OT: - Mali is the Real Deal | The Boneyard

OT: Mali is the Real Deal

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Basketball powerhouse? Mali, blew Russia out of the gym today in the U19 quarterfinals by a score of 69-47. Should Mali beat Australia in the semifinals they just might end up in the championship game against the US.

Reaction Score
Also, if Australia beats MALI , it could set up a repeat
USA Australia game in the FINALS. Another nail
biter like the one in Pool A? : 99 - 59 USA> Australia.
or could a dark horse come out of POOL D, i.e. the most
competitive Pool?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I watched some of the Mali-Russia game. Mali is long, athletic, well coached and they can shoot it. Australia will have their hands full.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Basketball is surely becoming an International Sport...I had to look up Mali to see where it is...landlocked, S of Algeria...big, but not so many people (19 mil).

If (almost) coherent BB is played there...it will be everywhere
The Mali kids outworked and tired out the less fit Russian team...
They're fit and have a decent sense of the game.
Still, we should out-athleticize (w?) them
But they'll be tough on the boards.

Reaction Score
*mali outscored Russia 24-4 in the fourth quarter
*russian Anastasia Kosu is awesome. They have her listed as 16 years old. She got 20 points and 20 rebounds against Hungary.
*Mali is physical, athletic, well coached, and play to there strengths.
*international refs are bizarre
  • I think I would just zone Mali.
  • if the US plays Mali, Betts will need to learn to keep the ball high.
*I have been impressed with both african teams. Egypt doesn’t have the talent of Mali, but they play with a purpose
*I don’t like the color of the international ball. It looks like an overcooked pretzel nugget. By the second quarter, I get hungry.

Reaction Score
Malis team has been together for sometime and interestingly half are double bottom agers who are eligible for 2023 u19 WC.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game what happened to Russia in the 4th Qtr? Were they missing easy shots as the pressure grew or was Mali's defense that good? It was a close game through three quarters.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game what happened to Russia in the 4th Qtr? Were they missing easy shots as the pressure grew or was Mali's defense that good? It was a close game through three quarters.
The Russians basically ran out of gas vs a Mali team that was far more athletic.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think it's really exciting that a country like Mali is fielding a team that has taken down traditional FIBA powerhouses like Australia and Russia. Awesome!

For those interested, highlights of the Mali-Russia game:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The NBA is currently investing millions to develop basketball in Africa, including setting up basketball camps and tournaments around the continent for both men and women. The league sees Africa potentially as a huge growth market. The NBA’s effort in Africa are being promoted by Hakeem Olajuwon, who is a legend across the continent.

Reaction Score
if Mali can play as physical as they did againt russia it will depend on how the game is called . USA shot and made well over 20+ free throws against a physical Spainish team because the officiating was honest. the Russia game almost denegrated into a street fight and Mali got away with alot of extremly physical play. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
The NBA is currently investing millions to develop basketball in Africa, including setting up basketball camps and tournaments around the continent for both men and women. The league sees Africa potentially as a huge growth market. The NBA’s effort in Africa are being promoted by Hakeem Olajuwon, who is a legend across the continent.

I know Tina Charles has worked to promote girls basketball in Africa. Is Mali one of
the countries she has worked in?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know Tina Charles has worked to promote girls basketball in Africa. Is Mali one of
the countries she has worked in?
Don’t know if Tina has been to Mali. But I am definitely impressed with the team they have brought to the U19’s.

Reaction Score
*mali outscored Russia 24-4 in the fourth quarter
*russian Anastasia Kosu is awesome. They have her listed as 16 years old. She got 20 points and 20 rebounds against Hungary.
*Mali is physical, athletic, well coached, and play to there strengths.
*international refs are bizarre
  • I think I would just zone Mali.
  • if the US plays Mali, Betts will need to learn to keep the ball high.
*I have been impressed with both african teams. Egypt doesn’t have the talent of Mali, but they play with a purpose
*I don’t like the color of the international ball. It looks like an overcooked pretzel nugget. By the second quarter, I get hungry.
Thanks
Now I know that I’m not the only person other than probably Dawn Staley that found fault with that ball

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
From what highlights I've been able to see, I'm very impressed with Mali's #3 Sika Kone, an athletic 6'3" forward who is a double-double machine.

She had 24 points and 19 rebounds in the win over Japan, and against Russia she had 19 and 11.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I watched some of the Mali-Russia game. Mali is long, athletic, well coached and they can shoot it. Australia will have their hands full.
Exactly what I said in the game thread on YouTube. I also said I didn't think either team would get within 30 points of the US team. I was impressed their u19 team from two years ago as well. For a country of only 19 or so million they've produced some really impressive young players. This team, from what I can see, seems the most competitive out the remaining lot. Hopefully this poor little country can invest more money and time into building up the skill level of their youngsters. A fun team to watch. Now that the US is investing money into African BB, how about some money going the India. That country of 1 billion is another untapped source of athletic talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom