Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What's up with one thread for after game discussion?

It's so the board doesn't turn into a chat room immediately after a game. A dozen two word threads saying someone sucks ads nothing to the board. And the same dozen or so people carpet bombs the board after a loss with their sky is falling crap, making it difficult to clean up.

And there always ends up being threads saying the same thing because people don't scan the board before posting.

There are 655 replies to this thread. If just 10% were threads, a visitor would have to wade through three page of threads just to see what was posted in one day. The site already average 50 threads and 1300 replies a day. That's more than enough for the moderators to keep track of.

Threads started immediately after a game are not deleted or merged if they promote discussion, and there are often multiple threads going at the same time as post game threads.

'Bottom line: Very little thought goes into adrenaline fueled threads. Post Game threads put it all in one place to to read, or ignore.

Post game threads are meant to be locked after a 1/2 hour or so. Sometimes I fall asleep, or I'm too high to remember.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve only been reading for the most part, enjoying some pretty damn good basketball the past few weeks. We lose a tight game to a fellow 3 or 4 seed, and according to many of you, we suddenly suck. Hawkins was God Thursday and with one bad night gets trashed because he didn’t deliver some sore f’in losers fans the Big East Championships they “deserve”. Cooley was right about us when he basically called the UConn fanbase a bunch of spoiled brats. Say what you will about the guy, but he’s right - this thread says it all - no appreciation for winning - just a bunch of whining brats that didn’t get everything on their Xmas list.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Two complaints- 1) If you’ve got a team that’s notoriously bad in end of game situations, why don’t you take the TO to get things organized? 2) What was going on with all the miscommunication on perimeter defense? Ton of wide open corner threes when one guy was caught trying to cover two shooters.
If I were to guess it would be that he didn’t want to give market a chance to set up its defense, and he decided to let his best player have the last shot. The only problem is that he is the best player and then ice cold fall game and Newton was slow bringing the ball up.

Reaction Score
I’m definitely blaming Hurley for the loss, precisely because Clingan only got 10 minutes. It was quite evident to me how Clingan changed the dynamics of the game in UConn’s favor when he was in there.
So shooting 9/15 from the charity line wasn't the issue? What about 28% from the 3 point line?

Reaction Score
Great game. If we played them 10 times we would win 8 of them. Not tonight though.

Big time note to Coach Hurley:
More Clingan
AK - Shoot the ball

So what, the Hawk didn’t fly. One more AK shot or King Kong minute would have meant a W.

I’m behind the team 100% for the dance.

Well upon review maybe 7x out of 10.
Now we need to win the next 7.

Reaction Score
My two cents.. Marquette took away two of our weapons.. Jackson--15 minutes of PT.. And Hawk.. Prosper was in his grill all night.. I thought our help D(esp. Adama) was weak tonite--partially due to Jackson being on the bench. Shaka had them attacking the rim all night because he knew they would convert or get fouled.. Newton's guys were turning the corner on him knowing there would be no help D. Didn't see defensive connectivity/talking as I would have liked..Finger-pointing.

Two plays on D really got me going.. The Cam Jones desperation three at the top of the key with shot clock running out.. Thought our guys could have "crowded" him more without fouling..Can't give the best three point shooter in the BE any space. And the putback bucket from five feet with Newton and Sanogo not offering any resistance.. Neither left their feet or put up their hands..Hurley takes a TO and gets into Sanogo's face saying.."What was that?"

Despite the above.. We were in the game..I'll take those open threes from Joey in his spots all day.. They didn't go down and Hawk could not shake Prosper..You live and die with those shots.. TO by DH to set up play? Debatable.

Still predict a deep March run for our guys.. A lot can be learned from this game for the Tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After every loss the pendulum swings so far to one side it is wild! Played a top 10 team without Jackson practically, and couldn’t hit good looks down the stretch. The play drawn up for Joey under a min was the look we wanted. Newton missed sanogo on last possession. It happens. These are kids. Hurley is a really good coach. Some of you on here are really cringy.

Reaction Score
Hurley got out-coached tonight. Makes a smart move to go to the zone but then stays in it too long- once Kolek, Joplin, & Ighuodara get 4 fouls around the 7 minute mark there was zero reason to play zone- wound up leaving guys for wide open threes. The other item- Alleyne should’ve been on the court for the last couple of minutes- better defender than Joey C & once he missed the first wide open 3- easy decision. Joey C. Missed three wide open treys in the last two minutes. Tough gritty win by Marquette- Smart continues to be a brilliant in game coach- Hurley hopefully improves in this area.
All this and Marquette was only able to win by 2. Shaka didn’t out coach Hurley. Marquette isn’t better than UConn. You know what happened? Their star player showed up tonight. Ours did not. It happens. Better this week than next. Ajax was a complete no show. Without his energy, the team was flat. Especially defensively. Hawkins was forcing things and not allowing game to come to him. For those reasons only is why we lost by 2.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Hawkins had made the last shot to win the game would Marquette fans be trashing their coach and team for losing?
No. They won Big East regular season when they were predicted to go 9th and lost a close one to the BET, and final four, favorites

Reaction Score
This place is brutal. We’ll forget about this thread when we start our run next week as a 3 seed.

Reaction Score
On defense when he’s near the rim, Clingan leaving the ball carrier to stick with his man in the paint instead of helping out on defense. He should be standing his ground and keeping his hands up at the rim. Gave up 3 or 4 baskets because of this.

Reaction Score
First season didn’t work out as well as it could. 1-4 vs MQ and XA did us in. But we did qualify for the Dance. See if the second season works out for us. Making it to the second weekend should be our goal.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sanogo had 18 and 11. However, I wouldn't have been opposed to playing both of them when I'm the zone.
He was -11 and horrendous in defense. But I agree, I’d put them both in for the zone or play Clingan a lot longer. They had their studs on the bench with 4 fouls

Reaction Score
We had two open threes from a 44% 3pt shooter. What’s a better shot than that?
Hurley incapable of winning close one, had 48 sec timeout, no production, Newton at end 9 sec in front of bench no timeout?? WTF! Think he reminded them of 1 more TO available and actually could have called it himself! Blunder, will hurt us in Tourney! Bring Steve Pikiel back to coach!

Reaction Score
I was fine with no timeout. And should’ve passed to Adama

I think that this is the clearest explanation for not calling the timeout. Newton just didn't see him. The decision to not call a timeout gives this board all the material it needs until tomorrow night, when many of you will be able to move on to predicting a first round upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom