Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
UConn got a tough win.

Azzi was sublime. Christy Winters said it best “Get the ball to Fudd and get out of the way.” She decided in the fourth quarter that UConn wasn’t going to lose and so they didn’t. It was that simple. She was the missing piece as UConn has struggled in the 4th frame this year. That 8-0 run by herself looked easy and kudos to her team for feeding the best.

Dorka was a gamechanger on both sides of the ball. She isn’t scared to shoot or drive or whatever was needed. Keep her hands up on D and her and Azzi played who can make more threes.

Evina brought a strong spark off the bench. She was shifty and probed on O and D. Christyn did her best with what she was given. Nika played some good D down the stretch. Aaliyah really tried, but the yips continue.

Moving forward, screening, boxing out, and protecting the ball are so crucial. All in all, Marquette had a good strategy glad UConn sneaked away from this game with a win. All is well again

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the defense turned around in the 4th when Dorka finally hedged hard and high protecting Azzi from some of those rough screens they were setting. I was afraid she was going to get a hip injury on some of them

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This game gave me heart palpitations.

I took some notes in the first half:

-Yeah, Aaliyah can be a worry…Is it one game on, on game off?
notice in the big run who wasn't in...
when she is good she is very, very, good....and when.......

-When E comes in, the offense looks better.
And she was one of the keys to the 4th quarter run

-D is absolutely not as good as against DePaul; too many open shots in the lane
but it sure was fine in the 4th. The difference.

-So many missed layups…everybody knows that

-Why play two bigs, if no one is inside?

How many points is it worth when teams sense (know) that UConn is not the behemoth that they usually have to face?

The D clamped down in the 4th, Azzi and Doka did their thing and no one missed layups...I had almost forgotten what a patterned UConn run looks like.

Reaction Score
The thing that I found most fascinating about this game is the fact that, as short-handed as the Huskies were, it was Marquette, not UConn, that looked gassed in the fourth quarter. UConn's traditional emphasis on great conditioning pays off yet again!

Reaction Score
The game turned around when they stopped their normal holding the ball around the foul line and just gave the ball to Azzi ( she actually brought the ball up a few times) and told her, drive to the basket and do your thing...what thing it was!.

Reaction Score
Box score is wrong. They gave a 3 to Nika (assisted by Azzi) when it was the other way around. She had 24.
Yes, here shows Azzi with 24 pts.

Reaction Score
When Geno goes over the film of this game with the team, I hope he calls attention of the screens they set. I’m not certain they were all legit, but they freed each other up a lot. Once we set better screens we can really become scary. Especially freeing Azzi up.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UConn got a tough win.

Azzi was sublime. Christy Winters said it best “Get the ball to Fudd and get out of the way.” She decided in the fourth quarter that UConn wasn’t going to lose and so they didn’t. It was that simple. She was the missing piece as UConn has struggled in the 4th frame this year. That 8-0 run by herself looked easy and kudos to her team for feeding the best.

Dorka was a gamechanger on both sides of the ball. She isn’t scared to shoot or drive or whatever was needed. Keep her hands up on D and her and Azzi played who can make more threes.

Evina brought a strong spark off the bench. She was shifty and probed on O and D. Christyn did her best with what she was given. Nika played some good D down the stretch. Aaliyah really tried, but the yips continue.

Moving forward, screening, boxing out, and protecting the ball are so crucial. All in all, Marquette had a good strategy glad UConn sneaked away from this game with a win. All is well again
Have say it again, love your moniker.

Reaction Score
Again, a great game by everyone! Fudd and Dorka obviously, but Evina had great defense and points too, Nika played solid again, Christyn again was defensive force and scored points, Aaliyah didn't play as much as others had the hot hand, but boy did they turn it on in the 4th!

JordyG

Reaction Score
When Geno goes over the film of this game with the team, I hope he calls attention of the screens they set. I’m not certain they were all legit, but they freed each other up a lot. Once we set better screens we can really become scary. Especially freeing Azzi up.
That really applies from the end of the 3rd quarter to the final buzzer. Before that UConn's screens were Charles Barkley terrible.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes, here shows Azzi with 24 pts.

Dont mess with my Azzi. Got to get the stats right when she wins 3 pt % awards

Reaction Score
When the season is over and IF we get healthy this could be Genos greatest coaching job of any coach ever. It is truly unbelievable what UConn has gone through this season.
It must be tempting for Geno to start Evina while severely shorthanded. But he recognizes that her energy & calming influence off the bench are so valuable. And she seems to enjoy the role. LOL...plus she plays most of the game once she gets on the floor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just an image for now:

2021_11_7FortHaysTigersUConnWBB142.0.jpeg

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think the defense turned around in the 4th when Dorka finally hedged hard and high protecting Azzi from some of those rough screens they were setting. I was afraid she was going to get a hip injury on some of them
Agreed. They must have watch my chat posts because I was complaining about their poor high screens all game. I also complained that UConn's were rolling like logs to the hoop off those screens. Azzi needs to quickly see your chest numbers on those rolls or the defense will never respect the pass.

Reaction Score
When the season is over and IF we get healthy this could be Genos greatest coaching job of any coach ever. It is truly unbelievable what UConn has gone through this season.
I have been thinking that same thing for the past week or two... Coach of the Year... based on what has happened to the Team over this Season.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • With a BIG “grind it out” win at Marquette today, UConn has navigated the toughest part of their schedule, facing all the top tier BE teams along with TN over the past few weeks. With very little time off, while dealing with multiple injuries to key players, the Huskies will be a stronger team for it in March.
  • Marquette really worked to clog the lane, doing everything they could to keep UConn’s Bigs from taking over as they did vs DePaul. UConn stayed in the game in the first half only by hitting 50% from the arc on 6/12 shooting.
  • In the 2nd half Azzi took over on offense, with some help from her friends. Dorka, Christyn, Nika and Evina turned up the heat on D and UConn pulled away in the 4th qtr.
  • Once again, UConn appears to be plagued by missed layups. Some were tough shots with the off hand. Some were bunnies. But they were all shots you have to make in a tight game.
  • UConn now has the relative luxury of 5 days off to heal up and work through some things, finishing up the regular season with 5 straight home games. How the Huskies pull together all the pieces over the next few weeks will go a long way towards determining if there is a storybook ending for UConn WBB this season .
Another on target post. The Shots that Azzi Fudd had today have been open to her for the past 3 games. Side or middle sliding into the basket would get her foul shots or scores. However, her shot was ON more today than the last game.T hose that think Fudd is a robot and should score 30 each game, don't know this breed. The best of the best have off nights. But as NAN pointed out, she plays very good defense and passes well and fills the scoring void with excellent play. Caroline, Fudd, great freshmen --and I'm proud of them and this TEAM that won when the odds were against them, Thank you GENO..
Layups count 2, three point shot get you 1 more. I won't bemoan their layup shooting, they made them when they needed to. I agree it would be nice if they slowed down a bit and hit those 2's ---but 3 or 2, give me the 3. (when they are hittin)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom