Louisville vs Miss. State (pick it) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville vs Miss. State (pick it)

Louisville vs Miss. State (pick it)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
It comes down to who has a better game... Fuehring or Schaefer. I see those as the wild cards. I'm guessing Schaefer has a career game and State wins. I also hope I am wrong.

Schaffer's shots in the Oregon game cam late and with defensive lapses...Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget Walz's game plan stifling Britney Griner in the Final Four (with a team that we ran roughshod over in the Championship game). McCowan is no Griner. Louisville to Waltz (sic.) on through to the Championship.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
MSU wins this one easily by 15-20. McCowan is too big and strong inside, Vivians and Schaefer are lights out from the outside, William is a floor general, and MSU plays great team defense.
Im with you

Reaction Score
L’ville’s wild card is Jasmine Jones slowing down Victoria Vivians. Jones is the Cards best on ball defender and defensive stopper. Vivians is Miss St best scorer. That’s good for L’ville.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd love to see a rematch with MS in the NC game. Gulich is a far more polished post at 6'5 than McGowan who really likes to just plant herself under the rim. Who is going to be assigned to guard Durr ? I think she is due. The Hines-Allen Vivians matchup should be terrific. Louisville has really cranked up their defense, but can they get to the glass? Pace of game will be key. At some point McGowan will have to go to the bench either because of pace of game or foul trouble. MS just isn't as good with her on the bench, but will Louisville be able to shut down Vivians when that happens ? As of right now oddsmakers are saying MS by 2 points. I think SEC is overrated as usual. I like Louisville in a close very physical game, right down to the wire.

Reaction Score
Let's see how Louisville plays their first tournament game this year outside of the state of Kentucky. Ro Johnson is an excellent defensive player so she will defend Durr...also MSU plays excellent team defense. MSU is on a mission to win it all just like they should have won it all last season so of course they will beat Louisville...no doubt about it :)

Reaction Score
L’ville’s wild card is Jasmine Jones slowing down Victoria Vivians. Jones is the Cards best on ball defender and defensive stopper. Vivians is Miss St best scorer. That’s good for L’ville.
The question is, with Vivians playing more of a 4 this year will Jones really be guarding here that much or will Hines- Allen ? How much will MS need Vivians on the perimeter ?

Reaction Score
VV is a born scorer...noone can stop her. I also don't think Louisville will be dicipline on defense meaning Blair could get several wide open looks from three and if that happens....oh boy :)

Reaction Score
Dangerfield was there. Even with Gabby contested the shot she burned us.
Not that it will happen again but if it will then I would double up on her to force the ball out of her hands. Because.....Because....
Actually, it's quite alright if she does it a buzzer-beater again, because it won't matter ...they'll be down by at least 20 at that point. :) :D :cool:

Reaction Score
Actually, it's quite alright if she does it a buzzer-beater again, because it won't matter ...they'll be down by at least 20 at that point. :) :D :cool:
Javaman. You're right it won't matter because MS st probably will not get by Louisville.:eek:

Reaction Score
The question is, with Vivians playing more of a 4 this year will Jones really be guarding here that much or will Hines- Allen ? How much will MS need Vivians on the perimeter ?
Dang, that’s a very good point. They try to use Jones on the best offensive player whenever they can. I’d rather have Jones play Vivians than Hines-Allen but there’s no where else to put her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
VV is a born scorer...noone can stop her. I also don't think Louisville will be dicipline on defense meaning Blair could get several wide open looks from three and if that happens....oh boy :)
Vivians is a terrific scorer. She will be even better when she gets better ball handling and develops a left hand. She’s made great strides and is playing with a lot of confidence. She used to have tunnel vision. She still has loads more potential to her game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope you’re wrong but you may be onto something there

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I voted for LV. Strictly with my heart. I'd rather play LV than MS. Not saying we couldn't beat MS, just that I think LV would go down a lot easier and smoother than MS. LV does not have a massive 6'7" 20/20 player in the post.

I want to see UConn raise that 12th NC trophy high in the air after the game like it's the first time. I don't care who they have to beat to do it!!! It would be poetic justice if UConn were to defeat MS the second time around for the NC. THAT would put a nice little bow on on the end of their run for the 2018 NCAA Tournament championship, and close out the season for the Huskies quite nicely, thank you. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For Louisville to win they have to stop McCowan from getting the ball down low and keep her off the offensive boards. If they can do that I think they can win. If not than it will be up to us to stop her. I would rather play MS. Lets not leave any doubt who is no. 1

Only one team will win six games in this tournament. THAT team will be the unanimous #1 team in the country and for the tournament!!! ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
MSU wins this one easily by 15-20. McCowan is too big and strong inside, Vivians and Schaefer are lights out from the outside, William is a floor general, and MSU plays great team defense.

I think Mississippi State wins but it could be close. McCowan has been on a tear and I don’t see any of Louisville’s bigs being able to compete with her for rebounds if they call it close. She’s just too big and strong.

If Mississippi State perimeter players shoot well, it’ll be a long night for Louisville. Anything Johnson or Schaefer can contribute will be huge. Obviously Vivians has to lead them like she has all year.

For Louisville, I think their best bet is to go hard at McCowan inside with Hines-Allen and try to draw early fouls, then run several screens for Durr who can make threes off the dribble. If Asia gets hot, they can win.

Overall though, I think Mississippi State has been far more consistent all year than Louisville when it comes to effort and execution, so I think their teamwork prevails. They also play really solid defense, so I don’t see Durr exploding on them. I also like Schaefer>Walz so I’m going with Mississippi State by 8-10.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd love to see a rematch with MS in the NC game. Gulich is a far more polished post at 6'5 than McGowan who really likes to just plant herself under the rim. Who is going to be assigned to guard Durr ? I think she is due. The Hines-Allen Vivians matchup should be terrific. Louisville has really cranked up their defense, but can they get to the glass? Pace of game will be key. At some point McGowan will have to go to the bench either because of pace of game or foul trouble. MS just isn't as good with her on the bench, but will Louisville be able to shut down Vivians when that happens ? As of right now oddsmakers are saying MS by 2 points. I think SEC is overrated as usual. I like Louisville in a close very physical game, right down to the wire.

McCowan is well conditioned, she can play long minutes and gets up and down the floor well. She also rarely gets into foul trouble—the SEC tournament game was an exception. She’s not going to get breakaway layups outrunning opposing teams, but she isn’t slow up the floor.

Pace of game has to be advantage Mississippi State because of Williams and Holmes. They just don’t get rattled nor do they turn the ball over. William will play at her pace the whole game like she’s done all year and did in the UCONN game last season.

Also, Vivians really hasn’t been shut down all year, she’s been very consistent. She’s also one of the most gifted offensive players in the country. She can beat you off the dribble, score in the open court, moves well without the ball and has exceptional range and needs little time to get her shot off. I’m not sure who Louisville has that can handle all of that.

Reaction Score
Unless Louisville plays like they did in the first Notre Dame Game they will lose!

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I'm a vengeful person, and I want a rematch with Miss State. I felt bad for how we embarrassed the Lady Cocks, and left them butthurt. On the other hand, I would love if we faced Miss State and this time showed the Lady Bulldogs what UConn basketball is all about.

2016 made it very clear what UConn Bball is about. No need for another harsh lesson :confused:.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I'll never forget Walz's game plan stifling Britney Griner in the Final Four (with a team that we ran roughshod over in the Championship game). McCowan is no Griner. Louisville to Waltz (sic.) on through to the Championship.

And Vic is no Mulkey.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I picked MSU for obvious reasons. The game's a toss up on paper to me.

Two things must happen for MSU to win... 1) McCowan has to stay out of significant foul trouble and play 34+ minutes without being hesitant because of fouls. 2) MSU's outside shots need to be falling at a reasonable percentage.

If that happens, I think MSU is probably 65% to win. Louisville is good. Durr is the kind of player who can will her team to a win. Vivians is the same. It should be a great one.

Reaction Score
MS State has a shot at ending 3 of Louisville seasons with a loss within 3 months.
Football Taxslayer Bowl 31-27 State
Men's NIT Tournament 79-56 State
WBB Final Four - TBD

Louisville fans are going to be hating on State if they make it 3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom