March 29, 1999 - UConn is the Top Dog | The Boneyard

March 29, 1999 - UConn is the Top Dog

Reaction Score
Thanks to Rip, Khalid, Ricky, Kevin, Jake, Rashamel and the rest of the outstanding team!

Being at The Trop watching UConn beat Duke for their first National title over Duke was the best game I’ve ever witnessed!!
same here. Nothing will ever top that off. I remember my heart was pounding at the end for that game especially after El-Amin missed that shot and Duke got the rebound and had the ball for the chance to win being down 75-74.

Reaction Score
25 years ago today, we shocked the world. I was a college senior on campus and the memory of that moment and the ensuing rush is one of those vivid "where were you when..." memories that seem simultaneously both forever ago and only yesterday and firmly divide your life into a before and after. I have similar memories for all the subsequent Natties that are time capsules into different stages in my life. But the first, the first will always be special.

Cheers!

Reaction Score
Happy 77-74 day!
I still have the many newspaper stories from various sources from the day after 77-74. You did a great job of consolidating them, Deepster! Awesome job!
One of my favorites is Wilbon’s take. To paraphrase: The result wasn’t a fluke. There were no tricks or gimmicks. It was the Huskies playing hard nosed hoops. They took it right at Duke and came out on top.

Reaction Score
A quarter century later, still the greatest night in sports history. The buzz from that win lasted the entire summer. What a time!

Teams before them blazed the trail for that memorable '98-99 championship team, and that team blazed the trail for the multi-championship program that we are today.

77-74 forever.

i.jpg

Reaction Score
Anyone who isn’t from CT will never truly understand what that moment was like. We lost the Whalers and missed out on the Pats (Rowland got played by Kraft).

I still feel like we have that extra chip on our shoulder, hope we never lose that edge. Don’t ever be like Duke and get comfortable with our accolades, always be hungry for more.

Reaction Score
Anyone who isn’t from CT will never truly understand what that moment was like. We lost the Whalers and missed out on the Pats (Rowland got played by Kraft).

I still feel like we have that extra chip on our shoulder, hope we never lose that edge. Don’t ever be like Duke and get comfortable with our accolades, always be hungry for more.
We also lost the New Haven Beasts that year!!! :D:D

Reaction Score
Went down to FL with a few friends and no ticket. We were incredibly lucky and barely got in to see the semi final game. Absolute hardest ticket I've ever seen. Nobody was selling.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There was a Leigh Montville column that he published right after the 1999 championship that I can not find. Anyone have a link to it?

Reaction Score
I was at the game as well. What a great night! Other than the W, of course, the high point of the night was going to a nearby bar after the game and seeing several of the female Duke fans crying.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There was a Leigh Montville column that he published right after the 1999 championship that I can not find. Anyone have a link to it?
There was also an epic article the next day in the Daily Tar Heel.

Reaction Score
I was at the game as well. What a great night! Other than the W, of course, the high point of the night was going to a nearby bar after the game and seeing several of the female Duke fans crying.
Went to Ferg’s, the outdoor bar after watching Calhoun and the team cut down the nets. It was fantastic! The worst part of playing on the East coast was that closing time came much too soon! I was walking on air for two days before starting to come down.

Reaction Score
There was also an epic article the next day in the Daily Tar Heel.
Sadly, I didn't find my way to the old BY until a few months after 77-74, but I remember checking out one of the Tar Heel boards that night. They were all HUGE Husky fans that night.

Reaction Score
My freshman year. Went to the game and flew back the next morning. Arrived about an hour before the team. I still get chills thinking about that drive back up to Storrs. Cars pulled over waiting for the team and signs hanging from every overpass on 84.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom