Manuel Tears into Football Team | The Boneyard

Manuel Tears into Football Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Good to know, but at the end of the day, its just words from someone with no real affect on the day to day activity of the team.

What is more telling to me is that DeLeone is no longer in a position to affect the offense as a whole and the recruiting seems to be improving (UConn is ranked 5 in the B.E.). But these ratings guys know marginally more than a motivated fan with an Internet connection and $8.99/month.

Those two reasons are among why I've renewed my season tickets.

Reaction Score
Good to know, but at the end of the day, its just words from someone with no real affect on the day to day activity of the team.

What is more telling to me is that DeLeone is no longer in a position to affect the offense as a whole and the recruiting seems to be improving (UConn is ranked 5 in the B.E.). But these ratings guys know marginally more than a motivated fan with an Internet connection and $8.99/month.

Those two reasons are among why I've renewed my season tickets.

I disagree, there is an effect, culture is important.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I disagree, there is an effect, culture is important.

True, but I think the change in leadership (even if only 2nd in command) has more of an effect.

Reaction Score
Mike DiMauro actually gets it. More than lots of people on these boards. Amazing.

Reaction Score
He probably ripped into the coaches too, but in private. It was the coaching who had the team strapped down more than the players themselves. The fact he was able to chop PP and GDL in half seems like a miracle.

But still nice to see at least see Manuel take the football program very seriously. Those who suggest UConn should drop football have no clue about the future of collegiate sports. I really do think Manuel and Herbst want UConn to be a big part of their legacy. They see what Calhoun saw.

Reaction Score
UCONN and WM has to look like they care about big time football too.

Keeping P as the coach and GDL on the staff shows that the AD and admin. are not willing at this time to make the changes necessary to get to the next level in college football and not having out of conference games for 2014 speaks volumes.

They want to fill the Rent beef up the schedule(having Michigan and Maryland ) is great for this upcoming season. Keep it going.

WM can complain about a lack of attendance but you have to give the frindge fan something to come and see.

All in all I'm glad he spoke to the team. Glad to know he actually has a pulse and is NOT just monitoring the situation.

Reaction Score
He should spend his time yelling at those responsible for selling tickets. So football isn't a hot ticket item in CT yet. How about getting creative and working with inner city middle schools, and making tickets available to inner city kids who finished on the honor roll. Have the schools work out the details of getting them there. Spread the Gospel of UConn football. I've said this before, they have taken the approach of "if you build it, they will come". Well season tickets, have been steadily declining for quite a few years now. The schedule this year will probably, offset that for this year, but it is time to rethink the strategy. I know Warde himself hasn't been here long enough to have been the cause of this, but it is time to abandon the failed strategies of the previous administrations. There is some evidence this is beginning to happen already.

Reaction Score
Interesting article. I'm all for it. Our student-athletes need to constantly hear the urgency of reform and change. They need to hear how important it is to succeed so that were not left behind and out to dry. It starts with passion and intrinsic motivation and a great off season. We have to prove our worth next year thats for sure. Light into them just enough that it fuels and inspires them.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how anyone could have a poor opinion of what Warde did. I for one LOVE it. By telling the players first hand he is letting the entire program know that anything less than 100% effort 100% of the time is not going to be acceptable. It wasn't the coach who addressed the players, it was the coach's boss. I'm sure P got a message from this too, if he can't get the kids the message, he can easily find someone else that can.

Reaction Score
This following statement was interesting: "Even UConn women's coach Geno Auriemma said after Tuesday's game that the more football wins, the better it is for everyone in the athletic department." With all the success he's had coaching basketball, it made me wonder if he'd consider coaching the football team? :D

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Uconn dogs and noey... Seriously?? Our AD shows his passion for football and success and you spin it in to something bad? I mean your suggestion is actually good noey but his discussion with the team is a separate thing...

"Tone at the Top" is a bit of a silly business phrase, but it's spot on. WM is setting the tone of 100% effort and success.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i wish i was in that room. oh my.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Good article.....wish Warde had maybe given this speech during the season. Might have gave us another win and put us in a bowl. However, it shows that he seems to get it and that UConn is really going to push football. I just hope they show more urgency in promoting the program and getting more butts into the seats.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He should spend his time yelling at those responsible for selling tickets. So football isn't a hot ticket item in CT yet. How about getting creative and working with inner city middle schools, and making tickets available to inner city kids who finished on the honor roll. Have the schools work out the details of getting them there. Spread the Gospel of UConn football. I've said this before, they have taken the approach of "if you build it, they will come". Well season tickets, have been steadily declining for quite a few years now. The schedule this year will probably, offset that for this year, but it is time to rethink the strategy. I know Warde himself hasn't been here long enough to have been the cause of this, but it is time to abandon the failed strategies of the previous administrations. There is some evidence this is beginning to happen already.

Warde didn't mention tickets, the writer did. Warde probably let them know in no uncertain terms, that had they given 100% on the field, they win at least two more games and go to a bowl. Losing to Temple? Please. He's letting them know how much the school cares about their performance. That they do not take second fiddle to basketball in the eyes of the administration. It's an important cultural message.

As for those saying he isn't really serious unless he fires PP, that's crazy. There was nobody they could find that was better than PP under these circumstances. Recruiting has improved. We have a new OC, thanks to WM. He's going after the things that are broken. I like the approach. Let's see how PP fares with Weist designing the offense.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"Manuel addressed the UConn football players not long after the season ended and let them know, loudly and clearly, that the season that had just transpired would never, ever happen again."

What does this mean? What exactly is he saying here? What transpired that will never happen again?

He's preaching to the wrong audience. Dr. Deming would rip Warde a new one if he was still around. The process is out of control, berating the operators does not lead to improved performance. Warde had his chance to improve the process and he whiffed. This little pep talk reeks of desperation to me.

Reaction Score
Glad to know he actually has a pulse and is NOT just monitoring the situation.

Funny to me is that the only ones who think that are the nudnicks on boards like this who expect him to report every move he makes publicly and in the time frame they deem is necessary. We all would like more info especially the schedule at this point. Some just take it way too far, especially given that they don't know a damn thing about doing his or SH jobs. As for the attendance, the only statement not showing up makes is that you don't support your program it shouldn't matter who your opponent is or if your team is in a down year. That is the perception the nation gets from that reality.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
"He's preaching to the wrong audience. Dr. Deming would rip Warde a new one if he was still around. The process is out of control, berating the operators does not lead to improved performance. Warde had his chance to improve the process and he whiffed. This little pep talk reeks of desperation to me.

If Warde was telling them what to work on or how to work on it, you might have a point.

But it sounds like a generalized motivational talk. That's cool. I don't think it undermines PP at all, I know for a fact he isn't happy with the last season either and hasn't been shy about saying so.

Happy to hear everyone is fired up.

Reaction Score
Didn't a player came out against the coach publically in some tweet or something a while back...
If that was the case, and Warde was suggesting to the team that he is the AD and that decision will be made by himself, and himself only, I'm all for it.
the fact that this happened a while back and nothing was leaked until now, it seems the players have bought in.

Reaction Score
A college AD has no business going into the locker room to get on the players, that's the coaches job, it's the AD's job to get on the coach behind closed doors. Warde sounds like a guy that doesn't know his place.

If it was a motivational speech, then that's fine, but this sounds like blame and finger pointing.

Reaction Score
"Manuel addressed the UConn football players not long after the season ended and let them know, loudly and clearly, that the season that had just transpired would never, ever happen again."

What does this mean? What exactly is he saying here? What transpired that will never happen again?

He's preaching to the wrong audience. Dr. Deming would rip Warde a new one if he was still around. The process is out of control, berating the operators does not lead to improved performance. Warde had his chance to improve the process and he whiffed. This little pep talk reeks of desperation to me.

Somebody please send Manuel a copy of the 60 Minutes piece on college football finances featuring David Brandon ... and then tell him the season he had last year would never, ever happen again. Major college AD's do not give threatening pep talks to football players ... and then brag about it to newspapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom