Mark Cuban and the NCAA | The Boneyard

Mark Cuban and the NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I loved Mark Cubans comments regarding ncaa basketball, physical play, and the officiating ! I also found it interesting and continually disturbing that many huskiy fans disagreed with my post stating that I thought the championship game was " ugly ". Apparently, those fans only care about winning or losing. I've seen the game 4 times now. What do I see ? Among other things , specifically TR with a pointed elbow in the back of every husky in the lane, pushing them off their spot. But she wasn't the only one. I think it's time to stop blaming the officials , after all they are only following instructions. And why is this happening by design ? Because, this is how the game is " controlled " ! It's the great " equalizer " ! With all of the so-called " expert" announcers and analysts in the college game, is it really too much to ask for them to acknowledge these issues ? Or are they fearful of their jobs ?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Cuban was talking about the men's game. I doubt he gives the women's game a second thought (and probably not a first thought) because, as a businessman, the women's game does not benefit him one iota.

That said, he should really focus on the NBA. I'm a casual Celtics fan. I follow them, but don't only occasionally watch games. They are not appointment TV unless they are in the playoffs and even then...

I was flipping through the channels last week and came across the C's. I watch for about 10 minutes and I wanted to scratch my eyes out of my head. in those ten minutes only about 3 minutes of game time elapsed. There were so many fouls called that there was zero flow. It was awful. Cuban can't talk about isolation offense when it is so prevalent in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I realize that Cuban was talking about the men's game Husky 25. Obviously, you don't agree with my statement. Or do you not agree with Cuban ? You really don't acknowledge the facts I was talking about either. IMO , why call ticky tac fouls on the perimeter, but allow defensive players to inhibit the flow of players moving thru the lane ?

Husky25

Reaction Score
I realize that Cuban was talking about the men's game Husky 25. Obviously, you don't agree with my statement. Or do you not agree with Cuban ? You really don't acknowledge the facts I was talking about either. IMO , why call ticky tac fouls on the perimeter, but allow defensive players to inhibit the flow of players moving thru the lane ?

I don't see where you make any discernible point.

1) I didn't give you my opinion on Cuban's comments. By definition, any thoughts I have were not obvious in the least. What you can ascertain from my comments is that I think Cuban needs to address the game style of his own league before worrying about the college...But since you asked, I think Cuban is off-base. While 50 or so new NBA players come from the college ranks each year, there are over 300 Division 1 college programs. Each program is eligible to issue a maximum of 12 scholarships which equates to over 3,600 players. So Cuban wants to make fundamental changes to a game that will most likely hurt over 80% of the programs involved for the benefit of less than 1.5% of the players. It's not the NCAA's job to prepare the elite players for the NBA. Their obligation is to the other 98.6% for later life who are actually students first, then athletes.

2) Cuban was not talking about women's basketball. There is no connection, other than court & rim dimensions and that they are both called, "basketball." As entertaining as women's basketball may be, the men's and women's game are different games.

3) There were 8 total fouls called in the first half on Tuesday (11 in the second half) Only two fouls were called in the first 9;47 and of the 4 called on Notre Dame in the first half, 2 were on Tanya Reimer.

I didn't hear anyone complaining about the officials from Tuesday Night's game. The flow of the game was more or less uninhibited and the contest was won/lost by the players on the court. I found it quite entertaining. I did however still hear complaining about the officials from Monday, who did a woeful job especially on that out of bounds replay.

To answer your question above. Typically, the early nickel-dimers on the perimeter are meant to curb hand checking later in the game which inhibits the gam flow later in the contest. Inside, a little banging in the lane is part of the game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Watch a Pac12 game.

Touch fouls are called through-out the game. Banging inside, including beating up the shooter, is probably ok so long as you don't touch their shooting arm. Scrums for loose balls - which I know can be a gray area - look like there is going to be blood on the floor in PAC games. And every ref's idea of a block / charge call appears to be different.

Amazingly - as the PAC's playing style is adapted this way - the calls don't favor either team, usually. But they are predictable and mystifying.

There is plenty of physical play in all games and I know I heard at least one announcer say that WBB was a very physical game and no one should be fooled otherwise. It is especially physical in the block - just check out the bruises on players that play primarily in the post.

I agree that most games are not free-flowing, but I'm not sure most games ever were or ever are going to be. Most games I watched this season seemed more competitive and entertaining than in previous years, whether beautiful ball or not.

Reaction Score
The over-physicality of play, especially in the lane, is a major reason why some want to see changes made. Widening the lane to match the international standard would be a good start.

Reaction Score
I loved Mark Cubans comments regarding ncaa basketball, physical play, and the officiating ! I also found it interesting and continually disturbing that many huskiy fans disagreed with my post stating that I thought the championship game was " ugly ". Apparently, those fans only care about winning or losing. I've seen the game 4 times now. What do I see ? Among other things , specifically TR with a pointed elbow in the back of every husky in the lane, pushing them off their spot. But she wasn't the only one. I think it's time to stop blaming the officials , after all they are only following instructions. And why is this happening by design ? Because, this is how the game is " controlled " ! It's the great " equalizer " ! With all of the so-called " expert" announcers and analysts in the college game, is it really too much to ask for them to acknowledge these issues ? Or are they fearful of their jobs ?
I thought as you it was a poorly played game. You would expect more from top two teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Husky25, let me be more blunt with my statement, since you still don't understand what I was getting at. The women's game has become so physical that the offensive players cannot operate during their cuts or flow of the game. Just look at how much time post players end up spending on the perimeter. Apparently, you disagree with my statement, which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own oppinion.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Husky25, let me be more blunt with my statement, since you still don't understand what I was getting at. The women's game has become so physical that the offensive players cannot operate during their cuts or flow of the game. Just look at how much time post players end up spending on the perimeter. Apparently, you disagree with my statement, which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own oppinion.
All well and good, but that has nothing to do with Mark Cuban's comments. The thread title is misleading, IMO.

I don't watch enough women's basketball to notice a trend in post players on the perimeter, but judging from what I do watch, UConn and ND have bigs who can hit that shot (Also Stewart - who definitely can hit it - twisted her ankle something fierce. Discomfort may have contributed to her offensive positioning).

That said, I thought the flow of Tuesday's game was great. The refs let the kids play. I'd so much rather that than hearing a whistle every time an official exhaled. Perhaps I didn't notice the ugliness because I don't mind a little contact in the lane. I don't think the players mind a ton either...at least not UConn. I'm pretty sure I saw a few players wearing mouthpieces. True, the guard is meant to protect themselves, but it is also worn because they know they are going to do some instigating as well. These are tough, athletic young women, they don't need to be coddled. Maybe that is why UConn is so successful. Not only do they just outwork their opponents, they far and out-tough them as well.

Reaction Score
Thanks Husky 25. Originally, I was just trying to point out what I thought were similarities and deficiencies in both w&mcbb. A wider lane would be great. The 30 second shot clock has helped wcbb, along w/ 10 second rule. The men need to go to 30 sec. I thought it was interesting that a true basketball expert had the same thoughts.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks Husky 25. Originally, I was just trying to point out what I thought were similarities and deficiencies in both w&mcbb. A wider lane would be great. The 30 second shot clock has helped wcbb, along w/ 10 second rule. The men need to go to 30 sec. I thought it was interesting that a true basketball expert had the same thoughts.
The more you widen the lane, the closer you are getting to have all 5 offensive players out by the 3 point line; and, a decided loss of inside play.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I thought it was an ugly game. The Anti-Dayton.

Reaction Score
Went back and watched Uconn vs Irish 2001 FF. game . Game was not nearly as physical as it is today ! Just saying !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom