Luka Doncic Comparisons | The Boneyard

Luka Doncic Comparisons

Reaction Score
What pro players past or present, can you compare his skill set to? Somehow, something about him reminds me of Nadav Henefeld, if only in the aspect of basketball smarts. Nadav as I recall, seemed to make the right basketball play at the right time and had a high basketball IQ. I am not saying he was Doncic.

Reaction Score
What pro players past or present, can you compare his skill set to? Somehow, something about him reminds me of Nadav Henefeld, if only in the aspect of basketball smarts. Nadav as I recall, seemed to make the right basketball play at the right time and had a high basketball IQ. I am not saying he was Doncic.
Most like Magic and Larry but he's so good others will be compared to him.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I agree about the basketball smarts but Nadav was doing it as a 21-22yo college player with pro experience.

Luka is doing things at a much higher level as a 21yo NBA player.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
A slightly shorter Larry Bird comes to mind, rookie year stats:
LD - 21.2/7.8/6.0
LB - 21.3/10.4/4.5

Reaction Score
It's like comparing Vital to Lebron.
I know there is no comparison. But, there was one factor that I thought they had somewhat in common as to basketball IQ or understanding a play as it developed.

Reaction Score
My friends made fun of me for saying he would be , by far, the best player in his draft class. He’s incredible. Him and Giannis will both be top-10 players by the time they hang ‘em up.

Reaction Score
Bird is probably the best comparison. I try to picture Bird in today’s more open, less physical, 3-point focused game. He would be unstoppable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Luka is a taller, slower, better shooting, worse rebounding version of Russell Westbrook in his prime. Ball dominating stats hog who doesn’t win as often as he should. There are probably 40-50 NBA players who could put up monster numbers every night if they just wanted to fill the box score and winning was secondary. Luka is good enough to be one of the better among them, but it doesn’t mean he should do it. Last year’s conference finals are going to be the high point of Luka’s career unless he tones it down.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I know there is no comparison. But, there was one factor that I thought they had somewhat in common as to basketball IQ or understanding a play as it developed.

What about Luka’s game is high IQ?

He ran off his last #2, Porzingis, whose numbers have ticked up in Washington, while his new #2, Wood, seems to be having his numbers tick down in Dallas. Good luck getting another true star player to join the Luka Vanity Tour.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My friends made fun of me for saying he would be , by far, the best player in his draft class. He’s incredible. Him and Giannis will both be top-10 players by the time they hang ‘em up.

I don't think you are right about either of them. Giannis may be one of the Top 50 of all time, but not top 10, and his game won't age well because it is dependent on his insane speed and power, which will fade over time. He will still have a great career by the time he hangs it up and he already has a ring and has a shot at one or two more if Middleton can get healthy soon.

Luka will be right up there with Russell Westbrook, Sam Cassell, Dominique Wilkins, Glenn Robinson, Antoine Walker, Gilbert Arenas and Carmelo Anthony as players who wasted the prime of what could have been incredible careers on stats-padding. Like I said above, last year's conference finals are probably Luka's high point unless he tones it way down.

It is worth noting that he only made the conference finals last year because of a rash of injuries or players missing on other teams.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I don't think you are right about either of them. Giannis may be one of the Top 50 of all time, but not top 10, and his game won't age well because it is dependent on his insane speed and power, which will fade over time. He will still have a great career by the time he hangs it up and he already has a ring and has a shot at one or two more if Middleton can get healthy soon.

Luka will be right up there with Russell Westbrook, Sam Cassell, Dominique Wilkins, Glenn Robinson, Antoine Walker, Gilbert Arenas and Carmelo Anthony as players who wasted the prime of what could have been incredible careers on stats-padding. Like I said above, last year's conference finals are probably Luka's high point unless he tones it way down.

It is worth noting that he only made the conference finals last year because of a rash of injuries or players missing on other teams.
You lost me way before, but certainly when you put Sam Cassell and Luka in the same conversation.

Reaction Score

I’m glad you posted these asinine comments on Luka. Now I can remember your username and make sure to disregard any future garbage you spout!

Reaction Score
i actually kind of agree with @nelsonmuntz. luka is better than a lot of the players nelson mentioned (i actually think the earlier larry bird comp someone posted is pretty accurate) but he is the victim of the "helio-centric" modern nba mindset and it's going to be really hard to build a winning team around him with the way dallas has shot itself in the foot the last few years.

that being said, he is a special player and a great nba character. the "i'm tired -- i'm going to have a recovery beer" line from last night will live forever.

Reaction Score
Wilt, unofficially, had a quintuple double one night in 1968. They didn’t count blocks and steals then. He had 53 points, 32 rebounds, 24 blocks, 14 assists, and 11 steals. That’s as close as I could get to Luka.

Which is why I consider wilt to the NBA GOAT.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bird is probably the best comparison. I try to picture Bird in today’s more open, less physical, 3-point focused game. He would be unstoppable.
Bird played defense - Luka plays centerfield D to avoid fouling. I always watch him on D and just laugh at his total lack of effort - He's an offensive machine for sure but that's half of the game. He doesn't come close to Larry Bird as far as overall game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom