Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Maya having a tough night; 4/16, 1/5

Reaction Score
Maya having a tough night; 4/16, 1/5
Maya just sunk the dagger - 9 point Minn lead with 1:10 left. Announcer said, "Maya has the ball. And the ball goes in the net. Maya Moore knows how to finish!"

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
When you are a shooter and you are not shooting well, what do you do? Of course, you keep shooting! Duh!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Observation: Brittany Griner is not a particularly able defender or rebounder; she's just so big and gifted that when stuff goes her way, things happen that appear positive...But the skills are not impressive.

Kiah has an effect on the game in excess of the Mercury star. She should have been defender of the year; perhaps garnering all three awards in which she showed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Observation: Brittany Griner is not a particularly able defender or rebounder; she's just so big and gifted that when stuff goes her way, things happen that appear positive...But the skills are not impressive.

Kiah has an effect on the game in excess of the Mercury star. She should have been defender of the year; perhaps garnering all three awards in which she showed.
Really like Kiah, but ... she does not have quite the same effect. I will agree that Griner did not get the fundamental coaching in college that Kiah did! :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Homer post of the year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Really like Kiah, but ... she does not have quite the same effect. I will agree that Griner did not get the fundamental coaching in college that Kiah did! :rolleyes:

Griner is often too worried about foul trouble. Before every game she says "I have to stay out of foul trouble," and I think that is causing her to be hesitant on defense, which results in her getting caught in no-mans-land. And she should absolutely have buried Brunson in the paint when Syl went to the bench in foul trouble. Once again, she is too hesitant to establish her position in fear of picking up a foul. She needs to be aggressive and live with the results. There is no need to save fouls to use to foul intentionally at the end of the game. If she would just knock some folks out of the way once or twice things might open up a little more for her down low.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Griner is often too worried about foul trouble. Before every game she says "I have to stay out of foul trouble," and I think that is causing her to be hesitant on defense, which results in her getting caught in no-mans-land. And she should absolutely have buried Brunson in the paint when Syl went to the bench in foul trouble. Once again, she is too hesitant to establish her position in fear of picking up a foul. She needs to be aggressive and live with the results. There is no need to save fouls to use to foul intentionally at the end of the game. If she would just knock some folks out of the way once or twice things might open up a little more for her down low.
I saw some serious frustration in Griner in the second half when the guards took one look at her and sent the ball around the perimeter rather than waiting a second or two as she established position - definitely an area that Phoenix misses DT. One of the reasons a player like Kiah is more effective coming off the bench is that it gives her a freedom to not worry about accumulating fouls. NY has other good options at the 4, Phoenix does not at the 5, so Griner not getting too many fouls is more important to their chance to win.
I continue to wish Griner would really extend her range for 7 feet out to 15 feet - her stroke is so smooth and she is a very good free throw shooter, there is no reason not to add that to her arsenal, at which point she becomes un-defensible with her quickness. Mulkey has some explaining to do as college was the best place for that to be added.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Homer post of the year.

Homer post of the Year?

What a joke, "Trash."
Ask some of my fans (?) from bygone days; DD and Oz, sometimes Ice and Ms Cat.
I was deemed Mr. Negative.
Have I altered my perspective...no,

just calls em like I seez em.
Go Kiah!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I saw some serious frustration in Griner in the second half when the guards took one look at her and sent the ball around the perimeter rather than waiting a second or two as she established position - definitely an area that Phoenix misses DT. One of the reasons a player like Kiah is more effective coming off the bench is that it gives her a freedom to not worry about accumulating fouls. NY has other good options at the 4, Phoenix does not at the 5, so Griner not getting too many fouls is more important to their chance to win.
I continue to wish Griner would really extend her range for 7 feet out to 15 feet - her stroke is so smooth and she is a very good free throw shooter, there is no reason not to add that to her arsenal, at which point she becomes un-defensible with her quickness. Mulkey has some explaining to do as college was the best place for that to be added.

I couldn't agree more. Phoenix is horrible about reversing the ball just as BG is getting the defender on her back. It drives me crazy! And BG has that range, she just doesn't seem to feel like she has the freedom to use it. It makes me wonder if the coaching staff discourages her from taking that shot. Call me crazy, but I would like to see her pop a three pointer here and there. Even at Baylor I frequently watched her warm up shooting the three and making a high percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom