Marvelous Maya [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Marvelous Maya [merged thread]

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We need a bigger, better adjective for Maya

1229CA1E-F6DC-40FD-95E5-E1A9182794F9.jpeg

Reaction Score
Arguments are made, but there has never been a more complete UConn player than Maya Moore. She is top ten in every statistical category, there is no one else that has done that. Scoring #1 (3,036), three-pointers #4 (311), rebounds #2 (1,276), assists #10 (544), steals #4 (310), and blocks #9 (204). Beyond her stats, Maya was the definition of "passing the eye test". Watching her play was witnessing a combination of grace, beauty and power in motion. What a joy to have experienced watching her play the game!

Reaction Score
I can't imagine anyone creating an all time starting 5 team without Maya in it, both in college and professional level. She is the epitome of an absolute winner. If not for retirement, Maya would of won at least 2 more chips..

Reaction Score
Arguments are made, but there has never been a more complete UConn player than Maya Moore. She is top ten in every statistical category, there is no one else that has done that. Scoring #1 (3,036), three-pointers #4 (311), rebounds #2 (1,276), assists #10 (544), steals #4 (310), and blocks #9 (204). Beyond her stats, Maya was the definition of "passing the eye test". Watching her play was witnessing a combination of grace, beauty and power in motion. What a joy to have experienced watching her play the game!
Makes you wonder what Geno was thinking for those few games her Freshman year when she didn't start! He even says, she NEVER hit a wall or was in a slump, just great from day one to her last game. I just wish she had at least one more NCAA and WNBA chip!

Reaction Score
Amen! A joy to watch, especially her patented finger rolls! She was a female George "Iceman" Gervin!

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score

View attachment 97004
Nan, you are absolutely correct. This young woman, ball player, ambassador, human being etc etc. There is not an adjective in the dictionary to do her justice.
Just loved her on the court and didn't see the potential be SO big off the court.

Reaction Score

View attachment 97004

Maya’s the reason I not only started following UConn, but Women’s Basketball in general. I remember it like it was Yesterday watching her in the McDonald’s All-American game on ESPN. I still watch her highlights from that game every now and then.

Reaction Score
One of my best memories was attending a Big East early round tournament game at the XL center when you could sit anywhere you wanted because of the light attendance. The person 1 or 2 seats to the right of me looked incredibly like Maya Moore. So I asked her about it. It turned out to be Maya's mother, who could have passed for Maya's older sister. We chit-chatted a little bit, but I didn't want to bug her. After a while Maya came by to sit a few minutes with her mother and I got to chit-chat with her a little bit. It was a good day.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Moore's 11th now, thanks to your avatar. ;)

She's also top 10 in A/TO ratio. Moore and GWilliams the only "non-guards" on that list.

Reaction Score
Maya's highlights as a FRESHMAN. No one else had the repertoire that she had.

Just wow! And, it's amazing what a great passing team that was. So many of those highlights start with a teammate delivering a perfect pass and Maya finishing. Just spectacular body control.

Reaction Score
Unlike a male player that thrives on being called King James, I think Maya is way to humble to accept Queen Maya. Maya Moore for anyone that follows the women's game would know who is being mentioned by just Maya or Moore her nouns are fine with this admirer.
We could use MAM (a acronym noun) with some British type of respect with her middle name being April. ;)
Makes you wonder what Geno was thinking for those few games her Freshman year when she didn't start!
LOL, first start 21points,10 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals. Geno must have been protecting a former starters feelings. :D

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just wow! And, it's amazing what a great passing team that was. So many of those highlights start with a teammate delivering a perfect pass and Maya finishing. Just spectacular body control.
Geno likes versatile players that can pass. It may be a requirement, passing ability, and it doesn’t matter if it’s guards or forwards

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Unlike a male player that thrives on being called King James, I think Maya is way to humble to accept Queen Maya. Maya Moore for anyone that follows the women's game would know who is being mentioned by just Maya or Moore her nouns are fine with this admirer.
We could use MAM (a acronym noun) with some British type of respect with her middle name being April. ;)

LOL, first start 21points,10 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals. Geno must have been protecting a former starters feelings. :D

When Maya dominated the Chinese League, winning multiple championships, she was known as the Invincible Queen.

Reaction Score
I was struck by something Shea Ralph told an interviewer in Nashville a few months back:

"I don't think I've ever seen a player with as much God given ability as Maya Moore."
UConn has had great athletes, and UConn has had great talent. Maya is one of the very few who had the maximum amounts of both athleticism and talent. An eye-popping combination.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom