Massey Ratings | The Boneyard

Massey Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
we can skip the season, now. looks like UConn's already won it all again, right?

Perhaps...and yet the most interesting statistic is the overall rating is a giant leap ahead of everyone else.

Screenshot_2016-10-09-13-19-24-1_0.png

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Those ratings are the final from last year. That's why UConn is first and there is a huge gap. Also why Oregon State and Syracuse are so high. And why there are offensive and defensive efficiency stats despite no games having been played yet.

CBear01

Reaction Score
Those ratings are the final from last year. That's why UConn is first and there is a huge gap. Also why Oregon State and Syracuse are so high. And why there are offensive and defensive efficiency stats despite no games having been played yet.

This is massey thru last year, we also had a large gap between 1 and 2:
Screenshot_2016-10-09-14-17-43-1_0.png

You can see how the previous post I made, the pre-season massey rankings for this year, are different. What I posted IS NOT the final from last year

Reaction Score
Partypooper. Can't I enjoy my dream for even a little while?
And it seemed so true and real????
Bags said it best----Forget the season, anoint UC the NC--(or word with the same ring to them)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

In other words, pick up where we left off in April. This makes more sense than making projections that are heavily reliant on how incoming freshmen might perform. Adjustments to these early rankings may be made weekly from November through April based on how teams actually perform.

CBear01

Reaction Score
Bags said it best----Forget the season, anoint UC the NC--(or word with the same ring to them)

I believe the NCAA is curently looking into changing the traditional NC rings to TOE RINGS this season :p haha

CBear01

Reaction Score
In other words, pick up where we left off in April. This makes more sense than making projections that are heavily reliant on how incoming freshmen might perform. Adjustments to these early rankings may be made weekly from November through April based on how teams actually perform.

Those ratings are not the final from last year. You can view the final from last season above. Notice all the statistical differences. What the initial poster of this thread provided us are the PRE SEASON massey reports. Quite different than last year.

Perhaps some just don't believe that with the graduation of the holy trinity that UCONN can still be that good.

One word for those guys: GENO

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This is massey thru last year, we also had a large gap between 1 and 2:

You can see how the previous post I made, the pre-season massey rankings for this year, are different. What I posted IS NOT the final from last year

OK, then I stand corrected, but I don't what to make of a rating system with efficiencies and rankings when no games have been played. They look mostly similar to last year's final numbers. Is Oregon State supposed to be the 2nd best defensive team without Hamblin and Weisner? What are they basing these numbers on?

Reaction Score
I believe the NCAA is curently looking into changing the traditional NC rings to TOE RINGS this season :p haha
Ears, nose and Toe' s ring have to be considered--where will all this end/////????

Reaction Score
Computer-based preseason ratings are about as meaningful as preseason polls. This is from a page on the Massey site (emphasis added):
Preseason ratings are typically derived as a weighted average of previous years' final ratings. As the current season progresses, their effect gets damped out completely. The only purpose preseason ratings serve is to provide a reasonable starting point for the computer. Mathematically, they guarantee a unique solution to the equations early in the season when not enough data is available yet.
So it's pretty clear why UConn would be #1 and by a wide margin.

CBear01

Reaction Score
OK, then I stand corrected, but I don't what to make of a rating system with efficiencies and rankings when no games have been played. They look mostly similar to last year's final numbers. Is Oregon State supposed to be the 2nd best defensive team without Hamblin and Weisner? What are they basing these numbers on?

No worries at all, just didn't want it to be a buzz kill for everyone :cool:

I don't rely on Massey that much, and I think as a consensus group not many boneyarders do either. Some of us get caught up in rankings, I believe what you see on the court is what you get. Go huskies!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Can we please?

The truth is all of these programs have been playing for 2nd place for many years. Now let's see how some of them deal with prosperity. I think most of them are going to find the reality of getting everyone's "A" game each and every night is daunting and draining. It's going to be fun watching most of them fall flat on their faces.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Too late. Geno already has one on his. The new commercial may have a parental warning.

Reaction Score
No worries at all, just didn't want it to be a buzz kill for everyone :cool:

I don't rely on Massey that much, and I think as a consensus group not many boneyarders do either. Some of us get caught up in rankings, I believe what you see on the court is what you get. Go huskies!

I agree that preseason polls are unreliable but I have been pleasantly surprised by the Massey Ratings once the season is underway for at least 10 games or so. What has made them not work for you?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Computer-based preseason ratings are about as meaningful as preseason polls. This is from a page on the Massey site (emphasis added):

So it's pretty clear why UConn would be #1 and by a wide margin.

That explanation makes sense Raoul, thanks. Weighted average, so a guesstimate based on the previous season which included many different players.

Reaction Score
I would be interested to know how many #1 ranked opponents UCONN beats this season. That might be a good poll question for those of you that know how to do that. :)

CBear01

Reaction Score
I agree that preseason polls are unreliable but I have been pleasantly surprised by the Massey Ratings once the season is underway for at least 10 games or so. What has made them not work for you?

I think, for me, the rating systems might as well just be a good idea of where a team is currently. The AP and coaches polls are generally opinionated (graneed very educated and well assessed opinions) but give us a decent idea of the caliber of a team. UCONN has been leagues above everyone for some time now, so it is no surprise the Massey Ratings are as mentioned with the Huskies well ahead of the pack. Massey, however, is a computer based statistical analysis and that's how those ratings seem to be put together.

It's not that they don't work for me, I just stopped obsessing over the rankings a long time ago after being so frustrated that one member of the AP refused to vote for UCONN! I took a big step back after that. I think it does still say something about our huskies that even after we lose probably the best 3 women to ever play together in college, we are still on top (and it feels good to see that!)

I think what I liked about this current Massey rating is that it still has the Huskies in another league, even if just based on the statistics. However, these rankings don't consider the emotional side of basketball and as far as I'm concerned it's anyones game out there! I'm one of those believers in this current squad being very, very, very good even after the graduation of the big 3. I do believe, despite rankings or wins or losses this season, they do have the best chance at a national championship. All the pieces are there. And to steal a fitting line, WE HAVE GENO AND YOU DONT
=D

Reaction Score
Those ratings are not the final from last year. You can view the final from last season above. Notice all the statistical differences. What the initial poster of this thread provided us are the PRE SEASON massey reports. Quite different than last year.

Like Sagarin, Massey's preseason rankings are a weighted average of the last few years. Not sure of the exact formula, but they make no attempt at all to measure how good they think a team will be this year. If UConn, in addition to the seniors who did graduate, had also lost every other player and had brought in no recruits, forcing them to go with a team of walk-ons this year, their ranking right now would still be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom