Marquette | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marquette

Reaction Score
What could he really do though? I guess he could've tried to speed up NC State more but they play slowly and don't turn it over. Tell his guys to stop taking wide open shots and stop throwing the ball into the crowd for no reason? They're not a bang it down low team and Oso stinks now.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we learn some Marquette players were on the take that game. It was that confounding a performance by some of their players and we're going to have scandals with the proliferation and constant promotion of sports gambling everywhere.
Along the lines of Jontay Porter for example?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
He got hurt against Providence in the Big East Tourney. He hasn’t missed a game since, but he clearly hasn’t been himself either.
You sure? He scored a season low 4 points in 42 minutes the day before against Villanova

Reaction Score
Nerves? They didn’t look right, but even so they managed to get enough good looks that if they hit an average amount of their open threes then they probably run away with it. If they shot just 25% then they win. Bizarre

I love Stevie Mitchell as a defender but he HAS to get better offensively this summer. He looked terrified most of the time he had the ball

I like Oso but admittedly his game is very predictable. He does the same thing every single possession

The other 3 starters not mentioned shot 4-24 from deep. Not enough to win

Sucks to see. Sweet 16 is something to be proud of, but bounced against an 11 seed is not

Reaction Score
Oso had hands of stone last night, couldn't catch anything. I was embarassed for Marquette. They're a much better team than they showed.

Reaction Score
What could he really do though? I guess he could've tried to speed up NC State more but they play slowly and don't turn it over. Tell his guys to stop taking wide open shots and stop throwing the ball into the crowd for no reason? They're not a bang it down low team and Oso stinks now.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we learn some Marquette players were on the take that game. It was that confounding a performance by some of their players and we're going to have scandals with the proliferation and constant promotion of sports gambling everywhere.
Just stop. Marquette players weren’t on the take. That is a disgusting take. That is insulting to both teams. They got beat by a team that played very well, played physical defense which Marquette hates. Late in the game, did you watch how many times they cut off Kolek trying to drive down the lane? How many times they hit key shots with the shot clock about to expire? How often they double teamed a man, but scrambled to get back and keep the open guy from taking an uncontested shot? NC State played as hard as I’ve seen a team not wearing National Flag Blue and White play in this tournament. On top of that, Marquette played dumb defense. Double teaming bigs at the 3-point line, leaving Diara free so they can double team the guards. Just awful.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Shaka did himself or the team no favors with his coaching last night.

Marquette is streaky at shooting 3's and doesn't have a single must guard shooter. NC St started off daring Marquette to make shots and when those shots weren't falling, Smart had no Plan B.

Complete dud of a coaching performance by Smart.

The moment was bigger than Shaka.

Reaction Score
Just stop. Marquette players weren’t on the take. That is a disgusting take. That is insulting to both teams. They got beat by a team that played very well, played physical defense which Marquette hates. Late in the game, did you watch how many times they cut off Kolek trying to drive down the lane? How many times they hit key shots with the shot clock about to expire? How often they double teamed a man, but scrambled to get back and keep the open guy from taking an uncontested shot? NC State played as hard as I’ve seen a team not wearing National Flag Blue and White play in this tournament. On top of that, Marquette played dumb defense. Double teaming bigs at the 3-point line, leaving Diara free so they can double team the guards. Just awful.
At least a couple MU players looked like they were shaving points. Either that or hungover.

Dribbling the ball off their shins or failing to catch it cleanly. Drifting through long portions of the game, jogging up and down the court. Passing up wide open looks, then chucking up contested fallaways.

All that try-hard stuff you credit to NC State--that's nice, good for them--but they still suck. A fully engaged Marquette team should have won by double digits.

I feel bad for Shaka. He would have been better off benching a few of those guys after 5 minutes and using practice players who wanted to be there. Probably hoping his guys would snap out of it, but they never did.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There was a stretch, beginning with about eight minutes left in the game last night where on numerous possessions (I counted ten) a Marquette player had the ball, open inside the arc, where he could have gotten a clean six to ten foot shot but instead passed to a teammate who was outside of three point range, often covered, forcing them to swing the ball around and put up a wild three (that missed). If they shot the two and made 40%, they would have been eiother tied or one basket down from bout three minutes left until about one minute left.

Reaction Score
Kolek in the tunnel post-game, looking completely disgusted and probably headed straight to the transfer portal before even a shower. He had to know something was up with those guys. I doubt he will want to share a court with them again.

How many times did he drive into the lane, get doubled, and no teammates made a move to give him a passing lane?

Reaction Score
Kolek in the tunnel post-game, looking completely disgusted and probably headed straight to the transfer portal before even a shower. He had to know something was up with those guys. I doubt he will want to share a court with them again.

How many times did he drive into the lane, get doubled, and no teammates made a move to give him a passing lane?
Feel badly for the guy, it kind of looked like some of his teammates were intentionally throwing the game.

Reaction Score
They missed a ton of wide open 3s idk how that is Shakas fault

Maybe they should not have been taking a ton of threes. 4 of 31 from three and 16 of 29 from two. No adjustments after halftime. Someone above in the thread said Shaka had no Plan B. Poor free throw shooting is not under his control, but offensive game planning is.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Cold night shooting can happen to anyone.
Really tough when it happens to everyone on the team in its biggest game since any of them have been there.

Reaction Score
There was a stretch, beginning with about eight minutes left in the game last night where on numerous possessions (I counted ten) a Marquette player had the ball, open inside the arc, where he could have gotten a clean six to ten foot shot but instead passed to a teammate who was outside of three point range, often covered, forcing them to swing the ball around and put up a wild three (that missed). If they shot the two and made 40%, they would have been eiother tied or one basket down from bout three minutes left until about one minute left.
I agree. They forgot one of the basic rules of comebacks. Get points. They tried to make up an 8 point deficit on one shot. I think you could even say they panicked. That isn’t vaguely the same as they threw the game. John is such a NOOB fanboy he can’t accept that NC State just played better under pressure.

To me accusing a team of throwing a game with zero evidence is a despicable thing to say. No lower seed has ever out hustled and out played a lower one. Jeez.

Reaction Score
Shaka did himself or the team no favors with his coaching last night.

Marquette is streaky at shooting 3's and doesn't have a single must guard shooter. NC St started off daring Marquette to make shots and when those shots weren't falling, Smart had no Plan B.

Complete dud of a coaching performance by Smart.

The moment was bigger than Shaka.
But they still have Culture.

Reaction Score
I agree. They forgot one of the basic rules of comebacks. Get points. They tried to make up an 8 point deficit on one shot. I think you could even say they panicked. That isn’t vaguely the same as they threw the game. John is such a NOOB fanboy he can’t accept that NC State just played better under pressure.

To me accusing a team of throwing a game with zero evidence is a despicable thing to say. No lower seed has ever out hustled and out played a lower one. Jeez.

Not accusing the team. Just some of their players. They brought it on themselves.

Yeah, maybe the rebound that bounced comically off Oso's head and went OB could be attributed to a hangover and not point shaving. Fair enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom