniors this game should have been handled as if it was a Final Four game. They had the opportunity to make a statement to the rest of Women's Basketball that this year Duke is where its supposed to be "On Top of the Mountain, Now Come After Us" Instead they are perceived like the rest of the Duke teams in recent history, "Perennials Underachievers". There has to be some self doubt in the Duke players this morning that says, we can't beat UConn, we're not good enough. I'm not sure Coach McCallie can turn that self doubt around unless they run away with the ACC title.
The attitude of let's see how we stack up against UConn and now knowing what they have to work on can be valuable for the players and can be motivating rather than demoralizing. The year RU went to the championship game, we lost to Duke by 40 points at the RAC in December. The team learned from that game, improved and beat Duke in Greensboro to advance to the Elight Eight.
While I don't think Duke can improve enough to beat UConn this year, anything is possible. It certainly isn't time for Duke to give up their title quest. It's a long season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom