Love / Hate For UConn vs BC @ Fenway.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Love / Hate For UConn vs BC @ Fenway....

Reaction Score
On NESN they show a half a dozen ads for this per game but never mention the team's. Each school has a maybe 2 second highlight and then they flash the logos at the very end. It's very strange. I wonder if it's a contractual thing.

NESN and the Red Sox are promoting three games not just the BC-UConn game. Not enough time to mention all six teams.

Reaction Score
Has there been any more news on the game day setup for the game? Heard/saw some things awhile back about perhaps using Yawkey Way as a UConn 'tailgate' site... or taking over certain other areas/bars around Fenway..

Reaction Score
Has there been any more news on the game day setup for the game? Heard/saw some things awhile back about perhaps using Yawkey Way as a UConn 'tailgate' site... or taking over certain other areas/bars around Fenway..
Haven't heard anything, though that'd be a tough one to since Yawkey is a main point of entry for fans going to the game, so to shut it off might cause some foot traffic problems and/or other things the city might object to. Bars are the best bet pregame. Don't try and tailgate in a parking lot with anything other than some beers in your hand, the cops will knock that down in a heartbeat - tailgating is very, very strictly forbidden in lots around Fenway.

Reaction Score

As an FYI and unless something as changed recently regarding capacity availability - @Ryan Phalen (who does a great job running no hassle UConn road trips through his company College Football Travel) has multiple options for the game including a "tailgate only" option for his event that will be held @ Lir (Irish bar on Boylston St.). Details here: @ CFB Travel

Reaction Score
The Big Ten is watching us. UConn fans packing a stadium in Boston would only help. Big time. They know of our reach into New England and want to see it happen.
Packing a stadium with less capacity than the Rent and fewer seats than were sold at BC last year (with BC giving away tickets to the game) is not really something anyone would watch and move the needle for the B1G. They have all of the TV information they need about where and where not Uconn has an impact.

Sell out the Rent every game, have 10k plus that travel to every road game, win the conference championship and put up bigger numbers than any other school in the AAC on TV, that gets noticed. Beating a team that has a strong potential to be sub-500 in a small stadium means nothing. The only way this gets noticed in Boston is if somehow both teams are on the cusp of 8+ wins. Otherwise it will be buried deep in the Boston sports pages because the news will be the Pats in Mexico City.

Reaction Score
As an FYI and unless something as changed recently regarding capacity availability - @Ryan Phalen (who does a great job running no hassle UConn road trips through his company College Football Travel) has multiple options for the game including a "tailgate only" option for his event that will be held @ Lir (Irish bar on Boylston St.). Details here: @ CFB Travel

Email update (to those that are subscribed to my mailing list) and Boneyard post coming today to formally announce the tailgate only option...

Reaction Score
The game is late in the season and unless BC is having a very good season there will be very little interest in this game in Boston.

This is not going to be an annual game unless we offer to play 2 out of 3 at BC, which we are not going to do. We have 2 games left with BC and no games scheduled beyond that. I have not heard any talk of playing BC every year.

Reaction Score
We did not have 15k at BC last year, lucky if we had 5k all of whom sat on their hands the whole game. If we had 15k the game would have sold out.

Reaction Score
We did not have 15k at BC last year, lucky if we had 5k all of whom sat on their hands the whole game. If we had 15k the game would have sold out.
There were more than 5K there. UConn's crowd in Chestnut Hill rivaled any of the ACC teams I've seen come in there. Of course, proximity plays a role in that comparison, but nonetheless the turnout was very solid considering how bad our team was.

Reaction Score
There were more than 5K there. UConn's crowd in Chestnut Hill rivaled any of the ACC teams I've seen come in there. Of course, proximity plays a role in that comparison, but nonetheless the turnout was very solid considering how bad our team was.

Clemson? UConn was not even close to what they brought.

Reaction Score
There were two bad teams playing that day, it was record warmth for the day and BC was giving every season ticket holder two free tickets to the game. If Uconn fans bought even 5k tickets, there would have been no tickets to give away that day. I watched someone walk up to the giveaway table and asked for 6 tickets and received them free with no questions asked (4 went to Uconn fans). I can guarantee that Clemson, FSU and Lville all brought more fans. Those teams have no less than 5k at any road game. Those schools never return their ticket allotments to any away game.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the financial benefit of playing this game in Boston. Maybe I don't know all the details but it seems to me that giving up a home game for a payment of 1.2 million is basically a wash. If we drew 30,000 for the game at an average ticket price of $40 that would equal 1.2 million. Please tell me there is some other revenue stream I am overlooking.

UConn does not have the game day expenses of staffing up the joint, etc

Reaction Score
Clemson? UConn was not even close to what they brought.
I didn't go to the Clemson game this year, but have been to two in the past. Probably not the best representation to judge turnout when the team is a national title contender. Clemson games at BC in the mid-2000s when they were just meh were on par or below UConn's turnout. The same for VT, NC State, and UNC - all of whom I've seen on multiple occasions at BC. The only games that stick out (that I've been to) where road attendance was incredibly strong was FSU's first game there in 2005 and USC in 2014, more considering how far away they're coming from. I'm sure ND, Clemson recently, and other FSU games brought huge crowds but that's not really who 3-9 UConn should be compared to. I've also seen Northwestern, UCF (CUSA days), and Wake there and none held a candle to any of the aforementioned schools, UConn included.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom