Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN)

Reaction Score
Could it be a less dramatic announcement, such as lower price for tickets?

Reaction Score
Punctuation is the difference between-

Let's eat, Aunt Sally.
and
Let's eat Aunt Sally.
Capitalization is the difference between-
Helping you Uncle Jack off a horse.
and
Helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Those were great examples but, more importantly, what's Aunt Sally look like?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Realistic hope for today:
  • Short term "show me" tv deal with SNY - 2-3 years if the money is under $1MM per year which is what I think is probably the case.
  • TV deal includes streaming component on major platform for out of market games. I think this is key as many of our recruits will not have access to SNY. This is also key for our visitors as they too will be in markets w/o SNY. A deal with ESPN+, Fox or NBC steaming would be ideal.
  • Confirmation of a bowl tie in with ESPN for various bowls.
  • Balance of the games announced for 2021...we have four empty slots.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Realistic hope for today:
  • Short term "show me" tv deal with SNY - 2-3 years if the money is under $1MM per year which is what I think is probably the case.
  • TV deal includes streaming component on major platform for out of market games. I think this is key as many of our recruits will not have access to SNY. This is also key for our visitors as they too will be in markets w/o SNY. A deal with ESPN+, Fox or NBC steaming would be ideal.
  • Confirmation of a bowl tie in with ESPN for various bowls.
  • Balance of the games announced for 2021...we have four empty slots.
  • The WBB deal was >$1M. I have to believe football will be at a million.
  • I doubt we'll hear about bowl tie-ins.
  • I doubt we'll have any kind of ongoing deal with ESPN, even just on +

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
  • The WBB deal was >$1M. I have to believe football will be at a million.
  • I doubt we'll hear about bowl tie-ins.
  • I doubt we'll have any kind of ongoing deal with ESPN, even just on +
Odds are against anything collaborative with ESPN...but I hear its not out of bounds. We'll see. To toss our football into ESPN+ for out of market would literally cost ESPN zilch if SNY/UConn are producting.

But anyway - lets see what comes. I'm not hearing good numbers about football tv $...hope to be shocked.

Reaction Score
Odds are against anything collaborative with ESPN...but I hear its not out of bounds. We'll see. To toss our football into ESPN+ for out of market would literally cost ESPN zilch if SNY/UConn are producting.

But anyway - lets see what comes. I'm not hearing good numbers about football tv $...hope to be shocked.
I would imagine the streaming component would be NBC sports as they provide the streaming coverage for out of market Mets games that are on SNY.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would imagine the streaming component would be NBC sports as they provide the streaming coverage for out of market Mets games that are on SNY.
Agreed

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They tweeted about helmets about an hour ago....wouldn't that be hilarious if it was an announcement about uniforms?

Need correct uniform before the TV announcement so they can get the promos done correctly. Don't want a new announcement with old unis.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony with the scoop....TV deal

UConn on Monday will announce an agreement with CBS Sports, which will carry four homes games in the upcoming 2020 season — if there is one — and every home game through 2023. The four-year deal comes with a pair of two-year network options that could push the agreement to eight years, through the 2027 season.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
News media running their stories - releasing at noon.

No SNY!!!

I'm not totally stunned SNY is not headling this contract. They wanted it all of it for free.

“All I can tell you is we're getting paid,” Benedict said. “We are being compensated and they're obviously covering the costs of production.”

Production costs would have fallen on UConn under the AAC-ESPN+ media contract.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

UConn on Monday will announce an agreement with CBS Sports, which will carry four homes games in the upcoming 2020 season — if there is one — and every home game through 2023. The four-year deal comes with a pair of two-year network options that could push the agreement to eight years, through the 2027 season.

>>The three 2020 games not contracted by CBS Sports are expected to be televised, with SNY the likely landing spot.

CBS Sports reaches about 55 million homes. Line that up with the ESPN+ reality (approximately 8 million subscribers) that UConn faced as a member of the AAC.

Financial specifics weren’t available but the CBS deal, which is over seven figures for the four years, will benefit UConn in ways similar to the average of deals in place for teams in conferences such as Conference USA, the MAAC and Mountain West. Every FBS game UConn plays in the life of the deal will be on linear TV. There is a possibility that the one annual FCS game will be available on a digital-only platform.

UConn expects to know the start time for every game in advance of a season, and most will be in the noon-3:30 window on Saturdays, with the likelihood for one Friday night game a year. The UConn/CBS Sports deal was done through Learfield IMG College, which holds UConn’s multimedia rights.

“All I can tell you is we're getting paid,” Benedict said. “We are being compensated and they're obviously covering the costs of production.”

Reaction Score
CBS gets 4 games for next year with the other 3 likely going to SNY. CBS then gets every home game through 2023 with an option to extend to 2027. Doesn't look like the monetary terms have been released yet.

I'm surprised this isn't SNY but it's nationwide vs regional which is huge.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Crap. Actually knowing all the game times of home games before the season starts? That isn't good for the financials of this message board. The annual rite of passage threads about unknown game times will be gone.

Basically puts UConn football on par with Navy football. Having a nationwide reach with CBSSN is good for recruiting and brings enough stability and gravitas for recruits and fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom