Marisa Moseley off to a winning start at Boston University | The Boneyard

Marisa Moseley off to a winning start at Boston University

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Marisa Moseley was back home, wielding more responsibility and more power than ever before after accepting a head-coaching job at her alma mater, Boston University. She had checked off some of the most pressing items on her to-do list, including earning her first victory, yet she didn’t sound satisfied.

1544705837000.png

“I was excited for the players more than anything,” Moseley said last month by phone, following a 72-51 win over Brown. “Obviously, winning builds confidence. The hard work they’re putting in, there’s a payoff there. I told them, we can enjoy it for tonight, but we have to get back to work and start preparing for the next game. You don’t want to them to get too high off wins or too low off losses. It’s just constantly trying to improve.”

Marisa Moseley off to a winning start at Boston University

You see, Moseley did an inordinate amount of winning in her last job, to the point where it’s practically woven into her DNA. In nine seasons as an assistant at UConn, Moseley was a part of nine Final Fours and five national championships, including four consecutive from 2013-16. But now, Moseley is cradling her own program, one that went 10-19 a season ago with three losses to Lafayette. No longer is she immersed in one of the glitz-and-glamour programs of women’s college basketball.

“There’s an adjustment, but also there’s the reality that they aren’t the same place,” she said. “I wouldn’t be here if they had won every single game coming in. You know that. The challenge more than anything is to try to get the most out of the people that we have and be prepared to try and compete in every game. If we don’t, then we have to go back and fix whatever wasn’t working.

Reaction Score
Tough job. Men's team rarely draws more than 900 a game and they both play in a gym the size of most high school's.

Reaction Score
They have the huge Agganis Arena (capacity about 8000), where the hockey teams play, but there is no point playing there when the real average attendance for the men is less than 600 and the women maybe 350. The men played there for a couple of years and it was a joke - playing in front of 7600 empty seats with a few actual fans interspersed in a few spots.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I just took a look at her staff and it has a definite UConn flavor, on it is
Kate Barnosky, Assistant Coach, former assistant Tufts under our Ms. Berube
Mitchell Simmons, Dir. Basketball Operations, 2018 UConn Graduate
Peter Feeney, Video Coordinator, from Connecticut Sun, UConn graduate and also a Men's practice player with the women's team!

Humm, I wonder what she is trying to emulate up there?:rolleyes:

Best of luck to her and I hope she builds a great following.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
They have the huge Agganis Arena (capacity about 8000), where the hockey teams play, but there is no point playing there when the real average attendance for the men is less than 600 and the women maybe 350. The men played there for a couple of years and it was a joke - playing in front of 7600 empty seats with a few actual fans interspersed in a few spots.

You jogged my memory. I’m not sure how many Bosox fans (I’m a Yankee fan) know who Harry Agganis was. I actually had his autograph. He was a budding star for the Sox, showing Yankee killer signs. He tragically died very young of, I believe, pneumonia. At Boston U he was a very high level athlete, a very good QB I believe. He was a really nice guy. A truly sad story.

Reaction Score
You jogged my memory. I’m not sure how many Bosox fans (I’m a Yankee fan) know who Harry Agganis was. I actually had his autograph. He was a budding star for the Sox, showing Yankee killer signs. He tragically died very young of, I believe, pneumonia. At Boston U he was a very high level athlete, a very good QB I believe. He was a really nice guy. A truly sad story.

Btw, Agganis Arena is adjacent to where Braves Field, the home of the Boston Braves for maybe 40 years, was located. A portion of the stadium still exists and is incorporated into Boston U's soccer stadium.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A great opportunity to pad her resume if she can drag (10-19 last year) BU up from the world of cupcakes. I wonder if she took a pay cut?

Reaction Score
A great opportunity to pad her resume if she can drag (10-19 last year) BU up from the world of cupcakes. I wonder if she took a pay cut?
what year did Marisa Grad from BC

Reaction Score
So happy for Marisa. When she was here in Minnesota, she did a wonderful job with the players. Naturally when she came to UConn, I was very excited that she was joining a great coaching team. Now that she has her own program, I wish her well and hope that the fans ( an AD ) of Boston are welcoming and are patient. They should be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom