Loyd's cheap shot to Jefferson's head | The Boneyard

Loyd's cheap shot to Jefferson's head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the UConn-ND championship game, Loyd popped Jefferson with an elbow. Mo touched her head [to make sure she wasn't bleeding?] then ran off the court.

Moriah Jefferson is tough, disciplined, and has the heart of a champion.

The cheap shot came after Jefferson blasted by Allen, then rushed back to defend Loyd. ND called time-out. While "no one" was watching Loyd cracked Mo with an elbow. See the 1:18:25 mark of the replay tape http://uconnhuskygames.com/2014-2015-womens-basketball-game-replays/

If you have your own archive the game clock sequence runs from 6:10-5:51 in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Definitely a cheap shot, that's for sure. But, Loyd already knew she couldn't be suspended for a game next year, didn't she?

She should have told McGraw that she wanted to leave ND at halftime. That way, she wouldn't have to deal with Mo's D the second half.

Reaction Score
Watched a couple times in slow motion... Jefferson puts her hand on (grabs?) Loyd's arm. Loyd does swim move to get her arm free while they are bodying up/trying to establish position. On down swing her arm makes contact with top of Jefferson's head. Doesn't look intentional at all... and I wouldn't really call it a "cheap shot."

Reaction Score
I've been watching this chippy stuff for a couple years now. As soon as Stewie took the court, opposing players began " bumping into her " as they were passing by. Go ahead and view some film with Stewie at the line. Notice how many opposing players take advantage of an opportunity to just " walk into her ". Contact during the framework of the game is expected, but these are messages of intimidation. The officials don't put up with this activity in men's games. I'd like to see a warning assessed for the first infraction, then technical fouls. After losing a player for a game, the coaches will put an end to the nonsense !

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Basketball is sometimes a contact sport-ish happens! Bumping cutter to the basket is a well established defensive move. Doesn't make sense that Jewell was handing out cheap shots during the game and hugs after.

Reaction Score
Much as I love Mo, it didn't look like it was an intentional chap shot to me.

Reaction Score
I've been watching this chippy stuff for a couple years now. As soon as Stewie took the court, opposing players began " bumping into her " as they were passing by. Go ahead and view some film with Stewie at the line. Notice how many opposing players take advantage of an opportunity to just " walk into her ". Contact during the framework of the game is expected, but these are messages of intimidation. The officials don't put up with this activity in men's games. I'd like to see a warning assessed for the first infraction, then technical fouls. After losing a player for a game, the coaches will put an end to the nonsense !

As the old saying goes, careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

UConn players dish out just as much as they take.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Looks like inadvertent contact while trying to get in front of Jefferson and establish position. Normally, you see that kind of move when posting up. It is a bit odd that it was done on the wing by a guard, but I don't think there was anything nefarious about the play.

Reaction Score
I believe it was inadvertent as she was just about to post up Mo. It was in the heat of the battle as was the next couple of sequences down that same side of the floor following that timeout. Mo was just sticking to Loyd and you see the frustration.

In my experiences, during that timeout I'm quite sure one or more of your teammates on the bench and maybe even your coaches (some fans) even saw that and made it a point to you. All that does is fire you up even more and makes you definitely want to shut down the opposing player - and that's what Mo did.

That's the ultimate payback

Reaction Score
Huskies vs South Carolina . 12 :57 left 1st half Stewie trailing on break. Takes a cheap shot to her midsection. Our 2 experts Doris and Dave go back and talk about Stewie taking a shot. Neither one has the guts to call it for what it is. In fact I 've heard these two brag on the air about how " physical " teams are being with Stewie.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree - not what I consider a cheap shot - not dissimilar to the elbow Doty was flagged for (after the play) except that happened on-ball. I agree about the gut shot to Stewart which was completely unnecessary and not the result of actual in-game physicality. Anytime you have players in physical contact, there is the chance that a change in resistance, or just a natural basketball move can result in strong contact that was not actually intended.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
i actually think it's worse tournament time, but feel free to ask Chiney to compare her welts during the season to Stewie's! Remember all those tall players who opt for volleyball -- where they won't get beaten up every game?

Reaction Score
Basketball is sometimes a contact sport-ish happens! Bumping cutter to the basket is a well established defensive move. Doesn't make sense that Jewell was handing out cheap shots during the game and hugs after.
Bumping cutters is part of any defense. As for this case, it was obviously inadvertent and, frankly, initiated by Moriah's tough defense. I have to wonder how many of the people calling this a cheap shot have played the game.

Reaction Score
inadvertent- MO was in her grill (hee hee) - no space to swing arm - nobody made a big deal about it, why should we?
Everyone who plays at this level has bruises. tempest in a teapot IMHO

Reaction Score
Nahhh. I had no problem with Loyd's play- hard, clean and aggressive. I like that. I did, however, have a problem with Reimer constantly pushing, shoving and elbowing Morgan and Kaleena when they went after rebounds in the paint. They were constantly looking for foul calls, but the refs swallowed their whistles all game long, for both sides. Reimer is a very chippy, 747-physiqued player whose game borders on dirty. I attribute a lot of it to her lack of foot speed and the accompanying frustration in getting beat to so many balls.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nahhh. I had no problem with Loyd's play- hard, clean and aggressive. I like that. I did, however, have a problem with Reimer constantly pushing, shoving and elbowing Morgan and Kaleena when they went after rebounds in the paint. They were constantly looking for foul calls, but the refs swallowed their whistles all game long, for both sides. Reimer is a very chippy, 747-physiqued player whose game borders on dirty. I attribute a lot of it to her lack of foot speed and the accompanying frustration in getting beat to so many balls.

Talk about a cheap shot :rolleyes:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It's been over a week. We won the game. One of the players involved doesn't even play college basketball anymore.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long offseason.

Aren't they all!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Ironically, up until recently, the common fan complaint about Reimer was that she played too soft, too "nice".

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ironically, up until recently, the common fan complaint about Reimer was that she played too soft, too "nice".

Honestly...... I wish their was more "chippiness" in today's game. That would make things alot more exciting.....

Reaction Score
Something else to notice on the offensive possession just before that. Tuck made a nice move to roll to the hoop and Kia Nurse didn't pass it to her. Maybe that will be something she improves on. I notice many times where she doesn't make the pass in to the post.

Reaction Score
WCBB is becoming a lot more physical.........UCONN can dish it out, as well........

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
WCBB is becoming a lot more physical....UCONN can dish it out, as well...

To paraphrase the former UColorado football coach Dan Hawkins...

Its Division I WCBB....... if you cant handle physical play.... go play intramurals sista

or something like that:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01