Luxury Watches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Luxury Watches

Reaction Score
I'm interested in getting a lower end entry level watch.

Not at a Rolex level, but ready to wear something nice. I'm thinking of a Baltic, Tag Heuer, Seiko, Tissot, Orient, Citizen, etc.

I'd like to know what the watch snobs think and thanks.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Panerai are one of my favorites and on lower end of the lux watches category.
Love my PAM. One of the ones I'm never selling. Have to go big though (45mm) or you are just messing around. I plan on wearing daily once my eyesight starts to go. Large glow in the dark numbers, yes.

Reaction Score
"Lower end entry level" can mean many things and $800, $1500 and $2500 can all meet that criteria depending on perspective.

From my perspective, if you go above $2500 you are out of the lower end entry level.

I probably should have just titled this thread nice watches instead of "Luxury"

I love just about every dial on the Seiko Presage Cocktail line watches and the blue Citizen Millennium Falcon and Black Rebel pilot with the orange band just look so much fun.

The Baltic MR01 is sweet

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good thread. Opportunity to see who on BY is actually a pimp.
I was honestly wondering if anybody still wears those things. Saw a nice 1950s era MG today, top down in the cold. I guess it’s kind of the same thing. Art and craftsmanship over function and practicality.

Edit: @B1GEast that Millennium Falcon Citizen looks great. I have a Citizen Eco Drive like that one and it worked great until I got my Apple Watch. Just get that. Can’t go wrong.

Reaction Score
I’ve had a Cartier for 40 years. Law school graduation present. Every 10 or 15 years I have to get it serviced. Like it because it’s much less common than a Rolex, which is cliche for high end NY lawyers.

But it’s totally a matter of taste. Lots of companies make good watches.

Awesome. I've always liked Cartier and its brand is going through a bit of a resurgence I feel like among the millennial crowd. I personally love and would aim for the black Santos variant ref. WSSA0039. Really like the Pasha and of course, you can't go wrong with a classic Tank or Santos.

Reaction Score
This place is pretty good. Excellent prices.

CIMG0441.JPG

Reaction Score
Very much dependent on your budget. My first luxury watch was a Tudor Black Bay 58. My next move will likely be a tier higher Omega, Grand Seiko, Cartier, etc. Or if I can somehow get a Rolex Pepsi GMT without playing Rolex games. I'm not sure how Lux Bond is with this stuff in CT.

Slightly lower than the Tudor price level you can get a great watch from Longines, Oris, Hamilton, Seiko, Mido, Rado, Nomos and many more. Check out r/watches on reddit. They have a great brand and buying guides from reference and to learn. Reddit - Dive into anything

I also have a Rado that I picked up in the Caribbean shortly before Covid. Good looking and very reliable watch for the price point.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There was an episode of the Bob Newhart Show (the one with Suzanne Pleshette as his wife) where she bought him a $10,000 watch. His response was "if you were going to spend that much money and after buying a piano, ypou had $20 left over and bought me a watch..... Well, you can't buy a $20 piano".

Similar to my belief that while it is seldom a wise investment, everyone should own at least one new car in his or her lifetime, if somneone wants to own a higher quality watch (and it makes economic sense), he or she should do it.

I own quite a few reasonably good watches (nearly 20, cost anywhere between $300 and $650 , accululated the collection over a few decades), but for more than a yer (due to the benefit through my health insurance of having a watch that counts my steps) use almost exclusively the least expensive watch in my collection.

I can speak of the benefits of the watches that retail for less than $1,000 but at this point I could also make an argument that it would have been better served owning fewer watches at a similar cumulative cost as better watches do hold their value.

Take your time making the decision. Whether it ends up being a good or bad decision will depend on the time after the purchase, not necessarily the purchase itself.

Reaction Score
If your looking to spend over $2k, I recommend taking your time and finding something you absolutely love. None of our opinions matter, it has to meet all your specific criteria.

I have a handful of expensive watches, but two months ago I bought a $60 vintage casio and you can’t take it off my wrist. It also has gotten 10x the compliments of my $7k+ watches and goes to show that value shouldn’t be the driving factor in your decision.

Here are a few of my personal favorite watches, many of which have been mentioned:
Oris Aquis - great value ~$2k, US headquarters in Wilton CT, and looks amazing with rubber and steel straps.
Omega Speedmaster - true classic and strap monster on any color leather and steel
Panerai Luminor - typically very large, but I’m drawn to the smaller 42mm they have. Very military, utility vibe and I really love the uniqueness.
IWC portuguese - classy and a reason why it’s worn by most presidents, but still not very expensive.
Rolex Sub - good entry level and seems to be a workhorse that can be worn everyday regardless of the occasion.

Good luck!

Reaction Score
Have been looking too, I just like having a regular (not digital) watch on my wrist. Didn’t want to spend a lot, ended up getting a temporary model which was Orient brand, automatic with black dial and black leather band for about $250. It keeps great time. Wish it had sapphire crystal which is scratch proof but price goes up. I think Ball makes nice watches too, might look at those. Maybe when I retire in 4 months I’ll get a much nicer watch.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Patek Philippe watches are for the big boys , very nice watches. Hope you get one

Thanks. The PP ones I like are understated. Will need to persuade Mrs. Nomar!

Btw when I said I’m not a watch guy, I didn’t mean I don’t wear them. I wear one every day. It’s why I don’t have an Apple Watch. I just meant that I don’t spend much time thinking about it and don’t notice what other guys have on. But I am enjoying reading this thread!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom