Love this team no matter what | The Boneyard

Love this team no matter what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
Its has been a great thing to be a UConn fan for my entire life, being born in 1995. Following the teams, learning about the players, enjoying the wins, and suffering through the loses has been a part of my life since I can remember. I was always proud to be born with blue blood.

This year was different for me.

I'm not sure if it is the case with most diehard college fans, but being a freshman at UConn this year made the whole season so much better. Its a much closer connection to the players; seeing them around campus, in my classes and talking to them makes it a much different experience to be a fan. You realize what they go through everyday, still have the energy and pride to go out to compete and win for the fans, the students, the university, and the state.

I'm glad this was the first team that gave me that experience.

We couldn't have asked for a better group of guys to lead us into the Sweet 16 and further; the selflessness, enthusiasm, pride, and brotherhood that is seen in this team is awesome. By no means am I calling this the end, but I want to take a minute to appreciate these guys for making my freshman year 10x better, they will always be a special team and another reason why I love the Huskies so much.

Now let's win the whole damn thing.

Reaction Score
Its has been a great thing to be a UConn fan for my entire life, being born in 1995. Following the teams, learning about the players, enjoying the wins, and suffering through the loses has been a part of my life since I can remember. I was always proud to be born with blue blood.

I'm not sure if it is the case with most diehard college fans, but being a freshman at UConn this year made the whole season so much better. Its a much closer connection to the players; seeing them around campus, in my classes and talking to them makes it a much different experience to be a fan. You realize what they go through everyday, still have the energy and pride to go out to compete and win for the fans, the students, the university, and the state.

We couldn't have asked for a better group of guys to lead us into the Sweet 16 and further; the selflessness, enthusiasm, pride, and brotherhood that is seen in this team is awesome. By no means am I calling this the end, but I want to take a minute to appreciate these guys for making my freshman year 10x better, they will always be a special team and another reason why I love the Huskies so much.

I can relate to you. I was a Junior during the dream season and what a magical year it was. No matter how good things have been since then I feel like no season will ever compare to that season as that truly to me was the birth of what UConn basketball is today. Will always have fond and magical memories of that year and how special things were on campus.

Reaction Score
I have the same exact feelings as a freshman this year, too. I haven't known an era where UCONN basketball wasn't a top 5 program in the country. But, at the same time, I never cared this much until this year. Being on the campus, truly being a part of a blue blood program, and watching this team from a first person POV has made this year absolutely incredible. Having all this has made my first year of college all the better (along with Carriage ;)).

Reaction Score
I agree. The thing is, I think it will get better no matter what and we will see a resurgence in dominance like we previously had from 96-2006

I mean I know this is great and all, and a Elite 8, maybe Final Four would be amazing

But next year? Purvis is a stud, Hamilton is a stud, Lubin adds to the front court with an improving Brimah and Nolan. Still have Daniels and Boat, plus Cassell Jr, TSam, Facey, some serious talent in cupboards plus 2015???? Maybe a couple of championship type runs in the near future

Reaction Score
I agree. The thing is, I think it will get better no matter what and we will see a resurgence in dominance like we previously had from 96-2006

I mean I know this is great and all, and a Elite 8, maybe Final Four would be amazing

But next year? Purvis is a stud, Hamilton is a stud, Lubin adds to the front court with an improving Brimah and Nolan. Still have Daniels and Boat, plus Cassell Jr, TSam, Facey, some serious talent in cupboards plus 2015???? Maybe a couple of championship type runs in the near future
You never know what next year could bring, so just enjoy now. Speaking from experience of being in school for both 2011 and 2012.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
onlyjust.jpg

Reaction Score
true, but it's about time we start becoming a force YEAR after YEAR after YEAR again, 94-95-96? 98-99, 02-03-04

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
true, but it's about time we start becoming a force YEAR after YEAR after YEAR again, 94-95-96? 98-99, 02-03-04
We just lost our HOF coach, a lot of talent to NBA/transfer, got put in a disrespected conference, with a second year coach and we find ourselves looking at an Elite 8 berth, we'll be fine.

Reaction Score

It's somewhat taboo around here, but you're right.

From 1994 through 2006, or maybe 2009, we were a top-10 team, 1/2 seed, dominated our conference (regular season and postseason), and in the national title discussion, I would say more than 70% of the time.

That sort of can't-ignore-us relevance on a yearly basis is what we have to strive for, and have been lacking at times over the last 5 years.

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score

From 1994 through 2006, or maybe 2009, we were a top-10 team, 1/2 seed, dominated our conference (regular season and postseason), and in the national title discussion, I would say more than 70% of the time.

That sort of can't-ignore-us relevance on a yearly basis is what we have to strive for, and have been lacking at times over the last 5 years.
I'd take the ring we got over the past 5 years than "not being ignored" anyday.

Reaction Score

Without a doubt. The big thing was our regular season performance went way down hill. We became one of those powerhouses that under-achieved. Our last four years in the Big East we were 34-38 in the regular season, that's crazy. We didn't win a single BET game from 2006-2010. We also had the two most disappointing seasons in the Calhoun era in 2010 and 2012.

The golden era for UConn basketball was definitely 1994-2006. I hope we get back to that level of dominance soon. I also love that we've had two FF's and a national title in the last five years and we're complaining - but we definitely aren't where we were '94-'06.

Seriously, thank the lord for Kemba because everyone would be saying we're a has-been by now if we didn't win it all in 2011.

Reaction Score

I was pretty much got blasted what

I was blasted by businesslawyer for pretty much saying the same as you in your :(

Reaction Score
I can relate to you. I was a Junior during the dream season and what a magical year it was. No matter how good things have been since then I feel like no season will ever compare to that season as that truly to me was the birth of what UConn basketball is today. Will always have fond and magical memories of that year and how special things were on campus.

I was born and raised in CT, die-hard fan for as long as I can remember (family started watching years before the championship happened. Graduated HS in 2000 and only had 1 school on my list. I was thoroughly overjoyed when Ben and 'Mek got the 2004 championship while I was there.

Jealous of all the young kids going now who get to witness the rebirth of a powerhouse and our return to national awareness. Don't call it a comeback world, we won it 3 years ago

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Man you guys are a tough sell. Like someone else said. I could repeat our last 5 years for eternity and be perfectly happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom