Lynx Acquire Sylvia Fowles | The Boneyard

Lynx Acquire Sylvia Fowles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So a starting lineup of Fowles, Brunson, Moore, Augustus, and Whalen? Sheesh.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Why would Chicago make a trade that effectively ends their shot a title this year? Syl not playing at all is better than her playing in Minny, if you are a Sky fan. Atlanta made out pretty well especially if you think Gray can play.

I doubt chemistry will be an issue...health will be.

In theory you could have a starting five of Whalen, Moore, Big Syl, Simone and Brunson/Jones.

That is inconceivable.

Reaction Score
With Fowles not playing, the Sky needed someone up front, and Erika de Souza is a real force there. She is experienced, and plays with great emotion. EDD and Cappy will love playing with her. The Sky is much better with her. A very good pickup.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Augustus may be out for a while - maybe even the season... Whalen has a bum eye. Wright is out. Don't be crowing the Lynx quite yet. I want to love Sylvia's game, I just never have quite bought in - feel like she hasn't been the beast that she could be/should be. Likely she'll prove me wrong.

I kinda wish there was a Sky/Lynx game left this season.

Reaction Score
IF there are no Chemistry Issues, Lynx should win WNBA Championship.

http://lovewomensbasketball.com/201...-a-3-way-trade-involving-fowles-and-de-souza/

and you wonder why WNBA is not more popular. An article from a site named "lovewomensbasketball.com" talking about about a big trade in WNBA, and not even getting the name of some of the key players correct.

"In the trade, Minnesota receives Sylvia Fowles and Chicago Sky’s second round pick in next year’s draft. Chicago receives center Erika de Souza and Atlanta Dream gets Damiris Dantas, Chelsea Gray and Minnesota’s first round pick in next year’s draft."

HGN

Reaction Score
Looks like all 3 teams received some good value from the trade.............But the immediate payoff appears to go to The Lynx. A healthy and rested Fowles should lift The Lynx's fortune to higher ground no matter what it was before. They essentially get a 6'6 All Star post for a #1 pick next year ,and a couple of little used bench players.

De Sousa to Chicago will also help The Sky position themselves for a Playoff run. They go from no
Fowles help this season in the post to a skilled De Sousa. A positive.

The Dream effectively decided to position themselves for the future with youth and potential.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Yowza -

This will certainly make the 2nd half Lynx a very interesting squad to watch. Fowles is a huge addition (literally) - we'll see if the new scenery rejuvenates her play (= strong championship possibility) or if she doesn't fit in (conference finals appearance but no ring)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
De Souza is 33 and Fowles 29 with a history of health issues - so both the Sky and Lynx are playing for the next couple of years - though Fowles is younger, her leg issues make me doubt that she plays healthy for many more years.
I think Dantas has a lot of potential and Gray can certainly play - interesting deal and I am not sure anyone 'won' - Chicago and Lynx filled immediate needs and Chicago got something for 'nothing' as it appears Sylvia was not coming back ever.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Why would Chicago make a trade that effectively ends their shot a title this year? Syl not playing at all is better than her playing in Minny, if you are a Sky fan.

Chicago's defense was very bad. Playing Dos Santos more helped but doesn't work against bigger centers.
Tina Charles for example is a huge problem. You have to actually make the finals. De Souza gives Chicago a badly needed rim protector.

And I don't think the Lynx are unbeatable with Fowles at all.

Reaction Score
Augustus may be out for a while - maybe even the season... Whalen has a bum eye. Wright is out. Don't be crowing the Lynx quite yet. I want to love Sylvia's game, I just never have quite bought in - feel like she hasn't been the beast that she could be/should be. Likely she'll prove me wrong.

I kinda wish there was a Sky/Lynx game left this season.

MN traded Wright to Seattle for Renee Montgomery.

Reaction Score
and you wonder why WNBA is not more popular. An article from a site named "lovewomensbasketball.com" talking about about a big trade in WNBA, and not even getting the name of some of the key players correct.

"In the trade, Minnesota receives Sylvia Fowles and Chicago Sky’s second round pick in next year’s draft. Chicago receives center Erika de Souza and Atlanta Dream gets Damiris Dantas, Chelsea Gray and Minnesota’s first round pick in next year’s draft."

Lovewomensbasketball is out of Europe, and you're lucky to get it in English. That type of mistake is made all the time, all over. Doesn't make it right, but don't use it to belittle the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Chicago's defense was very bad. Playing Dos Santos more helped but doesn't work against bigger centers.
Tina Charles for example is a huge problem. You have to actually make the finals. De Souza gives Chicago a badly needed rim protector.

And I don't think the Lynx are unbeatable with Fowles at all.

I think this makes the Sky the frontrunner for the East. That was their weakness, no low post presence on either end.

Don't forget the introduction of the big body of Erika = less pounding on one EDD. Huge factor in keeping her healthy.

Ask Indiana what can happen when you make it to the finals, and everyone thinks Minnesota is going to whoop you.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Erika De Souza to Chicago is a big get. Chicago was missing a true 5 this season and she will help. It should help free up EDD and maybe push her to the 3. That could be match up nightmare for some teams

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There is a more accurate article on the trade here:

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/13325208/sky-trade-sylvia-fowles-lynx-part-3-team-deal
The player from Minnesota who was traded in addition to Dantas was Rashanda Gray, not Chelsea Gray. I'm surprised some Sun fans here didn't react to that -- Chelsea Gray plays for the Sun, and I don't think they are in any mood to trade her. She has played very well.

By the way, I am slightly (actually more than slightly) surprised that there was absolutely NO commentary on this board about the Sun's 78-77 overtime victory over Minnesota last Wednesday in Minnesota. Considering that Minny has a 12-4 record and they were playing the Sun at home, that is newsworthy. The Sun's 6-game losing streak was as disappointing as their 7-game winning streak was surprising, but the overall result at the All-Star break (a record of 8-7) is certainly better than anyone (including myself) predicted at the beginning of the season.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
By the way, I am slightly (actually more than slightly) surprised that there was absolutely NO commentary on this board about the Sun's 78-77 overtime victory over Minnesota last Wednesday in Minnesota. Considering that Minny has a 12-4 record and they were playing the Sun at home, that is newsworthy. The Sun's 6-game losing streak was as disappointing as their 7-game winning streak was surprising, but the overall result at the All-Star break (a record of 8-7) is certainly better than anyone (including myself) predicted at the beginning of the season.

Weeellllllll - the Lynx were seriously depleted...

Reaction Score

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/13325208/sky-trade-sylvia-fowles-lynx-part-3-team-deal

It might be because of a reluctance to discuss Maya's 9-32 performance and have to actually consider using a term used often here to describe players like Sugar Rodgers and Angel McCoughtry.

Reaction Score
I think Syl would have been a free agent after this season, so if Chicago didn't trade
her they would have ended with nothing at all. De Souza is considerably better than
nothing at all. It turned out about as good as the Sky could have hoped for.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It might be because of a reluctance to discuss Maya's 9-32 performance and have to actually consider using a term used often here to describe players like Sugar Rodgers and Angel McCoughtry.

Wow! That's a lot of shots. I have noticed that she shoots early in the shot clock but why wouldn't she.

Reaction Score
Atlanta seems to be looking past this season with this trade. They are last in the East, but not out of the playoff picture yet. Perhaps they think they have a shot at the draft lottery and getting Stewart?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
VAUConnFan said:

At this point in her career, Maya has earned the right to take 32 shots, especially on a day when Lindsay Whalen is injured and out of the lineup. On a normal day, she would make 13 to 15 of them, and that would have been sufficient to beat the Sun. But it wasn't a normal day, so the Sun won.

To minimize the victory by saying that the Lynx were "depleted" is to forget that the Sun are also quite depleted, missing Ogwumike, Hightower, and Kelsey Griffin. I don't recall that the Lynx had full-season injuries to any of their core group of players this year.

Reaction Score
Even with Fowles coming in she'll have to get in playing shape! but the key to the LYNX is how quick they get Lyndsay Whalen and Simone Augustus back! Mid August seems to be the time table for Augustus and Whalen may be back sooner! If Fowles gets in shape fast, she'll definitely help! Lynx, NY, and Chicago are the front runners!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

The player from Minnesota who was traded in addition to Dantas was Rashanda Gray, not Chelsea Gray. I'm surprised some Sun fans here didn't react to that -- Chelsea Gray plays for the Sun, and I don't think they are in any mood to trade her. She has played very well.

1- Summer is a super busy time and it's all I can do just to make the games.
2- While the win was MUCH needed and great to see, I couldn't see chest- beating over it when Minny had no Whalen and no Augustus.
3- Sun have lost a bunch of winable games in that streak. I felt more relief than elation when it was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom