Maddy Siegrist is a great player and sometimes mentioned as a possible Player of the Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maddy Siegrist is a great player and sometimes mentioned as a possible Player of the Year

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Siegrist is the type of kid you look at(like Marina Mabrey or Chelsea Gray) and wonder....."how is she that good?"

Maddy has exceptional body control, great footwork, and very long arms. She is both very crafty and she has excellent touch around the basket, plus she can score in a variety of ways. She's great at methodically backing defenders down and then using her skill set to get an array of different type of shots off and her long arms allow her to shoot mid range jumpers(which she makes a lot of) with defenders in her face. She is just a very fundamentally sound player who you can tell received excellent coaching as a kid. Whoever said EDD, I can see it. She is very much Diet Elena Delle Donne.
Everyone has their opinion. Some like Siegrist and her game, some don't, and that's OK. She is the leading scorer in the country. She WILL go very high in next month's WNBA draft, perhaps #2 behind Aliyah Boston (who by the way I will be personally glad to see go).
I can't see anyone being taken in front of her. We must be aware of the fact that a lot of WNBA coaches are confident in their ability to teach players how to play defense at that level.

Siegrist would be no exception. She comes in with the ability to score in many different ways every night, just like our own Lou Lopez-Senechal. Embrace whatever opinion you have of her, BUT...................she will be a top 5 draft choice next month, she will make the cut, and I'm betting she will make the adjustment (she's very coachable) of playing in the WNBA (and overseas), and play for a long time, and become very wealthy in doing so. If a player has exceptional skill on either end of the court, they can find a place in the league. A lot of players improve once they get to the next level.

Look at Brionna Jones (Maryland/Connecticut Sun) entering her 7th year. Look at our own Olivia Nelson-Ododa also with the Sun. ONO improved enough to make the cut and stay on the LA Sparks roster the entire season. She's now entering year two. Look at UConn's Kiah Stokes. Very little offense (in the WNBA, but is a consistent double-digit scorer overseas), but is a very good defensive player who is entering her 8th year in the league. She won't vie for any scoring titles, but she guards the rim, blocks shots, and will get some rebounds for you. She just won her first WNBA championship with the Las Vegas Aces last year. This is low-hanging fruit. You don't have to be a "seer" to see Siegrist's future as a pro. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I loved watching Seigrist pump her fist last night after scored her 20th point to continue her streak of 20+ games in a season. Personally, if it were me, I would be more interested in winning the game and have the W, but glad to see her excited about her personal records....

Reaction Score
I'll be curious to see how her game translates at the next level.......
Me too. I think she’s what they call. “Tweener”. Not big enough to be a big, not quick enough to be a wing, ball handling might not be good enough to be a big guard. I expect she’ll be drafted pretty high and will stick in the W, but won’t be a star.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Siegrist is a great player and sometimes mentioned as a possible Player of the Year.
But for some reason (Can anyone guess why?) she never reaches that level when she
plays UConn.
Yes, her performances are good or vey good, but she is always “held in check” and never able to take over the game.

Probably because she’s playing UConn.

Glad I could clear the fog.

Reaction Score
Me too. I think she’s what they call. “Tweener”. Not big enough to be a big, not quick enough to be a wing, ball handling might not be good enough to be a big guard. I expect she’ll be drafted pretty high and will stick in the W, but won’t be a star.
I think you're probably right but you just never know...........sometimes those kinds of players just have the knack even if it looks like they aren't athletic enough to stick.....

Reaction Score
Maddy always finds a way to score - she just makes things happen. As others have stated, she is somewhat limited on defense, but she is defending the other team's big players and can't be too aggressive because of how much she is needed on offense. She is remarkedly self controlled, given what she is required to do at both ends of the floor.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
So, those who postulated, here are the stats for Siegrist this year against UConn (3 games) her season average (line above), her career against UConn (7 games) and her career averages. The UConn coaches have done a great job in their schemes and the players a great job in executing them. And a correction, Siegrist has NEVER been listed as a guard so sorry @Big Mick but your point is well taken.
Her 30.6 Efficiency metric places her 3rd behind Reese (34.7) and Clark (30.7). Kitley is at 25.5 and last years POY Boston is at 22.2 (Aaliyah Edwards is at 22.6).

Va Tech has played #31 SoS while Villanova has played #24, LSU #81, Iowa #13 and SC #6.

View attachment 84814
DefenseBB, I love charts and stats, so thanks for throwing this out there. That said, I cannot replicate any of your numbers for the three games Maddy played against UConn this year (other than games played). For example, Maddy's three game average against UConn is 22.7, not 14.3; her average for rebounds is 6.3, not 1.6; and so on.

Didn't even try to check your efficiency percentage for this year, because all of the other numbers seem unsupported. What am I missing? Can you double-check your figures and recompute if warranted, please and thank you?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The degree of difficulty on the shots she made was off the charts. Still scratching my head, that in the face of the great defense , how did that go in? Happy we won't play her anymore. Against a poor defense, a la Iowa, she could score 50 again.
She does what Bueckers does around the hoop. Can change her angle and use extended long arms to avoid being blocked. And it’s a super soft shot. I’ll take any player who can get 20 plus points a game even when well defended. Her teammates were no help. How many air balls or way off 3s did they have?

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
People throwing shade Maddie Siegrist's way.

FOR SHAME.

• A 6' 1" guard

That’s not true UConn was in a no foul mode and running the clock and at that point held an obvious insurmountable lead, in other words garbage time. Nobody I saw belittled her by merely stating the obvious.

You missed the point...

It's true, UCONN was running the clock and their best players were in the game.

FOr Nova, Maddie did what she always does - wants to win the game and so she scores points. She also committed her 4th foul.

Geno didn't claim victory by putting the end of the bench in the game.

SOOOOOOO - everyone was just doing their job. And, with great respect i might add.

Therefore, it was uncalled for to belittle Maddie.

In my opinion, of course.

Reaction Score
Was thrilled to watch game again. One of UConn's better, smarter games of the year. I did feel sorry for Siegrist who was very ineffective against most of the UConn players she guarded. Having to guard Edwards, Aubrey, and at times Dorka was not a fair fight. Wonder how she will do in the pros since it appeared that Azzi and Lou could also get by her at will. One of the best scorers I have seen but she didn't add much on defense.

Reaction Score
She always amazes me with the types of shots she makes—- all while wearing a loose ponytail. I don’t know how she does it, I’d be trying to fix my hair the whole game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Rebound numbers vs. UConn this season must be a typo. She had 9 last night, so that's at least 3 for the season.

Lemme add my voice as a Maddy fan. She's just so much fun to watch and doesn't call attention to herself in any way than to make me say "how'd she do that" over and over.

I'm not sure how her game will go in the W. She could be anywhere from Megan Gustafson, who took a few years to stick in the W; Bridget Carleton, who stuck immediately and has contributed in limited fashion; to Naz Hillmon, who really played pretty well in her rookie year and who could be a star. I have no doubt that Maddie will be a contributor in the next few years.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how her game will go in the W. She could be anywhere from Megan Gustafson, who took a few years to stick in the W; Bridget Carleton, who stuck immediately and has contributed in limited fashion; to Naz Hillmon, who really played pretty well in her rookie year and who could be a star. I have no doubt that Maddie will be a contributor in the next few years.
I’m pretty sure she’ll be great in the W. She’s big with long arms and strong hands, and she moves deliberately and resolutely. She’s a better fit for the pro game than Joens, who is resourceful scorer but a bit on the lumbering side. While she’s still faking and juking, Maddie will have already scored.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure she’ll be great in the W. She’s big with long arms and strong hands, and she moves deliberately and resolutely. She’s a better fit for the pro game than Joens, who is resourceful scorer but a bit on the lumbering side. While she’s still faking and juking, Maddie will have already scored.
I like Joens, but agree that Siegrist is in a whole nother league. And I agree, she had great hands, and that's a huge asset. Really my only concern is that she may be a 'tweener position-wise. But then a lot of people said that about Napheesa Collier, and I tried to dissuade them of that, so I'm now on the Maddie bandwagon. ;)

Reaction Score
Heart and fundamentals can go a long way. She has these plus some size and some athleticism. When I hear people talk about someone who is not athletic enough, it makes me think of all the specials and interviews about Larry Bird. His fellow players underestimated him, but once they got on the court with him they all saw it.
She doesn't put up 30 on UConn because Geno has a gameplan and he has the players who are athletic enough and are willing to follow it.

Reaction Score
Siegrist is a great player and sometimes mentioned as a possible Player of the Year.
But for some reason (Can anyone guess why?) she never reaches that level when she
plays UConn.
Yes, her performances are good or vey good, but she is always “held in check” and never able to take over the game.
I thought she played quite well despite the fact that she was double teamed throughout by two exceptional defensive players .... Caitlin Clark didn't look overly good when UConn beat them earlier this season, did she???? I actually prefer Siegrist as Player of the Year ....

Reaction Score
The same can be said of Clarke from Iowa. UConn has played against her three times, and kept her below her average, including a head to head game with Paige. Please correct me if I am misremembering.
I just replied with the same observation of Clarke and her less than memorable performance against the Huskies

Reaction Score
reminds me of Delle Donne at Delaware. All due respect if u take out Maddy from this team Nova wins maybe 6 games.
I think they wouldn't be nearly as good but I think the idea of only 6 wins, is really a disservice to the rest of the Villanova roster

Reaction Score
I loved watching Seigrist pump her fist last night after scored her 20th point to continue her streak of 20+ games in a season. Personally, if it were me, I would be more interested in winning the game and have the W, but glad to see her excited about her personal records....
I think she was playing for the team throughout the game and your implying that she was more interested in personal goals is totally wrong ... for her not to be conscious of the record and probably motivated by teammates to attain that goal and to achieve that goal is much more likely .... I think that her team was likely more thrilled at her getting that basket than she probably was, considering that the game was already lost .....

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Maddy is a really good player. It is sweet of so many of you who have praised her on this UCONN site.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"There is, however, an inherent challenge to becoming something more circus act than basketball player. Catch the ball anywhere near midcourt, and the crowd audibly inhales, expecting something fantastic. Drop 50 and people ask what’s wrong when you score “only” in the 20s. “I had 21 against UConn and people asked what the defense did to stop me,’’ she says with a laugh. “I was like, do you understand if you told me two years ago I’d drop 21 on UConn, I’d be the happiest kid alive?”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I see a lot of comments on what Siegrist did against UConn, but few about what she did against everyone else. The same could be said about some of the other top scorers in the country.

We won’t have to wait long to see how her game translates to the next level. The WNBA season begins in May.

Reaction Score
You missed the point...

It's true, UCONN was running the clock and their best players were in the game.

FOr Nova, Maddie did what she always does - wants to win the game and so she scores points. She also committed her 4th foul.

Geno didn't claim victory by putting the end of the bench in the game.

SOOOOOOO - everyone was just doing their job. And, with great respect i might add.

Therefore, it was uncalled for to belittle Maddie.

In my opinion, of course.
Not Geno,,,,Usually it's the losing coach who gives up first, this didn't happen as the Villanova coach kept her starters in till the end, could have suffered an injury that would cost them dearly in the NCAA's for no reason as the game was over after 3 qtrs!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom