Manhattan Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Manhattan Post Game Thread

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We saw the bow on television but not the throwing of t-shirts. Good to see the bad stuff behind us so that the legends can fully embrace the team. Coach mentioned on the postgame that Rip is involved in the background. He helped Jordan last year and that turned out pretty well.
I'm just glad they didn't make him to do "Blue-White".

Reaction Score
He got carried off. Could not bear weight. I was there and didn’t see it, not sure if they replayed it on broadcast. I think he had the ball and planted his leg and something gave.
Yeah, non contact it appeared. The announcers were hoping for a hyperextension, but I think it was the other leg (right) than was the injured one.

Reaction Score
I noticed Brett Rumpel in warm ups so I watched him throughout the game. Very quick and uses his speed. No points but a few near misses. He's a good player and it shows the difference between a good player at Manhattan vs. good players at UConn. He was really trying hard to make something happen and I think he overdid it, possibly twisting his knee.

It was cool to watch the Ray Allen highlights and then, with no announcement, there was Ray on the court. Later he was in his seat playing with a little kid, a grandchild perhaps?

Reaction Score
Manhattan played Kansas, the current No. 1 team in the country, and lost 99-61 on Nov. 10.

“I’ll put it on the table,” Gallagher said. “I think UConn’s better. I think by a couple baskets and here’s why: At the end of the day, (Donovan) Clingan’s ball-screen coverage is a little better than (Hunter Dickinson’s). And if you look at (Alex) Karaban, Karaban’s an NBA first-round pick. He’s a first round pick at the end of this year, go look at his numbers… He’s very impressive. So I think UConn’s better and, I think at the end of the day, Kansas and coach (Bill) Self – who I love – they don’t have the sweat equity that UConn has, they have to get that."

Alternate access:
Former UHart coach John Gallagher ‘overwhelmed’ with memories as he returned to coach Manhattan against UConn

Reaction Score
I noticed Brett Rumpel in warm ups so I watched him throughout the game. Very quick and uses his speed. No points but a few near misses. He's a good player and it shows the difference between a good player at Manhattan vs. good players at UConn. He was really trying hard to make something happen and I think he overdid it, possibly twisting his knee.

It was cool to watch the Ray Allen highlights and then, with no announcement, there was Ray on the court. Later he was in his seat playing with a little kid, a grandchild perhaps?

Rumpel had scored in double figures in each of the Jaspars games thus far. Hope it’s not serious looks like a nice player and would be a big loss for Gallagher.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Manhattan played Kansas, the current No. 1 team in the country, and lost 99-61 on Nov. 10.

“I’ll put it on the table,” Gallagher said. “I think UConn’s better. I think by a couple baskets and here’s why: At the end of the day, (Donovan) Clingan’s ball-screen coverage is a little better than (Hunter Dickinson’s). And if you look at (Alex) Karaban, Karaban’s an NBA first-round pick. He’s a first round pick at the end of this year, go look at his numbers… He’s very impressive. So I think UConn’s better and, I think at the end of the day, Kansas and coach (Bill) Self – who I love – they don’t have the sweat equity that UConn has, they have to get that."

Alternate access:
Former UHart coach John Gallagher ‘overwhelmed’ with memories as he returned to coach Manhattan against UConn
I’m getting so excited for that game. I think that’s why I don’t even know when we play UNH. I’m just looking ahead.

Reaction Score
Really would like to see a big Solo Ball game before Kansas (aka vs UNH) to get his confidence up. He’s close but the shots need to start falling.

Reaction Score
Really would like to see a big Solo Ball game before Kansas (aka vs UNH) to get his confidence up. He’s close but the shots need to start falling.
I think his adrenaline is just too strong and he jumps too high on his shots compared to practice. He's often missing long. Unfortunately, I think the environment at Kansas is not going to do much to calm him down.

Reaction Score
I think his adrenaline is just too strong and he jumps too high on his shots compared to practice. He's often missing long. Unfortunately, I think the environment at Kansas is not going to do much to calm him down.

Phogg Allen will be a test for that reason alone. They’ve basically played all home games going into that one, interested in how all of them respond including the veterans.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really enjoyed the Hurley post game interview!
  • Loved the positive comments on Ball - seems like he's getting better every game, even if it's by small amounts.
  • Thought his comments on Newton were spot on and good for him for calling out the media for 'watching twitter highlights' when discussing who the best guards in the country are. He must have said at least 3 times that Newton is one of the best guards in the country.
  • Didn't understand the Wetterman comment - I'm sure it was meant in jest, so what's the joke there?
  • Loved his comments about Clingan and I think Karaban - he said BOTH will be much different players in Feb and March next year - that their improvement will be big. He went on to talk about Hawkins and Jackson last season and how much they improved by the end of the season.
  • Loved his comments about Ollie and putting it all behind us, and about all the guys who have been calling and texting and being around the team (Allen, Villanueva, Voskuhl, and I can't remember who else he mentioned). Talked a lot about the culture of the program.
  • Also some nice comments about Diarra and Stewart (I think) with how well the bench is doing. No mention of Johnson, but he's been great too. He also said the guys on the bench are all about the team - cheering on teammates, even tho the teammates' great play is keeping them on the bench.
  • Also had some great comments about Spencer - I think fans are universally thrilled we ended up with him over Timberlake.
  • Mentioned several times his assistants by name and how great they are.
I just like how he answers and addresses things. Doesn't shy away from anything uncomfortable. I assume if he didn't like something, he would call the reporter out, but obviously didn't need any of that for this presser. You can tell he's really high on the team - side note - anyone remember if he was making comments like this at this time last season?

Reaction Score
Really enjoyed the Hurley post game interview!
  • Loved the positive comments on Ball - seems like he's getting better every game, even if it's by small amounts.
  • Thought his comments on Newton were spot on and good for him for calling out the media for 'watching twitter highlights' when discussing who the best guards in the country are. He must have said at least 3 times that Newton is one of the best guards in the country.
  • Didn't understand the Wetterman comment - I'm sure it was meant in jest, so what's the joke there?
  • Loved his comments about Clingan and I think Karaban - he said BOTH will be much different players in Feb and March next year - that their improvement will be big. He went on to talk about Hawkins and Jackson last season and how much they improved by the end of the season.
  • Loved his comments about Ollie and putting it all behind us, and about all the guys who have been calling and texting and being around the team (Allen, Villanueva, Voskuhl, and I can't remember who else he mentioned). Talked a lot about the culture of the program.
  • Also some nice comments about Diarra and Stewart (I think) with how well the bench is doing. No mention of Johnson, but he's been great too. He also said the guys on the bench are all about the team - cheering on teammates, even tho the teammates' great play is keeping them on the bench.
  • Also had some great comments about Spencer - I think fans are universally thrilled we ended up with him over Timberlake.
  • Mentioned several times his assistants by name and how great they are.
I just like how he answers and addresses things. Doesn't shy away from anything uncomfortable. I assume if he didn't like something, he would call the reporter out, but obviously didn't need any of that for this presser. You can tell he's really high on the team - side note - anyone remember if he was making comments like this at this time last season?
Good comments, I love the part about including the prior teams including the Big Texan Voskuhl. Hurley also mentioned that Rip has been helping behind the scenes.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This comment is quite a tribute:

“I would like not to play his teams too often,” he said. “They play really hard, they’re well-prepared and they play with a lot of energy. So you try to avoid teams like that in these types of games.”

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that Gallagher is also a huge Eagles fan? During one point of the game they showed him yelling out to his team and his green sport coats lining had numerous Eagles logo heads in satin. Despite that I like the guy :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom