Man plz don’t blame adama | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Man plz don’t blame adama

Reaction Score
Would love to see Sanogo take a 10-15’ jumper multiple times a game
Sanogo’s a good player but his hands were not good tonight and he still doesn’t want to recognize the double team.
Indeed. If I were an opposing coach, I'd just collapse in the lane when Sanogo got the ball and wait for the turnover or the blocked shot.

Reaction Score
Id play adama 35 minutes between 4-5. adama is still our 2 nd best player hy a margin just cant get him suffocated by triple teams
When Clingan is in there---4 man. When hes out shift to 5
Clingan 5(try to get 27-30 min)
Adama 4-5 35 min
Karaban shifts to a 3-4 35 min
Hawkins 2 35 min
Jackson 1 35 min
role players

Reaction Score
You want to play doubke bigs and bench Karaban, who seems to be the only guy from the perimeter who can hit a shot?

Sanogo was brutal defensively today, but it wasn’t all him as the team couldn’t guard a chair in the second half. The issue is guard play, offensively and defensively.
Solution... Triple Big. Bench Newton

Reaction Score
Not sure if the spacing will work playing DC and AS together… both are inside players

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Solution... Triple Big. Bench Newton
Nah. All big.
5 Clingan
4 Sanogo
3 Johnson
2 Karaban
1 Jackson

No dribbling past half court. Hands always above the shoulders. We just throw it around over the D until somebody dunks or Karaban hits a 3. Repeat.

Reaction Score
Nah. All big.
5 Clingan
4 Sanogo
3 Johnson
2 Karaban
1 Jackson

No dribbling past half court. Hands always above the shoulders. We just throw it around over the D until somebody dunks or Karaban hits a 3. Repeat.
I feel like the tutorial on this offense needs to be in black and white on a film projector with a bunch of guy on short shorts using a peach basket as a hoop!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I feel like the tutorial on this offense needs to be in black and white on a film projector with a bunch of guy on short shorts using a peach basket as a hoop!
Well it's a joke, but I assure you they didn't have teams that big back in those days. It was more like 4 Joey Cs and a shorter guy than that. I think the best possible team is 4 Wilt Chamberlains and Bill Russell. I suppose maybe 3 Wilts, Russell and Jordan.

People here keep complaining about point guard play don't seem to realize that the design of the offense isn't based on there even being a point guard. The ball is supposed to be moving through the air, not via the bounce. Marquette played the passing lanes, and UConn didn't adapt. So "throw it over them" is something of a real suggestion. We have to get back to moving off the ball and moving the ball. Too much standing around.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
We have to get back to moving off the ball and moving the ball. Too much standing around.
Agreed - they were better last night though than the past 3-4 games where I started to feel a bit of deja vu. Newton needs to cut that out though, way too much dribbling in place out past the top of key for no purpose.

In the post game presser DH did say they run way too much fixed offensive sets and need to be more creative on the floor. Gotta make the scout harder.

I don't blame Adama but DH has to follow through when he says the best player will be on the floor (of the night, I think overall AS is still > DC). Why did he swap Adama out for that last play of the first half? 11s to go you are looking for a block which is Clingan's realm not Sanogos. Seemed like an odd choice.

Reaction Score
Adama is a great player. He had 5 turnovers tonight and a defensive liability. Glad he’s ours, but I don’t think he will be doing a post game with Fanta tonight talking about himself in 3rd person.
Adama is not a great player. He’s a very, very good low post scorer. But his inability to pass out of a double team and defensive liability prevent him from being a great player. Quite honestly he’s been pretty one dimensional this year (low post scorer), been inconsistent and outplayed recently by Dixon, Crosswell, Nunge and Ighadora.

Reaction Score
Joey has been in an awful shooting slump. And is a poor defender. If he isn’t hitting 3s he doesn’t affect the game positively. Diarra can at least draw some fouls and plays good defense.
Joey has been unfairly labeled a poor defender. He’s not great but not poor either.

Reaction Score
Not making excuses for Adama but Soriano was not doubled at all. They just let him get his. Marquette's goal was to completely take Adama out of the game and double him every time he got the ball.
And despite getting double teamed he refused to pass the ball and turned the ball over 5 times. It’s simple, if you get double teamed find The open man. I think teams have figured out that Sanogo will not do this making the double team very effective

Reaction Score
Adama is not a great player. He’s a very, very good low post scorer. But his inability to pass out of a double team and defensive liability prevent him from being a great player. Quite honestly he’s been pretty one dimensional this year (low post scorer), been inconsistent and outplayed recently by Dixon, Crosswell, Nunge and Ighadora.
1v1 in the post, Sanogo can take on damn near anyone, I really believe that, his footwork and quickness of his move are that good. When he's doubled and tripled, he's limited by his size and passing. Even though he played like crap the other night, I was pleased to see however that he was trying to pass more often out of the double teams, he's just not very good at it (yet, I hope).

Reaction Score
Adama was horrible Wednesday. One stretch he turned it over 3 or 4 times in a row

And that's OK. Other people have to step it up. We have multiple options. Our guards sucked collectively. They have to handle the pressure better, run the offense better, AND SCORE MORE.

Hopefully they learn from this, and we can thank Marquette for that
You thought Adama was horrible but that’s OK. He was the preseason player of the year. He is the one that must step up.

Reaction Score
1v1 in the post, Sanogo can take on damn near anyone, I really believe that, his footwork and quickness of his move are that good. When he's doubled and tripled, he's limited by his size and passing. Even though he played like crap the other night, I was pleased to see however that he was trying to pass more often out of the double teams, he's just not very good at it (yet, I hope).
He is great one on one. Problem is he can’t pass and so the simple solution s double him, eliminate his one on one advantage and make the very good bet that he won’t find the open man.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
You thought Adama was horrible but that’s OK. He was the preseason player of the year. He is the one that must step up.

You're a team, he's not an island

You really don't think athletes have bad days? That's funny

Hate away, not my problem

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I won’t blame him, but I’d demand him to practice passing out of double team a day!
And a midrange jumper. That will help when he goes to post up

Reaction Score
And a midrange jumper. That will help when he goes to post up
He’s hit a few this year. Maybe an adjustment would be to start him at the high post facing the basket instead of the low post facing away.

Harder to double from the high post because he can see the floor better. He had a few possessions earlier in the year where he either shoots a jumper or does a quick spin layup from the high post

Reaction Score
Adama had a very bad game. He may not be the only reason we lost but he was a reason.

It's sports. It happens. Let's not pretend it doesn't.

Reaction Score
C clingan
F sanogo
G Joey c
G hawkins
Pg jackson

F springs( until Samson is back if 3 rd big needed)
F karaban
G newton
G alleyne
G diarra
Sub Karaban for Joey and I’d like that lineup. Problem is the bench would literally be the the 4 transfer portal guards and eventually Johnson.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He is a tremendous physical specimen with far more athleticism than most high end athletes his size. His footwork (due to his soccer background) exceeds all but a handful of college Big men that I've seen going back to the tail end of Kareem (then as Lew Alcindor) and Elvin Hayes. Where he is lacking is in overall experience. His skill level still hasn't caught up to his physical gifts and there are still instances where he is slowed by thinking about what he should be doing instead of reacting. A lot of things aren't yet second nature to him.

What we have dealt with and will still at times deal with are situations where a center with facing the basket skills and decent shooting range will be able to take him far enough out of his comfort zone that he may look bad (and at times very bad). He will learn from this.

Reaction Score
Need a fast, shifty guard that is an elite ball handler to compliment Castle.
We do in Ball plus Castle is better getting in the lane than Newton. He might not be super quick but he is quicker than Newton and definitely stronger. With Ball as the SG we will have good penetrator at that position and a lefty at that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom