Making Preparations for Fresno State - Need Suggestions | The Boneyard

Making Preparations for Fresno State - Need Suggestions

Reaction Score
Hello all! Interacted a bit with folks here before and after last year's Fresno State game. Am planning on making the trip out to the game this year on October 1st, and am hoping for some suggestions from you locals. Try and make at least one road game a year for my Bulldogs, always a lot of fun to go and meet opposing fans and just take in the local scene. This one sounds like the most interesting on the schedule this year. Plus will give me a chance to visit a grad school friend in the area.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some background on game day environment from you fine folks. Where is the best place to tailgate before the game? How is the tailgating scene in general? What time to folks generally start the festivities? Do people generally postgame it as well, or is it pretty much head out after the game?

Any suggested places to stay either the night before, or after the game? I think we will be driving in from my buddy's place on the Hudson in NY, but may need a suggestion for after the game, particularly if we postgame it.

Looking forward to the game this year. I think this should be a more competitive game this year. No more hundredandstupid weather to contend with. Go Dogs!!!

Reaction Score
Early October will be a great time to visit Connecticut and the New England area. Depending how much time you have I would drive up to Vermont or New Hampshire before or after the game depending and your arrival and how many days you plan on remaining in Connecticut. The leaves will be turned in by then especially up in the hills in New Hampshire and Vermont, though, it won’t be peak colors. If the weather still relatively warm you can visit the Southern Maine coastline has all the tourist will likely be gone.

Concerning tailgating. We are lucky as there is ample parking 360° around the stadium and you should have no problem whatsoever joining an existing tailgate already in progress. Most tailgating starts for hours before the game, though, there are some offsite parking lots across the street and they will likely start a little bit earlier. The tailgate and seeing around the stadium is robust with plenty of people cooking their favorite culinary delights. Walk-through the blue pass parking area as it is closer to the stadium and will have the most dedicated tailgaters. Simply where your team colors and you should be invited to join a tailgate before long. Most tailgating wraps up about an hour or so after the game.

If you’re remaining in Connecticut after the game then I would recommend staying in the Manchester area as there will be restaurants and hotels readily available.

Reaction Score
Thank you everyone for the great links! Answered almost everything I had questions about. Only thing left is a question around alcohol. One of the things we like to ship to ourselves and bring to tailgates is a case of Fresno State wine. Is tends to be a great conversation starter when we can provide a bottle of wine with the Fresno State label on it to the tailgate, as there aren't many D1 programs with their own award winning winery.

Isn't a problem at most places I have been, with the exception of Rutgers. Now that may have just been an overzealous officer in that case, but it was my last trip that far east, so I wanted to ask the locals if it would also be a problem in Connecticut?

Thanks again for all of the great tips. Go Dogs!!!

Reaction Score
Thank you everyone for the great links! Answered almost everything I had questions about. Only thing left is a question around alcohol. One of the things we like to ship to ourselves and bring to tailgates is a case of Fresno State wine. Is tends to be a great conversation starter when we can provide a bottle of wine with the Fresno State label on it to the tailgate, as there aren't many D1 programs with their own award winning winery.

Isn't a problem at most places I have been, with the exception of Rutgers. Now that may have just been an overzealous officer in that case, but it was my last trip that far east, so I wanted to ask the locals if it would also be a problem in Connecticut?

Not sure what the “problem” was but there should not be any problem here.

Always fun engaging with other schools fans. I am sure you would be welcomed at almost any tailgate party you walked up to. We have not been great lately on the field (understatement of the year) but our tailgating scene is usually pretty good and despite the fact we have a reputation of being cranky most fans are great. Hoping we get off to a good start and the atmosphere for the Fresno game is good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Best place to tailgate is the Blue Lot. Most folks there like pepband 99 would be happy to host visitors. Wine is fine in the parking lots.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

If you are trying to have the wine shipped from the winery or package store, you won't be able to. CT has some weird law against it. Wife and I were in the Finger Lakes last month and at every winery they list the states they ship to and CT is one of a handful of states that don't allow it. If you ship it yourself in a unmarked box, I have no idea if that is an issue. I just know that shipping wine won't happen here.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If you are trying to have the wine shipped from the winery or package store, you won't be able to. CT has some weird law against it. Wife and I were in the Finger Lakes last month and at every winery they list the states they ship to and CT is one of a handful of states that don't allow it. If you ship it yourself in a unmarked box, I have no idea if that is an issue. I just know that shipping wine won't happen here.
I buy wine all the time and for years to my house in CT on line and delivered by UPS. Got 6 bottles coming right now. Wonder why you had an issue.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't know but every winery said it on their list. I found this and it still doesn't seem to make sense but maybe it just direct from wineries that are out of state. I don't know.

It’s probably a licensing/permitting thing. Generally speaking I have yet to buy a wine online in the past three years they wouldn’t ship to CT from various places.

Reaction Score
That hasn't been my experience.

Reaction Score
I have had wine shipped to my house from out of state wineries. I think the issue in CT is that CT wineries aren't allowed to ship out. I've also had wine shipped to my local fedex location. This was easier because you are required to show ID. No guarantee that anyone would be home o show ID when the wine arrives.

Reaction Score
Thank you again everyone! @TMB4405 the "problem" in this case at the Rutgers game was likely just a RichardHead on a power trip. Security Guard/Local Police saw me handing out a bottle at a tailgate, came over and claimed I was "distributing without a license." Everyone at the tailgate, myself included, gave him a hard time. But ultimately it came down to me returning to my car and placing the rest of the bottles in the trunk to keep the peace. Not worth it to escalate the situation.

@pepband99 Thank you for the kind gesture! Will reach out and try to connect!

And thank you for the information on the shipping of the wine. Will probably ship to my buddy in NY, as have done that before (like the previously mentioned Rutgers game), and will be driving in from there anyway. Another option is to fly Alaska Airlines out there and take the wine with me as a checked bag. One of the unique features of Alaska is they accept cases of wine, and boxes of fish as checked items. Have to start the week with business in NYC, so that may be the best bet.

Looking forward to the game. Best of luck against Utah State this weekend, they are tough. Go Dogs!!!

Reaction Score
It’s probably a licensing/permitting thing. Generally speaking I have yet to buy a wine online in the past three years they wouldn’t ship to CT from various places.
I belong to a wine club called Naked wine and I know there are restrictions on how much wine I can buy every 60 days

Reaction Score
A lot of good, practical advice so far. I know people that live in the towns mentioned, and have nothing against them, but as someone who likes to travel a lot they're convenient but may not offer a very uniquely Connecticut feel. West Hartford center has fewer options than Manchester, but also has fewer chain restaurants. uconntailgater suggested New Hampshire and Vermont if you have time after the game, and those would be great. If you don't have time to go that far, I'd suggest the western part of CT. Anywhere in Litchfield county is really beautiful and a lot less built up than the towns around the stadium. There are lots of scenic roads, covered bridges, Kent Falls, and small wineries, which it sounds like you might enjoy. It's my favorite area in state to get out on my motorcycle. Hopkins Inn and vineyard is just an example to give you an idea. Litchfield the town is small but also has a decent number of bars, restaurants, and local ice cream. The shoreline is also nice, if less exciting than what you'd get back home in CA. Mystic has a historic port as well as a small, more modern downtown. Branford has a decent brewery on the water. Stonington has a winery on the water. Lots of options. Enjoy the planning!

Reaction Score
A lot of good, practical advice so far. I know people that live in the towns mentioned, and have nothing against them, but as someone who likes to travel a lot they're convenient but may not offer a very uniquely Connecticut feel. West Hartford center has fewer options than Manchester, but also has fewer chain restaurants. uconntailgater suggested New Hampshire and Vermont if you have time after the game, and those would be great. If you don't have time to go that far, I'd suggest the western part of CT. Anywhere in Litchfield county is really beautiful and a lot less built up than the towns around the stadium. There are lots of scenic roads, covered bridges, Kent Falls, and small wineries, which it sounds like you might enjoy. It's my favorite area in state to get out on my motorcycle. Hopkins Inn and vineyard is just an example to give you an idea. Litchfield the town is small but also has a decent number of bars, restaurants, and local ice cream. The shoreline is also nice, if less exciting than what you'd get back home in CA. Mystic has a historic port as well as a small, more modern downtown. Branford has a decent brewery on the water. Stonington has a winery on the water. Lots of options. Enjoy the planning!

This advice makes the most sense given they will be driving to the game from NY Hudson Valley area. Doesn't take them 3+ hours in the opposite direction!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm surprised no one said New Haven yet. Driving to Litchfield or Vermont after a 3:30 game seems insane to me. Too bad Infinity doesn't have anyone that night, they have strong shows on Friday and Sunday. Maybe saty downtown and go to Black Eyed Sally's post game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm surprised no one said New Haven yet. Driving to Litchfield or Vermont after a 3:30 game seems insane to me. Too bad Infinity doesn't have anyone that night, they have strong shows on Friday and Sunday. Maybe saty downtown and go to Black Eyed Sally's post game.

You say New Haven but can a central California person even find a decent pizza in New Haven?

Reaction Score
Presumably traveling to Vermont would be the day before or after the game.

Reaction Score
A lot of great suggestions in this thread, and I genuinely thank everyone who took the time to respond. Have the flights booked, and am looking forward to this matchup. Saw where you guys were competitive vs. Utah State this past weekend, which is a great sign for a potentially competitive game. We have our opener on Thursday, where it will be a cozy 108 degrees. I guess that is better than the 112 forecast for next Monday and Tuesday, but not by much.

Best of luck against Central Connecticut State, and will check in later when we get closer to game time. Go Dogs!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom