Louisville hosts top recruiting targets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville hosts top recruiting targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I like Jeff. He's candid and has a sense of humor. Being an assistant at Maryland in 2006 gave him a taste of an NCAA title. But what I keep reminding my Terp fan friends is that 2006 was a down year for UConn (and Tennessee).

In terms of our next coach, I think I'd be ok with Jeff, though I prefer someone with UConn experience. I think Marissa would be great. My first choice, though, is someone who sems to be interested in broadcasting more than coaching--Sue Bird. Or she could be the Associate Head Coach to the wise-ass in Phoenix. Geno and CD redux. :)

So what if 2006 was a "down" year for UConn/UTenn? Maryland had to beat really good UNC (Larkins/Little/Latta) and Duke teams (Bales/Hardings/Waner) to win that title.

Reaction Score
Props to you hoophuskee. An outstanding rebuttal to which I can only generally reply that the better team does not always win on a given night. Even the great 2002 team struggled against Virginia Tech.
1. Your mentioning the struggle of the 1995 team against Virginia is much appreciated. In a similar spot the prior year against North Carolina, UConn did not have an answer. In 1995 they had Nykesha Sales. And that is the person to whom Coach Auriemma gave the ball in crucial junctures. However that 1995 team was loaded. Think about it, three NPOYs and Nykesha Sales.
2. I, too, believed that Tennessee might have been the better team in 2003 and the Lady Vols should have won that game in CT. From that game on, UConn was the best team in the country the hiccup against Villanova notwithstanding. Texas, though, was the better team that night in the semifinal and should have won it. UConn stole that one. Perfect case of survive and advance.
3. 2004 - UConn was the reigning national champion and the entire team returned.
4. You are probably right about Notre Dame being the better team in 2013. As mentioned on this forum on at least two occasions, no team in WCBB has beaten an opponent four times in the same season.
5. Notre Dame's national championship season in 2001 - As good as Notre Dame was, it will be difficult convincing me that they were better than UConn, the reigning national champions who added uber talented Diana Taurasi. True, UConn lost Ralph and Abrosimova to injuries. However, a team capable of getting to the Final Four without the injured stars is capable of winning it all, and this team was more than capable because, when you think about it, every significant member of the great 2002 team was present on the 2001 team.
6. Stanford's 2008 team better than UConn? No way. Coach Auriemma likes to fall on his shield for poor coaching decisions in that semifinal game. Coaching is not what lost that game. As with UConn's loss to Stanford this season, the defense was exposed and one of our All Americans was 4-18.

Reaction Score
So what are the goals of the other 340 Division I teams? To lose another NC?

Pretty lame, Jeffster.
There might have been a time in the late 80's and early 90's, where Geno recruited girls who wanted to win a national championship and take that smirk off Pat Summit's face. Would you bet that he never ever said that??

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So what if 2006 was a "down" year for UConn/UTenn? Maryland had to beat really good UNC (Larkins/Little/Latta) and Duke teams (Bales/Hardings/Waner) to win that title.
UNC, Duke, and Maryland were all really good, but given their combined 17 championships, I don't think anyone other than UConn or Tennessee wins when those two dominant programs have up years. We were definitely a flawed team, but we took Duke to OT in the regionals. The ACC teams were great offensively, but didn't play much defense.

Reaction Score
Props to you hoophuskee. An outstanding rebuttal to which I can only generally reply that the better team does not always win on a given night. Even the great 2002 team struggled against Virginia Tech.
1. Your mentioning the struggle of the 1995 team against Virginia is much appreciated. In a similar spot the prior year against North Carolina, UConn did not have an answer. In 1995 they had Nykesha Sales. And that is the person to whom Coach Auriemma gave the ball in crucial junctures. However that 1995 team was loaded. Think about it, three NPOYs and Nykesha Sales.
2. I, too, believed that Tennessee might have been the better team in 2003 and the Lady Vols should have won that game in CT. From that game on, UConn was the best team in the country the hiccup against Villanova notwithstanding. Texas, though, was the better team that night in the semifinal and should have won it. UConn stole that one. Perfect case of survive and advance.
3. 2004 - UConn was the reigning national champion and the entire team returned.
4. You are probably right about Notre Dame being the better team in 2013. As mentioned on this forum on at least two occasions, no team in WCBB has beaten an opponent four times in the same season.
5. Notre Dame's national championship season in 2001 - As good as Notre Dame was, it will be difficult convincing me that they were better than UConn, the reigning national champions who added uber talented Diana Taurasi. True, UConn lost Ralph and Abrosimova to injuries. However, a team capable of getting to the Final Four without the injured stars is capable of winning it all, and this team was more than capable because, when you think about it, every significant member of the great 2002 team was present on the 2001 team.
6. Stanford's 2008 team better than UConn? No way. Coach Auriemma likes to fall on his shield for poor coaching decisions in that semifinal game. Coaching is not what lost that game. As with UConn's loss to Stanford this season, the defense was exposed and one of our All Americans was 4-18.

Love your post.

Interesting how we look at things differently/ project things differently when we were among the best in basketball.

How do you project this year and next 2 years? Here is how I see it-
This year we shouldn't lose the rest of the way.
Next year I think we should win the title. Though next year there will be several great teams.
Year after it depends if Tuck stays and how good will Butler be. because I don't believe Tuck will stay - even if we get other supreme freshmen recruits in the 2016 class - until I see them on the floor - I don't think we'll be the favorites.

And I have the right to change my mind!

Reaction Score
Love your post.

Interesting how we look at things differently/ project things differently when we were among the best in basketball.

How do you project this year and next 2 years? Here is how I see it-
This year we shouldn't lose the rest of the way.
Next year I think we should win the title. Though next year there will be several great teams.
Year after it depends if Tuck stays and how good will Butler be. because I don't believe Tuck will stay - even if we get other supreme freshmen recruits in the 2016 class - until I see them on the floor - I don't think we'll be the favorites.

And I have the right to change my mind!

I agree although I have absolutely no opinion at all about whether Morgan Tuck will stay for her fourth season, nor have I given any thought to UConn's fortunes beyond next season.

Reaction Score
Seventeen conference championships? How many national championship? Just two I believe.

Reaction Score
Hard to argue most of these posts but the 2001 team included the 2002 team plus Shea & Svet.( 2 all am.) . 2003&2004 were really carried by DT.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people are discounting Marissa. She's been at UCONN for almost as long as Shea (Shea came in 2008 and Marissa at the end of 2009). Just because she wasn't a UCONN player, I think she's been with the team long enough where I think she totally gets how UCONN does it, and if she's passionate about continuing that way, she would be my preferred choice.
Shea is much more passionate IMO. She's very animated, slapping her clipboard, etc. Seems to hate to lose; that's why I like her.

Reaction Score
Back to original thoughts... Jeff is both a good coach and a good recruiter. I think you, Wonster are off a bit this time... only tis time :}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom