Marinatto says UConn committed... | The Boneyard

Marinatto says UConn committed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
At least, that's the headline on the front page of courant.com.
Well, here's the actual quote:
"[UConn president Susan Herbst] was terrific at this meeting," Big East commissioner John Marinatto said. "She said she would do whatever she could to help build a stronger Big East going forward."
Which if you parse it, is not quite as clear-cut as saying that UConn is committed to staying in the BE:

But a UConn source said later that nothing had changed regarding UConn's relationship with the Big East. It's in, the source said, but keeping options open

Reaction Score
Maybe he's right, but it's now incumbent upon us to get UConn out of the looney bin.

Reaction Score
Every football school in attendance will jump if offered by either of ACC, B1G, SEC, or B-12
If Maranatto doesn't realize this then his head is burried further in the sand than it initially appears.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Every football school in attendance will jump if offered by either of ACC, B1G, SEC, or B-12
If Maranatto doesn't realize this then his head is burried further in the sand than it initially appears.

So what should we all do with this insight of yours? Should the schools all just give up because they are not in their dream league?

Reaction Score
"We may be sitting where we are for a few years," Herbst said. "As long as we're in the Big East, we've got to work to strengthen it … We've got to add some institutions, we've got to find schools that are a match for us."

Translation: put a viable solution on the table, then maybe we'll commit. Until then we're keeping our options open.

Reaction Score
Seems to me to be a case where everyone is doing what they need to do. UCONN, and I expect Rutgers, too, said they would "do what needs to be done" to rebuild the Big East. wha tthye didn't say was but in the meantime we'll be contacting the ACC and the B-10 about applications on a regular basis. From a UCONN perspective, the best outcome longterm would probalby be an ACC invitation leaving a solid if unspectacular Big East behind for West Virginia, USF and the others. But the reality is that losing Syracuse and Pitt was a whack to the basketball side, too. It wasn't like two nobodies left on that side like when Miami and VaTech went. None of the schools listed as replacements are even close as replacements.

Reaction Score
our best long term outcome to me is invite to the BigTen. bball-wise they may not seem as ideal, but Mich State and Ohio State are solid and Indiana obviously has been great at times. in the ACC we'll always stick out to me, and while a "midwest" conference may not seem like a good fit for us, i wouldn't mind seeing us fit in with the top public research universities.

that being said neither the BigTen or ACC is an option today, and may not ever be so we need to build up the BE. personally if we do leave the BE i'd much rather leave a relatively stable conference than a trainwreck in our wake.

Reaction Score
You could tell that the meeting was not something that she wanted to be a part of- more pie in the sky stuff. She wants the best for UConn, something concrete to build on. Obviously, the Big East is trying to start all over again, and on paper appears much weaker. There are just so many uncertainties in all this, but she seems honest about all this, and in control. She and JC seem to be a good one-two punch. Unlike with Hathaway, everyone now seems to be on the same page. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom