Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I believe that was pretty much an A game. The team could have shot it a little better from 3 but both our offense and defense played at a very elite level. No one in the country could have beaten us yesterday. Some here think to play our A game we can't miss a shot or let the other team score. Considering this was an in-conference game against the #4 team in the country I don't know if we could have played any better.

To quote another poster, @Kitaman:

Castle and AK combined 3 baskets in blowing out the number 4 team in the Nation.
This stat alone confirms this was not our A game. How scary is that?

Jokingly aside, Andrew Hurley did not get playing time in a 28 point blowout. Apostolos did not hit a 3. This could not have been our A game. Close? Yes.

Reaction Score
G League Ignite has been a failure in general and doesn’t actually develop good habits for those guys. They just spend the season losing. I’m happy to NBA is getting rid of it because it doesn’t help those guys. The sport is for sure going to be pretty hype next year with Flagg at Duke. It’ll bring a lot of attention back to college basketball. Rutgers may be an interesting watch as well.

College Basketball needs Diaper Dandies to be a thing again if it wants to get any relevance back. Casuals tune in and media companies promote it because they want to see the future stars of tomorrow.

As far as our talent, I t’s definitely our style of play that adds into it as well that makes us so dominant. Clingan is pretty much a cheat code out there for Hurley’s defense. We haven’t heard any complaining about how there’s layup lines to the rim since he’s been back. He has a case for being our most talented big ever.

Cam might be our best transfer pick up ever to go with it.
People forget that Newton came to us from the portal.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
People forget that Newton came to us from the portal.
Personally, Cam > Newton but it’s close and don’t mind people seeing it the other way too.

Cam might have a 50 40 90 season though. Unreal consistency and efficiency.

Reaction Score
Agree on the parity. With the new transfer rules, great players that were part of deep benches, can now transfer for more playing time elsewhere. The very top teams get a little weaker and the next tier gets stronger.

No number one seeds got past the sweet sixteen last year.
It makes the top teams stronger. We have the best backcourt in the country because of two 5th year player transfers in Newton and Cam.

Reaction Score
I believe that was pretty much an A game. The team could have shot it a little better from 3 but both our offense and defense played at a very elite level. No one in the country could have beaten us yesterday. Some here think to play our A game we can't miss a shot or let the other team score. Considering this was an in-conference game against the #4 team in the country I don't know if we could have played any better.
This was not our "A" game, that the problem ! We had two of our best players have an awful shooting game. That is scary !!

Reaction Score
Personally, Cam > Newton but it’s close and don’t mind people seeing it the other way too.

Newtons Law led us to Championship, Cam, not yet.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Table with 5 columns and 20 rows.
NameTitle/PositionTotal Compensation 2023Salary and Wages 2023Other Compensation 2023
1Daniel HurleyHead coach, men's basketball$5,218,990$5,218,990$0
2Geno AuriemmaHead coach, women's basketball$3,218,407$3,218,407
3James L. MoraHead coach, football$1,705,936$1,705,936
4Hao FengAssociate professor of dermatology; Director of laser surgery and cosmetic dermatology$1,681,959$1,681,959
5Isaac MossChair, dept. of orthopedic surgery; Prof. of orthopedic surgery; Co-dir., Comprehensive Spine Center; Dir., UConn spine surgery fellowship$1,571,246$1,571,246
6Maritza I. PerezProfessor of dermatology$1,246,865$1,246,865
7Hardeep SinghAssistant professor of orthopedic surgery$1,055,204$1,055,204
8Chittoor Sai SudhakarFormer professor & chief, division of cardiothoracic surgery$1,005,272$1,005,272
9Ketan BulsaraProf. & chief, division of neurosurgery; Program dir., neurosurgery residency; Dir., operating room quality$961,938$961,938
10Hilary OnyiukeProf. of surgery and orthopedic surgery, Co-dir., Comprehensive Spine Center$947,292$944,367$2,925
11David P. BenedictDirector of athletics$914,379$914,379$0

Reaction Score
This isn't even close to accurate. Hurley makes $5.35 million per year plus addition performance based money.

Article is from this month. Looks like they used last year's numbers. Ironically, it actually states this in my post.

Reaction Score
“The only matchup of the day between top-five opponents wound up being one of the biggest snoozers of the weekend. No. 1 UConn stuffed No. 4 Marquette in a locker and threw away the keys early in what amounted to a 40-minute celebration for Huskies fans. UConn won 81-53, which marked the largest margin of victory ever in a top-five conference matchup since the beginning of the AP Top 25 poll (which, by the way, celebrated its 75th anniversary earlier this year). Woof. It wasn't even a bad loss for Marquette. It was just an old-fashioned butt whooping from UConn. There is no doubt about where the best team in college basketball resides: it is in Storrs, Connecticut. -- Kyle Boone”

Funny because Kyle Boone was the only one of the five CBS Sports analysts that picked Marquette to win the game.

Reaction Score

Rare even in NBA history.

A 50-40-90 season has only been achieved 14 times by nine different NBA players. Those players are Larry Bird (x2), Mark Price, Reggie Miller, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash (x4), Stephen Curry, Malcolm Brogdon, Kyrie Irving, and most recently Kevin Durant, who did it both last season and in 2012-13.Nov 28, 2023

Reaction Score
Clingans dunk and camera point is iconic. Its up there with Donyells dunk and shout. Could someone please clip that.

IMG_3587.gif

IMG_3577.gif

Reaction Score
Agree on the parity. With the new transfer rules, great players that were part of deep benches, can now transfer for more playing time elsewhere. The very top teams get a little weaker and the next tier gets stronger.

No number one seeds got past the sweet sixteen last year.
I also think we are seeing the impact of multiple transfers. This team has 3 starters and the first 2 key subs who played together last year, including a 5th year senior point guard. So there is a lot of continuity there. And I heard someone talking about the transition from high school to college saying for most guys now, with you are playing against 23-24 year old men you are going to be overmatched unless You are extremely elite.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Why are Gillespie, Kolek, and Cam hated and or arse holes?

I get it with some of the Duke guys because they're Duke guys.

I can definitely see Cam pissing fans of other teams off because he never backs down/trash talks and he's so good but that also describes Andre Jackson and I never heard our fans calling him our arse hole and a balloon knot.
I think I can answer about Gillespie. Everything thing about his game was very good to excellent. What really bothered me was the passes he got on offensive fouls driving his shoulders ridiculously hard into opponents on backdowns. I eventually came to get over this because the guy was just taking what the refs gave him. He wasn't even like the dirty tricks guy (? forgot his name, tripped people etc.) on Duke. I now look back on Gillespie as not only a very good player but a smart one. As far as Cam trash talking as long as he is able to back it up what the heck. I prefer the cold-blooded assassin type of player (like Castle) but they do what they have to do to win.

Reaction Score
Diarra changed the game completely. When he came in and castle went out that's when we went on the run. His high energy D threw Marquette off their offensive game. Kolek had a hard time shaking Diarra who is just a pest. Then Sampson who doesn't have the clingan size but is a much more athletic made their center go away from his game.
Couldn’t agree more.

Reaction Score

Table with 5 columns and 20 rows.
NameTitle/PositionTotal Compensation 2023Salary and Wages 2023Other Compensation 2023
1Daniel HurleyHead coach, men's basketball$5,218,990$5,218,990$0
2Geno AuriemmaHead coach, women's basketball$3,218,407$3,218,407
3James L. MoraHead coach, football$1,705,936$1,705,936
4Hao FengAssociate professor of dermatology; Director of laser surgery and cosmetic dermatology$1,681,959$1,681,959
5Isaac MossChair, dept. of orthopedic surgery; Prof. of orthopedic surgery; Co-dir., Comprehensive Spine Center; Dir., UConn spine surgery fellowship$1,571,246$1,571,246
6Maritza I. PerezProfessor of dermatology$1,246,865$1,246,865
7Hardeep SinghAssistant professor of orthopedic surgery$1,055,204$1,055,204
8Chittoor Sai SudhakarFormer professor & chief, division of cardiothoracic surgery$1,005,272$1,005,272
9Ketan BulsaraProf. & chief, division of neurosurgery; Program dir., neurosurgery residency; Dir., operating room quality$961,938$961,938
10Hilary OnyiukeProf. of surgery and orthopedic surgery, Co-dir., Comprehensive Spine Center$947,292$944,367$2,925
11David P. BenedictDirector of athletics$914,379$914,379$0
Big fan of those skin doctors.

Bet they could get a better record coaching football than Mora

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I can't believe in 2024 that anyone can seriously be aggrieved by his past. Sure it makes all of us here happy to continue to see him here given the incredible job he's done but I think we all want to see him continue to grow and succeed and that's such a lame cop out for ADs to get up and arms about stuff that happened so long ago involving a substance that is now mostly legal.
If he's as good and important as I think he is, DH and the Administration should be doing all they can to reward him. I think his influence on DH has been immeasurable. After that funk in mid-season last year he (DH) had a complete change into a much calmer, confident and flexible coach. They (along with the other two assistants) have blended into a unified and complimentary group that seems devoted to excellence and unselfishness and we see this down to the last player on the team. I can't prove a lot of this is attributable to Kimani; I just sense it. It is fascinating to watch them game after game, week after week. Whenever someone is struggling the others reach out and help them. They are all on the same page. You want it to never end!

Reaction Score
I think I can answer about Gillespie. Everything thing about his game was very good to excellent. What really bothered me was the passes he got on offensive fouls driving his shoulders ridiculously hard into opponents on backdowns. I eventually came to get over this because the guy was just taking what the refs gave him. He wasn't even like the dirty tricks guy (? forgot his name, tripped people etc.) on Duke. I now look back on Gillespie as not only a very good player but a smart one. As far as Cam trash talking as long as he is able to back it up what the heck. I prefer the cold-blooded assassin type of player (like Castle) but they do what they have to do to win.
That's just how Nova plays every year, they all back you down. Brunson was national player of the year by using his shoulders backing dudes down and using a million pump fakes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It makes the top teams stronger. We have the best backcourt in the country because of two 5th year player transfers in Newton and Cam.
It made us stronger. I think it has hurt a lot of other teams. Kansas got Dickinson and yet lost 4 other guys, so they have no depth. Creighton is really missing Nembhard. Small school guys stepping up, like Newton or Kolek help. Major program guys leaving don’t help.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
That's just how Nova plays every year, they all back you down. Brunson was national player of the year by using his shoulders backing dudes down and using a million pump fakes.
I understand what the technique of backing down is. But slamming your shoulder into a defensive player is an offensive foul when anyone else does it. He was the only player I saw who could consistently get away with that. But like I said, he was smart to take advantage of what they were giving him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom