Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Meltdown Thread

Orc

Reaction Score
This team is built for tournament play. The rigorous monotonous conference play isn’t our strong suit. We play better vs teams that haven’t seen us, we’re streaky, we need the motivation of tournament play.
Sureee

Reaction Score
I’ve been beating this drum since our first loss, so someone please check tape and show me I’m wrong. Xavier sometimes ran two man screens.
  • Hurley has long said he hates giving up 3s. He’s shown it here and it goes back to URI. Coaches know it and exploit it.
  • in each of our losses (and some close wins) the opponent runs their guards and wings around screens, not to get shots, but because we always chase over the screen to prevent the 3. Never go under to cut off penetration. Don’t switch either.
  • Since the rim protector, except Clingan, is charged with being out on the screener, we have an attacking guard/wing with a trailing defender and no post presence. This is why the D looks better with Clingan.
  • People think Jackson, Newton, Alleyne and Hawkins suddenly can’t defend? They are being rubbed out on screens and our team defense has a gaping hole. They aren’t being beaten one on one. Nor is Sanogo supposed to cover the paint when he’s outside.
  • We went zone to stop it, but the right answer is to leave the 5 in drop and either come under screens or switch. I had hoped with these big guards we could switch because nothing eliminates a screen game more effectively. But Hurley isn’t doing it.
  • It’s a blueprint to beat UConn until we adjust. So much of our offense comes from defense that it’s hurting us on both ends.
This. Want to make sure everyone here sees it because it is spot on. More importantly, I hope Hurley sees it.

Reaction Score
So many of both of their shots were TOUGH shots.
I agree however when you are playing bad defense tough shots become a lot easier after you’ve seen little to no resistance for much of the game

Reaction Score
I don’t believe it’s been mentioned yet here, but we committed at least three shot clock violations tonight. Not due to Marquette’s defense. Clearly because no one is demanding the ball. Court awareness out the window with guys bumping into their teammates. Lack of communication. No leader. No alpha. No one ready to make a Boatright stink face.

And AJ the leader is always giving it to someone with 3 seconds left. The fact he gave it to Diarra at all (went oobs) was really quite dumb. This is coaching as well as players by the way happens way too often to this team.

Reaction Score
Want to keep this about the game but did you miss the Charlotte news from a few months ago - like 6 traffic citations for 125 in 50 mph zone, gun, dui etc. Chief cares more about his life than his rookie contract money, which may be evaporating at a record rate with his live in posse. As he plays in the G League with prospects for a second contract dimming. It takes longer to built a strong foundation but it would have likely paid off long term. What about the last two years has been good for James?
It was time to let the Bouknight thing go months ago chief. It’s obvious the guy needs to figure things out. One more year in college wasn’t going to change that. He was a 1st rounder and got paid. The more he messes up, ironically, the more your take looks worse and worse - it’s obvious taking the money while he could rather than imploding in college was the right decision.

Time to leave Bouknight alone and go back to wrongly banging this double bigs drum

Reaction Score
This. Want to make sure everyone here sees it because it is spot on. More importantly, I hope Hurley sees it.
I’ve been beating this drum since our first loss, so someone please check tape and show me I’m wrong. Xavier sometimes ran two man screens.
  • Hurley has long said he hates giving up 3s. He’s shown it here and it goes back to URI. Coaches know it and exploit it.
  • in each of our losses (and some close wins) the opponent runs their guards and wings around screens, not to get shots, but because we always chase over the screen to prevent the 3. Never go under to cut off penetration. Don’t switch either.
  • Since the rim protector, except Clingan, is charged with being out on the screener, we have an attacking guard/wing with a trailing defender and no post presence. This is why the D looks better with Clingan.
  • People think Jackson, Newton, Alleyne and Hawkins suddenly can’t defend? They are being rubbed out on screens and our team defense has a gaping hole. They aren’t being beaten one on one. Nor is Sanogo supposed to cover the paint when he’s outside.
  • We went zone to stop it, but the right answer is to leave the 5 in drop and either come under screens or switch. I had hoped with these big guards we could switch because nothing eliminates a screen game more effectively. But Hurley isn’t doing it.
  • It’s a blueprint to beat UConn until we adjust. So much of our offense comes from defense that it’s hurting us on both ends.

The last 3 points are spot on. But I don’t think in-game adjustments/coaching is Dan’s strong suit. It is almost as if he approaches a game with scripted plan based on scouting reports but never adjust. Zone is not my 1st choice, but We are freaking long and athletic, why not switch in defense?

On offense, why not play hot hands when and as you spot it? Why not mix it up and occasionally play 2 bigs especially when we desperately need boards and rim protection?

Hopefully as the season progresses, Dan can address these as they are glaring holes in his coaching repertoire.

Reaction Score
The last 3 points are spot on. But I don’t think in-game adjustments/coaching is Dan’s strong suit. It is almost as if he approaches a game with scripted plan based on scouting reports but never adjust. Zone is not my 1st choice, but We are freaking long and athletic, why not switch in defense?

On offense, why not play hot hands when and as you spot it? Why not mix it up and occasionally play 2 bigs especially when we desperately need boards and rim protection?

Hopefully as the season progresses, Dan can address these as they are glaring holes in his coaching repertoire.

Did he play the hot hand last night? Did he play the hot hand last night? Did he go into the game planning to play DC for 21 minutes and AS for only 19?

You can add Danny to a long list of coaches who don’t like zones, starting with Jim Calhoun. But to wheel this criticism out at this point is odd since he did show a zone last night, something which half this board criticized him for, wanting him to stick with man.

I’m not a Hurley fan, but fair is fair. The idea that he can plug to bigs into the lineup, flip a switch and make it work is just far fetched - especially these 2 bigs, neither of whom has even a 10’ jump shot and both of whom operate in the low post. His lan to go with the veteran whom OTHER coaches voted BE POY pre-season and bring the rookie along slowly made perfect coming into the season. He was playing AS 2/3 of the time, DC 1/3, and we were dominating teams down low. But now the fans of the 2 bigs lineup want this adjustment on the fly when one of these guys would have to learn a whole new skill set. I want to see how that works. Did it ever occur to anyone that each of these guys looks so dominant at times precisely because he is the only big in the lineup?

Reaction Score
I agree however when you are playing bad defense tough shots become a lot easier after you’ve seen little to no resistance for much of the game
Yeah, tough shots become easier when you can walk into the lane before starting your move

Let’s credit Marquette on their use of the backboard last night. Was it luck or skill? Who knows but it was a masterclass on shooting in the paint

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Adama was in drop coverage for much of the game, too. He's just not tall enough or long enough to do it very well against teams that can finish (and Marquette is one of the best finishing teams in the country). They were finishing over him consistently.
Early yes, but then he stopped and did the thing @superjohn calls "no man's land". Sticks to screener but doesn't high hedge. Honestly, if we are going to go over screens, then we need the big to cut the ball handler off and stop that penetration. The guard is going to have to defend the screener in P&R. That's what we've run for two years. This year it changed, I think because Donovan can't play it. But this half-way D they run when Adama is in isn't working. I don't think he went from + defender to slug. Either play him just like Clingan or have him cut off the ball handler. The challenge for the guards is that their defensive role changes based on who is playing center. Honestly think that's at the heart of all of the dysfunction on defense right now.

PWS

Reaction Score
nope they don’t even guard AJ and he wasn’t good at all tonight either. Nor was our 1st rounder Hawk.
I will concede that AJ thinks he’s lousy finishing at the rim (& he probably is), but how would we know as he doesn’t try to do it. For a large percentage of the game AJ had the ball in his hands covered by a smaller guard, one 6’2” & one 5’10” He had numerous opportunities to go right to the basket one-on-one & didn’t even try. He’s an incredibly athletic 6’6”, just go straight to the basket on these guys. Even if he’s a lousy finisher, He’s bound to get fouled 3 out of 4 times & might even get Marquette to respect him more & at least guard Him. That could even open up his passing even more. There was one sequence where he is alone one on one outside at the top of the key With 3 seconds on the shot clock. He bobs & weaves in place, goes between his legs, not moving one inch into scoring position - no chance for success. Go to the basket & fling it at the rim.

I wonder if when he’s playing a pickup game in the field house guarded by Andrew Hurley if he just looks to pass from the perimeter every time. Teams aren’t guarding him & are slapping the double team on Sanogo earlier without fear. He tried it once in the second half & scored an easy layup. The Marquette players didn’t move to stop him bc they were shocked he’d try it.

Reaction Score
Did he play the hot hand last night? Did he play the hot hand last night? Did he go into the game planning to play DC for 21 minutes and AS for only 19?

You can add Danny to a long list of coaches who don’t like zones, starting with Jim Calhoun. But to wheel this criticism out at this point is odd since he did show a zone last night, something which half this board criticized him for, wanting him to stick with man.

I’m not a Hurley fan, but fair is fair. The idea that he can plug to bigs into the lineup, flip a switch and make it work is just far fetched - especially these 2 bigs, neither of whom has even a 10’ jump shot and both of whom operate in the low post. His lan to go with the veteran whom OTHER coaches voted BE POY pre-season and bring the rookie along slowly made perfect coming into the season. He was playing AS 2/3 of the time, DC 1/3, and we were dominating teams down low. But now the fans of the 2 bigs lineup want this adjustment on the fly when one of these guys would have to learn a whole new skill set. I want to see how that works. Did it ever occur to anyone that each of these guys looks so dominant at times precisely because he is the only big in the lineup?

Yeah let's give him that he played a zone. But my question is and will be, especially when nothing else is working at all on D, why not play a 2-1-2 in which you can play BOTH of your more impactful players at the same time? I mean there's a lot not working, this is worth a try and it's crazy at least not to. Crazy thing is on the offensive end Sanogo did get it going after a bad start in the 2nd half but he was terrible on D. Why not let him stay and bring in DC and try to get them on the back of the zone, see what happens and know you have 2 good scoring options on the other end. I mean everyone was awful guarding their guy, they made a ton of close 2s, they won't with those 2 in the same area. Not saying it will work but it's malpractice not to try, it really is.

Reaction Score
Gotta ride the hot hand game to game. Clingan was on fire today and shoulda had his 30 minutes.
Clingan is nowhere close to ready for 30 minutes. He was clearly the best player on the court but he needs those quick breaks so that he continues to look that way

Reaction Score
For a little perspective- look at all the recent close games played by Purdue, Kansas, Houston etc. some of those games were at home against weaker teams (although they all eeked out victories). Point being that every team has flaws and no one has been especially dominant. I agree that the guard play has been a glaring weakness, especially during our losing streak, and that we need to find a way to work around the limitations that our guards have. Realistically we are not going to have a player that consistently breaks down the defender, Adama is not gonna look good trying to power through double teams and AJ is not going to start taking smaller defenders to the hole and dunking on them. I don’t know what the solution is to this, but hopefully we can come up with a way to fight through our deficiencies. I feel a little more concerned about our defense- is it just me or did our defense seem much better last season (replacing Whaley with Karaban)?
Ultimately there is no dominant team this year, and this team’s fate will depend on how we can tweak things to deal with our issues.

Reaction Score
Donovan blocked a good number of their close in shots that they likely would have made. The defense by our guards was really bad. Mq went by us all game. On the made basket by Mq before halftime it was like no one cared on defense.
Playing both bigs has one concern for me as Sanogo has very little chest to the basket game. He is a low post guy with not much of a handle. Donovan gets up and down the floor faster than him and rebounds better.
Our big issue is our guards are fading in their production. I don't see it turning around mid season.
Without our 2 freshman last night this was a blowout. Providence plays a lot more physical than Mq and we got beat by both styles. We need stronger guard play.

Reaction Score
Since this is a meltdown and hot take thread, I'll offer this:

Have other teams scouted and noticed the fact that we seem to play bad on slippery inconsistent floors?

Both Providence and Marquette floors seemed like players were losing footing all the time. Dangerous conditions.

I think it helped to make us uncomfortable & tight in both games. Especially as we started to get a little fatigued in the 2nd half.

(this is mostly sarcasm)

Reaction Score
His stock is falling, though. I wonder if he is injured because they player we thought we knew for the first 14 games has disappeared way too often in the last 4. You see spurts, he looks slow, is frustrated by collapsing D, is out position on the boards and not quick on help.

Did you not watch the Creighton game? I'd say going off for 26/7 shows he's not hurt. Needs to pass out of doubles quicker. He looks completely lost when teams bring a second guy over has nothing to do with injury

Reaction Score
Want to keep this about the game but did you miss the Charlotte news from a few months ago - like 6 traffic citations for 125 in 50 mph zone, gun, dui etc. Chief cares more about his life than his rookie contract money, which may be evaporating at a record rate with his live in posse. As he plays in the G League with prospects for a second contract dimming. It takes longer to built a strong foundation but it would have likely paid off long term. What about the last two years has been good for James?
Didn't realize you had access to Bouks financials. Stop making assumptions on things you have no clue about.

Reaction Score

Well, what you prescribe is what has had a hard time working on the road. Our opponents have changed, they know our game.

Reaction Score
I don't respect St John's. And I think they're poorly coached
Having that attitude is exactly how you end up losing to a team like that. Thank god you’re not in charge. Soriano is a beast, they are shooting better of late, and they will disrupt our already anemic backcourt. St John’s Achilles heel is that they beat themselves with mistakes and can’t reconcile playing fast but still in control. Plenty of talent there - they are dangerous.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Early yes, but then he stopped and did the thing @superjohn calls "no man's land". Sticks to screener but doesn't high hedge. Honestly, if we are going to go over screens, then we need the big to cut the ball handler off and stop that penetration. The guard is going to have to defend the screener in P&R. That's what we've run for two years. This year it changed, I think because Donovan can't play it. But this half-way D they run when Adama is in isn't working. I don't think he went from + defender to slug. Either play him just like Clingan or have him cut off the ball handler. The challenge for the guards is that their defensive role changes based on who is playing center. Honestly think that's at the heart of all of the dysfunction on defense right now.

This is 100% right and something the people that hate the high hedge don't seem to get. We're going to give up a ton of points and fouls at the rim if we stop doing the high hedge, or if we start going under screens we're going to give up wide open 3s.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Clingan is nowhere close to ready for 30 minutes. He was clearly the best player on the court but he needs those quick breaks so that he continues to look that way
Maybe not 30 if he can’t handle it. But he played 21 without looking gassed, so around 25+ should be within reach.

Reaction Score
I have been saying for weeks here at the BY that Newton's play was, and is, suspect; specifically related to his ability to be our PG by his lack of point production and inability (or unwillingness) to drive to the hoop, and have been getting slammed here for pointing that out. Finally many yarders are now coming around to agree with those observations.

Sadly, am not sure that we have a ready solution given the other guards in our rotation. AJ seems to be the obvious choice, but last night he had trouble with his handle and his passes were either forced, or thrown with such speed and force that the receiver could not handle them. In addition, his hesitancy to drive to the hoop, and his poor outside shooting, make him more of a liability rather than a reliable asset.

Reaction Score
I have been saying for weeks here at the BY that Newton's play was, and is, suspect; specifically related to his ability to be our PG by his lack of point production and inability (or unwillingness) to drive to the hoop, and have been getting slammed here for pointing that out. Finally many yarders are now coming around to agree with those observations.

Sadly, am not sure that we have a ready solution given the other guards in our rotation. AJ seems to be the obvious choice, but last night he had trouble with his handle and his passes were either forced, or thrown with such speed and force that the receiver could not handle them. In addition, his hesitancy to drive to the hoop, and his poor outside shooting, make him more of a liability rather than a reliable asset.

All true. But we need Newton to get better and very soon because he is our hope to be good. It’s not Diarra we know that and AJ is much better suited as the “point combo” he’s just not a true PG. Tristan needs to go to the hole and have scoring the ball on his mind period. Hell with passing it once you put your head down get a shot off and others hit the boards. He is very important moving forward.

His D is fine and he rebounds too. Just can’t turn it over. Get to the line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom