Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Clingan was getting fouled the entire game while Oso was allowed to push off for his scores.
I don’t know that Oso pushed off that much, he was just allowed to lower his shoulder and displace the defender. I’m fine with some leeway there and didn’t have an issue with most of the non-calls but there was one specifically where he dropped his shoulder into Clingan and sent him staggering back a few steps. Truly mind boggling that one wasn’t called. Clear offensive foul.

Reaction Score
Stewart’s shot wasn’t falling, but I liked his energy. I’ll take a second unit of Stewart and Karaban at the 4/5 over a lineup with Samson Johnson any day. Samson was fun in November, but he is lost out there now.
I like Slamson but hes still making the same mistakes he was making in November. Like dude do you not yet know how to set a pick without fouling? Seriously?!!!

Reaction Score
Thank you!!!! I didnt mention it in my previous post because i didnt want to get flamed for whining about the refs but it was ridiculous!!! He got at least 3 times that were clear as day!!! I was yelling at my tv "thats a foul!!! thats a F%@%% foul!!!!"
They were pretty terrible all around. How do you have to go to the monitor to see if that Clingan shot hit the rim? It was incredibly obvious in real time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some poor handling of the trap and bad decisions. Good: stuff for Dan to work on ahead if the tournament. Main key was Alex waking up, realizing an imposter had been suiting up for him and stuffing that guy in a dumpster. For tournament time, that’s the key. Cam in tournament time, I can scarcely imagine how he will not simply explode. Guy would probably rip your arms off playing Jax.

Psyched for at PC.

Reaction Score
anybody else see the resemblance of #12 on Marquette and this Muppet?

Attachments

• OIP (27).jpeg
    OIP (27).jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 23
Reaction Score
Went to the clock killing offensive slow down with 3:55 remaining which didn’t go well. The team seems to struggle doing this. I wish they would keep running the offensive sets and look for the open/best shot instead.
Agree; however, Marquette’s trapping defense at the end gave them problems

Reaction Score
On the last few minute offense.

We kept running good stuff and didn't go into pure prevent until there was 1:30 left up 7 with the ball, an appropriate moment. Cam Spencer missed a completely wide open 3 with 2:00 left that was a result of good offense taking advantage of them being over aggressive on the ball.

Marquette had 4 fouls with 1:20 left. I think it's very likely that Hurley told guys to be strong with the ball and to expect them to foul, because they had to give 2 fouls to get us to the bonus. Diarra gave a bad turnover away in a bit of a scramble, and then the refs just refused to call them for obvious reach-in fouls in obvious intentional foul moments. I don't blame Newton for going into a shell and letting himself get doubled on that one he turned it over. Down 5 with 40 sec left and the offense in 1 and 1 every team in the world is fouling.

Reaction Score
Hey Guy,

Those ugly animals over at Providence probably can't wait to put the hurt on the boys on Saturday night. The Huskies'last game against the Friars was definitely the ugliest of the year. And honestly, are there two uglier looking players in America than Carter & Oduro? My memory of that last game was of the Friars rolling around on the court trying to take people out, like it was a violent rugby match.

So this Marquette game today was just a typical Big East two-way beat-down. Glad we won. 27-3 is definitely the Good Times, but......

Wait til Saturday! Ha! Hope we can avoid injuries!

Father Demo

PS: Can't wait for the tournaments!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I thought the reffing for a change was pretty bad. Another Brian O'Connell special. Newton was getting mauled and then ticky tak fouls on him. The fouls not called against him especially at the end of the game were atrocious. Then the out of bounds call which was clearly too close to call went against Clingan after a freakin elongated further review that was so long that the teams had to re-huddle so Marquette could get a free timeout on top of it. BTW, didn't Castle's free throws at the end make Uconn cover the spread?

Reaction Score
There were stretches where both offenses were unstoppable especially at the start of the second half. It was beautiful and horrifying to watch.

Reaction Score
Does Samson Johnson ever get a rebound or block anymore? Early in the year he had some big performances on both sides of the court it seemed. But not lately.
Unless my memory fails me

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I really like how Hurley used this game (outside of the last 4 minutes).

-Ballsy not calling a TO on Marquette's early run. Basically saying "Alright fellas, this is on you to figure out". And they responded, dare I say, in a championship manner.
-Went out of his way to get JStew more minutes. I think this is very wise in the grand scheme of things. JStew rebounded and defended (that block!), as we know the golden ticket to PT.
-Whenever we needed anything at a specific moment, Karaban was there. Just an incredible winning basketball player.
-this game would not have been close if we didnt biff it so bad at the rim. I counted 14 points left at the rim on missed layups, bad hands (SJ was brutal), and an unkind rim on a couple of Castles misses.
-Rough offensive game for Castle, but his Defense is a sight to behold...just complete velcro. His first foul that came with 3 seconds on the shot clock pissed me off hard. That was the first of unreal bailouts by the refs on back to back defensive possessions. What a stud putting those two FTs down to close this thing.

Overall good enough effort. A game we should have put 90 in easy with the missed layups and the four completely wide open looks at 3 in the last seven minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom