Lou's Best Game? | The Boneyard

Lou's Best Game?

Reaction Score
I can't remember Lou playing such an all-around game. The stats may show me wrong, but boy she seemed to be everywhere (and nowhere). By nowhere, I mean it wasn't a "Lou scores 24" game. She was grabbing rebounds, aggressive in the paint, tenacious D, had some awesome assists, and oh yeah, scored a bunch of points. I thought it was her most complete game. And her "thumbs down" in the background of the Kia-Geno duet was priceless!

Reaction Score
I can't remember Lou playing such an all-around game. The stats may show me wrong, but boy she seemed to be everywhere (and nowhere). By nowhere, I mean it wasn't a "Lou scores 24" game. She was grabbing rebounds, aggressive in the paint, tenacious D, had some awesome assists, and oh yeah, scored a bunch of points. I thought it was her most complete game. And her "thumbs down" in the background of the Kia-Geno duet was priceless!

Can't say if this was Lou's best game but her impact was obvious. She was certainly everywhere and doing every thing in last night's game and the best thing about it was that it meshed flawlessly with the other starters who were also doing every thing and filling the stat lines.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great post!
While I'm not sure it was her best game, what it does demonstrate so clearly is what many have already noticed, that Lou has improved her game enormously. She now takes equal joy and emphasizes all aspects of the game - passing, defense, rebounding, setting and using picks. One never had to wonder about her shooting.
Also she has seemingly taken on a leadership role along with our two amazing seniors.
The only thing I'd still like to see if and when they are in a tough, close, meaningful game is to step up (if the need be) and take control. It is all that separates her from DT, MM & Stewie. She so enjoys being a part of all the teamwork and comraderie that it might be in direct contradiction to who she is.
I am sure though that she will only continue to improve.
She also brings what appears to be a light, fun side to things although she is so darn tough too.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I thought she had a very good game and was surprised by the lack of bad-ass support. I voted for all 4 of our AA candidates, they all had very good to great games. Since this is a Lou thread let me spread a little more love on her below:

Also, I know some folks disagree, but remember that 90% of the time she is the opposing coaches #1 player to stop/focus although with UConn there are various #1 targets. To put in it in perspective, how many times is the defense giving her 5 feet at the key like Gabby when she shoots outside the paint? Or how many WIDE Open 3s does she get that Kia consistently seems to see?

My point is she seems to have to fight to get her looks/shots more than most of the other players and thus opens up the offense up more than others. Just listen to Geno's comments about when Lou is off the floor. Lastly, her passing is as good as anyone else on the team (total assist is not the only factor.) Take into consideration inbounding, how fast the ball moves out of her hands (hockey assists,) and the fact she leads in Assist / Turnover ratio. Taking care of the ball (bad passes) is part of it too.

Reaction Score
I absolutely love Lou. I do not think she receives the credit she deserves. Just as I don't think KML received the credit she deserved... it must be a post Diana Cali thing... lol. Just kidding.

But in all seriousness, Lou is just unbelievable. The talent she has, the length, on both ends. She is a spark plug. I would love to see her have a game like she did last year where she goes 10-10 from behind the arc. I would love to see her go off for 40 some night. I just want to see her have that one game where everyone just sits there and the only thing they can say is "WOW".

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Lou was really good last night. As I recall, her six first half hoops included a back door cut, a three off an inbounds play behind a Collier screen, layup from the left side, 17 footer on a curl around the key, breakaway layup courtesy of the magnificent Gabby Williams, and a pretty amazing reverse layup over Wilson.

If that isn`t an impressive and varied offensive arsenal, I don`t know what is.

Second half a bit more subdued, a couple of threes but both noteworthy. One from the corner stopped a 12-0 run that had given the sellout crowd some reason to get involved. The second was a brilliant fake, move left, step back three, reminded me a bit of her idol Larry Bird. Missed a couple of wide open looks late in the game but I don`t think she came out at all the first three quarters. I`m glad she took 18 shots - we need her to look for her offense every night.

I was actually surprised at how passive South Carolina`s defense was. I was at the game at Gampel last year and Lou was pushed, bumped, grabbed, and even punched or elbowed to the gut. Thankfully, didn`t see any of that stuff last night. They got steamrolled and didn`t seem to put up much of a fight.

She also rebounded very well, eight in all, and some great passes - really a phenomenal "long distance" passer, hit Kia in stride on one of those, and a beautiful pass to Napheesa rolling to the hoop. It looked like her role on defense was to not guard her player closely but to slough off in the middle and make things hard for their bigs. Wilson 4 for 18, I guess the strategy worked! Also picked up a charge early on Cliney and there was another that could have been called on Wilson, but of course the refs weren`t about to do that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing she was every where
She was everywhere, in particular doing all the dirty work under the defensive boards. Never have seen her be so physical. In most games she would have been flying out for fast breaks-impressed she gave up points for rebounds. Not a strength, but they needed her rebounding last night and for the most part, Lou came through.

Reaction Score
Our four upperclassmen are da bomb, and that was on full display last night!

There are five upperclassmen, all of whom are in the Final 10 at their designated positions for the WBCA awards. Z is not Jello.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
The SC game was a good display of how well-rounded a BB player Lou had become. People frequently talk about a player's sophomore leap, but as impressive as Lou's sophomore leap was last season, I'm far more impressed by her junior leap this season. Didn't Geno said a few months ago that no one on the team can stretch an opponent more than Lou? Coming from Geno, this is high praise indeed.

That said, I'd still like to see Lou improve in two areas: offensive rebounding and blocking. At 6'3'', Lou's physical height should be sufficient to allow her to excel in both--if only she could sharpen her instincts to go after both. If she can do this, then I think she would be a legitimate candidate to be on UCONN's GOAT first team.

Reaction Score
...That said, I'd still like to see Lou improve in two areas: offensive rebounding and blocking. At 6'3'', Lou's physical height should be sufficient to allow her to excel in both--if only she could sharpen her instincts to go after both. If she can do this, then I think she would be a legitimate candidate to be on UCONN's GOAT first team.

Hmm, Lou is already a legitimate candidate to be on UConn's GOAT first team!

I could give two hoots if she improves her offensive rebounding (although I'm sure she will). It's more than adequate and that's good enough for me. Your shot blocking request is extremely puzzling? Lou is NEVER going to be a shot blocker! That's not where her strength and value to the team lies, not even close.

What she can (and undoubtedly will improve) is shot selection and a higher percentage of made lay-ups. Lou has a tendency to shoot 3s (and some jump shots) without first squaring her shoulders, setting her feet, and shooting in rhythm. If and when she does that, she rarely misses.

Reaction Score
The SC game was a good display of how well-rounded a BB player Lou had become. People frequently talk about a player's sophomore leap, but as impressive as Lou's sophomore leap was last season, I'm far more impressed by her junior leap this season. Didn't Geno said a few months ago that no one on the team can stretch an opponent more than Lou? Coming from Geno, this is high praise indeed.

That said, I'd still like to see Lou improve in two areas: offensive rebounding and blocking. At 6'3'', Lou's physical height should be sufficient to allow her to excel in both--if only she could sharpen her instincts to go after both. If she can do this, then I think she would be a legitimate candidate to be on UCONN's GOAT first team.
I agree completely!
I'm pretty sure that might be her focus after this season. If she can accomplish those things with some consistency she will be a shade behind Stewie and that is a special place to reach!
Bronx23

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Hmm, Lou is already a legitimate candidate to be on UConn's GOAT first team!

I could give two hoots if she improves her offensive rebounding (although I'm sure she will). It's more than adequate and that's good enough for me. Your shot blocking request is extremely puzzling? Lou is NEVER going to be a shot blocker! That's not where her strength and value to the team lies, not even close.

What she can (and undoubtedly will improve) is shot selection and a higher percentage of made lay-ups. Lou has a tendency to shoot 3s (and some jump shots) without first squaring her shoulders, setting her feet, and shooting in rhythm. If and when she does that, she rarely misses.

My observation has little to do with where Lou's strength lies; but rather with her not realizing as yet the full potential of her physical attributes. I would never require of Sue--surely someone already on the GOAT first team--to be good at shot blocking, but Lou has the requisite body frame to be great at both rebounding and shot blocking.

One wow factor when watching Stewie play is, besides her phenomenal talent level, her ability to exploit her physical attributes to the fullest extent. I do not yet get the same feeling when watching Lou play, although I think she is as talented as Stewie.

Reaction Score
My observation has little to do with where Lou's strength lies; but rather with her not realizing as yet the full potential of her physical attributes. I would never require of Sue--surely someone already on the GOAT first team--to be good at shot blocking, but Lou has the requisite body frame to be great at both rebounding and shot blocking.

One wow factor when watching Stewie play is, besides her phenomenal talent level, her ability to exploit her physical attributes to the fullest extent. I do not yet get the same feeling when watching Lou play, although I think she is as talented as Stewie.

In order to block shots, one basically must be positioned in or around the key. If you actually watch these games and her movements on the court, you'd know that Lou is rarely in the defensive key when shots are being taken there. Why? Because she's not a post player and her defensive assignment rarely (if ever) requires her to be one. She is generally assigned to guard a wing player whether playing man or zone defense. That was not the case for Stewie who is at least one (1) inch taller, considerably stronger, and most importantly has a wingspan of slightly over 7'.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom