Luxury Watches | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Luxury Watches

Reaction Score
I'm interested in getting a lower end entry level watch.

Not at a Rolex level, but ready to wear something nice. I'm thinking of a Baltic, Tag Heuer, Seiko, Tissot, Orient, Citizen, etc.

I'd like to know what the watch snobs think and thanks.

Reaction Score
To me a fine watch is a piece of art. I would, and it’s a bit risky, buy a used watch that was certified real, but that’s just me. I guess I think they built stuff better back when, not in all cases I know.
I recommend you check out Wind Vintage.............Eric is extremely well regarded in the vintage watch field, and you can be assured that anything he sells is 100% legit.......

Reaction Score
A lot of what I do or don't do is because of time and the fact I loathe shopping. If I were filthy rich I'd probably have a bunch of fine watches and a stacked wardrobe of fine business casual clothing. And I would still probably dress like this guy most of the time.

As to his watch, he was spotted with a Bremont Jaguar MKII rather than the Audemars Piguet

Axel shirts.jpg

Reaction Score
A friend of mine in high school had a collection of $200-$1800 watches because his dad did voiceovers for commercials. I’m pretty sure they paid him in watches. Just saying it’s an option…

Reaction Score
On my way home tonight I saw a billboard for Chopard watches. How are those? Look nice.

I don't own one but Chopard is very high end. Yes I'd like one.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I bought and sold a Rolex Submariner way back when. I still have a Tag Aquaracer and a Ti Breitling Aerospace that I like but virtually never wear. It's not why I don't wear them, but they both seem oddly small by current watch standards.

My wife and I got married in Schaffhausen, and I've come close to buying a classic white-face IWC Portugieser Chrono a few times (probably using the location and nostalgia as an excuse to spend too much money on a watch). But I never did, and now that I'm living in the middle of nowhere and never wearing suits (or anything even close) I just can't see spending the coin. The watch wouldn't compliment my extensive fleece and hoody collection.

That said, I'm 100% a wrist watch wearer 24/7. It's just a Garmin or an old Hamilton military field watch for me at the moment. I may still bite on an IWC some day, but who knows. Nothing else out there interests me much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Timex has some very nice $200 models. Irony is they wear out.

Those models generally use purchased movements, likely from Seiko. Their earlier attempts to develop up-market lines with their own movements never took off.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I bought and sold a Rolex Submariner way back when. I still have a Tag Aquaracer and a Ti Breitling Aerospace that I like but virtually never wear. It's not why I don't wear them, but they both seem oddly small by current watch standards.

My wife and I got married in Schaffhausen, and I've come close to buying a classic white-face IWC Portugieser Chrono a few times (probably using the location and nostalgia as an excuse to spend too much money on a watch). But I never did, and now that I'm living in the middle of nowhere and never wearing suits (or anything even close) I just can't see spending the coin. The watch wouldn't compliment my extensive fleece and hoody collection.

That said, I'm 100% a wrist watch wearer 24/7. It's just a Garmin or an old Hamilton military field watch for me at the moment. I may still bite on an IWC some day, but who knows. Nothing else out there interests me much.

I decided that I didn't need as formal a watch and I'm a diver, so the Aquatimer was the IWC for me. I was lucky enough to catch one used. Wears well with tee shirts and flannel and works with a tie and sport coat (although I rarely wear one - I did wear it to a wedding in Carmel last year)!

Reaction Score
Thanks for starting the thread, I fear I have a new obsession. mf!

Let us know what you end up getting. I don't get spending so much money on some of these watches unless the metal is worth that much and it's made out of Rhodium or some sheet.

@Kolumbo @nomar

Well, I finally settled on my watch. After buying and returning several watches cause I wasn't satisfied. I finally found my first nice watch. The microbrand Geckota Aurora Aqua Sunburst Chronotimer and I absolutely love it.

I also purchased a very nice Seiko SSB427P1 that is my every day watch. The Aqua Sunburst is for special occasions. Anyway thank you to everyone that commented and made suggestions, it really really helped.

aaf3a649-a6bc-4203-90c2-068abd8eebde_1200x (1).jpg

Reaction Score
@Kolumbo @nomar

Well, I finally settled on my watch. After buying and returning several watches cause I wasn't satisfied. I finally found my first nice watch. The microbrand Geckota Aurora Aqua Sunburst Chronotimer and I absolutely love it.

I also purchased a very nice Seiko SSB427P1 that is my every day watch. The Aqua Sunburst is for special occasions. Anyway thank you to everyone that commented and made suggestions, it really really helped.

View attachment 96253
I'm drunk but that looks really nice and I bet it tells time.

Reaction Score
@Kolumbo @nomar

View attachment 96253
Congrats! The color is awesome!

Reaction Score
@Kolumbo @nomar

View attachment 96253
Congrats! That's quite a nice watch,,,,,,,,,,you're now officially on the watch hamster wheel..........For your sake I hope you don't catch the watch addiction.......most of us watch addicts start with less expensive models which can be a good or bad thing..........if you catch the bug, you'll eventually want to trade up to the middle rung of watches but unless you have ready cash, you're going to want to trade these to get something better which isn't always easy.........I bought a bunch of watches in the $500 to $2,000 range but eventually moved up to the $5K to $12K and wished I had that initial investment back.........either way, it's a lot of fun learning the finer points of hierology which just feeds the need for even better watches......it's a sickness man!!!!!

Reaction Score
Congrats! That's quite a nice watch,,,,,,,,,,you're now officially on the watch hamster wheel..........For your sake I hope you don't catch the watch addiction.......most of us watch addicts start with less expensive models which can be a good or bad thing..........if you catch the bug, you'll eventually want to trade up to the middle rung of watches but unless you have ready cash, you're going to want to trade these to get something better which isn't always easy.........I bought a bunch of watches in the $500 to $2,000 range but eventually moved up to the $5K to $12K and wished I had that initial investment back.........either way, it's a lot of fun learning the finer points of hierology which just feeds the need for even better watches......it's a sickness man!!!!!

Thanks Charliebball. It's been lots of fun learning about watches.

The reason I got the watch was due to a person career milestone achievement. It was my way of celebrating. I have a very old bottle of wine for a bigger occasion that I hope to open one day soon.

But researching what type of watch to get has opened me to another world of truly interesting history, stories and amazing people that love everything watches.

For the moment, I'm just satisfied with buying something that I like that looks good and is made of good quality. Who knows if a Rolex or Omega is in store for me.

I know one thing, I'm going to keep working on leveling up. I love motivating myself.

My next watch will be a reverse Panda, but I have to hit some more personal goals before I start shopping for that one.

Reaction Score
Makes sense to me...........here's a reverse Panda that won't break the bank........that or an Omega Speedmaster but they will cost a couple of grand more new...........just remember, the more complicated a watch is the more likely it will eventually need repairs and you may be paying dearly for those repairs....

Reaction Score
Makes sense to me...........here's a reverse Panda that won't break the bank........that or an Omega Speedmaster but they will cost a couple of grand more new...........just remember, the more complicated a watch is the more likely it will eventually need repairs and you may be paying dearly for those repairs....

Baltic Tricompax Chrono is another personal fave in the affordable, but good quality, reverse panda market.

Otherwise @B1GEast , enjoy your Geckota. I've bought a few WatchGecko straps over the years but never looked at the watch company other than Forzo. Seems like a good GADA watch and I hope it treats you well!

Reaction Score
Baltic Tricompax Chrono is another personal fave in the affordable, but good quality, reverse panda market.

Otherwise @B1GEast , enjoy your Geckota. I've bought a few WatchGecko straps over the years but never looked at the watch company other than Forzo. Seems like a good GADA watch and I hope it treats you well!

Thanks UConn Esq. I also was considering a Baltic Panda.

There was a Forzo with a light blue dial that sold out that I really like. Thanks again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom