Marcus Johnson Dunk Mix | The Boneyard

Marcus Johnson Dunk Mix

Reaction Score
Not being a jerk....but he averaged 4 ppg over his two years in Storrs. That video must be most of his field goals. ;)

Reaction Score
Not being a jerk....but he averaged 4 ppg over his two years in Storrs. That video must be most of his field goals. ;)
I completely forgot Marcus Johnson was a Fr on that 2005-06 team until I watched that video. I just don’t have any memory of him that season. Honestly, I do not remember any of those highlights outside of the dunks vs Syracuse at Gampel in 2007.

Reaction Score
Thanks tcf15. I don’t know if it’s ever been done, but if it’s possible can you or someone else please do a Johnnie Selvie highlight video. There’s a small group of boneyarders that would actually shed a tear over that. Thanks
Definitely on my list. Working backwards and going through 05-06 right now. Should get to Selvie soon.

Reaction Score
I completely forgot Marcus Johnson was a Fr on that 2005-06 team until I watched that video. I just don’t have any memory of him that season. Honestly, I do not remember any of those highlights outside of the dunks vs Syracuse at Gampel in 2007.
In general, 2006-2007 was an entirely forgettable season. Probably the most forgettable up until 2017-2018.

Reaction Score
In general, 2006-2007 was an entirely forgettable season. Probably the most forgettable up until 2017-2018.
Yes, it really was. I remember being so bummed when that season was over. When we started out 11-0, it was essentially fools gold since that was probably the weakest November/December schedule we ever played. At the time, that was the first season we missed out on any post season tournament since Jim Calhoun’s first year as head coach in 86-87. Unlike 2017-2018, the reason wasn’t for lack of talent. We just had too many Freshmen, but those guys went on to become the core of our 2009 Final Four team.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

He had a few starts later in the season where he put up 20+ pts. I'm surprised he didn't end up doing more in his time here. I wish he hadn't transferred, as it would've been helpful to have him around during Stanley Robinson's suspension.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I guess I'm suggesting that although these are highlights you can see he can play. I actually watched a Cuse game, perhaps 06-07, where he got quite a bit of time and was easily the most efficient offensive player in that game. He scores 16 w/ a couple of really big plays and we win at Storrs in an upset. If I'm not mistaken we ended up 17-14. You can see JC's hook, which suffered no fools, was exceptionally quick w/ Marcus Johnson. So my thought was what was the background story on why he doesn't play more, was it a dispute, poor practice player, etc?

Reaction Score
didn’t he transfer to usc and join another player? some kid named demar?

Last edited:

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I guess I'm suggesting that although these are highlights you can see he can play. I actually watched a Cuse game, perhaps 06-07, where he got quite a bit of time and was easily the most efficient offensive player in that game. He scores 16 w/ a couple of really big plays and we win at Storrs in an upset. If I'm not mistaken we ended up 17-14. You can see JC's hook, which suffered no fools, was exceptionally quick w/ Marcus Johnson. So my thought was what was the background story on why he doesn't play more, was it a dispute, poor practice player, etc?

He wasn't a poor practice player. I remember Jim Calhoun saying in toward the end of 05-06 that MJ was the reason the team was as good on offense as they were. Apparently Johnson was a remarkable defender in practice and it forced the rest of the team to be more careful and crafty with the ball. He was a very good defender and at times showed some range from 3, but his FT shooting was horrible (this would follow him to USC and later international leagues/the G League) and his shot was overall just really inconsistent.

In some ways he reminds me of Sid Wilson. He had over-the-top athletic abilities and most of us were sold on him being a lock for the NBA early on. Hell, in summer of 06, mock draft boards were projecting him to be a top ten pick in 2007. With Sid Wilson I think there was just a poor personality match with the coach, as well as his skills not being developed to where his supreme athleticism led us to believe. Marcus Johnson had more basketball IQ and talent standing at the ready, but for some reason couldn't consistently string it together.

Reaction Score
He along with Curtis kelly, Scott hazelton, Jamal Coombs McDaniel, and doug wrenn are my “that’s all we get?” Starting 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom